It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Are We Not All Dead Already?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:29 AM
link   

raymundoko
reply to post by RickinVa

You do know argillite is bedrock right? It's pretty much what Japan, China, New Zealand and Australia are made out of....

I believe Japan and NZ are complete argillite. It is a very hard Bedrock.

An argillite /ˈɑrdʒɨlaɪt/ is a fine-grained sedimentary rock composed predominantly of indurated clay particles. Argillaceous rocks are basically lithified muds and oozes. They contain variable amounts of silt-sized particles. The argillites grade into shale when the fissile layering typical of shale is developed. Another name for poorly lithified argillites is mudstone. These rocks, although variable in composition, are typically high in aluminium and silica with variable alkali and alkaline earth cations. The term pelitic or pelite is often applied to these sediments and rocks. Metamorphism of argillites produces slate, phyllite, and pelitic schist.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:32 AM
link   

ENrgLee

I have nothing else to say other than they are not going to freeze the ground...the logistics of this make it damn near impossible and would most likely cost more than the country of Japan is willing to spend...

They are.

It doesn't

And only $470 million

www.cnn.com...

The government of Japan should have stepped in 1,039 days ago... its too late now... all they can do is walk away and just like you, pretend that everything is going to be ok.....

Then why are they actually BUILDING the ice wall?

I don't walk away, and I don't pretend.

I acknowledge reality, as opposed to screaming at the top of my lungs that the sky is falling, when it's just a little rain.

Grow up, man.... it's not the end of the world.

Just like chernobyl wasn't the end of the world.

I never said it was the end of the world dude.......... but don't cry too much if your grandkids or greatgrandkids have 3 eyes or an extra set of legs....... radiation causes mutations......... there is NO SAFE level of radiation....

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Argillaceous rocks are basically lithified muds and oozes.

"Lithification (from the Greek word lithos meaning 'rock' and the Latin-derived suffix -ific) is the process in which sediments compact under pressure, expel connate fluids, and gradually become solid rock."
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

radiation causes mutations......... there is NO SAFE level of radiation....

Then explain why you are radioactive right now.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:36 AM
link   

ENrgLee

radiation causes mutations......... there is NO SAFE level of radiation....

Then explain why you are radioactive right now.

Again there is no safe level of radiation...... radiation causes changes on a cellular level, sometimes leading to mutations.... I take it you have never seen any of the pictures of the kids that grew up downwind from Chernobyl..... google them,,,, its not a very pretty sight.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I don't think you understand. Argillite is bedrock.

Bedrock isn't a specific type of rock. It is a common term for the rock layer below soil.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

In stratigraphy, bedrock is the common term for consolidated rock underlying the surface of a terrestrial planet, usually the Earth.

edit on 13-1-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Again there is no safe level of radiation

So... you are suffering from radiation poisoning right now?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:41 AM
link   

raymundoko

I don't think you understand. Argillite is bedrock.

Bedrock isn't a specific type of rock. It is a common term for the rock layer below soil.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

In stratigraphy, bedrock is the common term for consolidated rock underlying the surface of a terrestrial planet, usually the Earth.

edit on 13-1-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

argillite is also known as mudrock which is exactly what I stated........They would have to drill very very deep to find "solid" rock or bedrock..... there's simply too much groundwater in the area for an ice wall to be effective.....and exactly how much does it cost to maintain an ice wall... oh I dont know.... let's say 8,000,000 years??? That's the half life of some of the crap coming out of Fukushima

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:42 AM
link   

* N O T I C E *

The personal attacks, sniping and snarky exchanges end now!

This personal back and forth has gone on for multiple pages! Further posts which are directed at an individual member vs. the topic of the thread will be removed with possible action to follow against the member posting it.

Go After The Ball - Not The Player!

We expect civility and decorum within all topics

Energetic Debate is good. Vigorous debate can be fun. Beyond that lay argument and then, fighting. Please hold on the debate side of that line from here on.

Thanks

Wrabbit2000

edit on 13-1-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   

argillite is also known as mudrock which is exactly what I stated........They would have to drill very very deep to find "solid" rock or bedrock

But argillite IS solid....

One might even say that it is... Rock Solid.
edit on E1Mon, 13 Jan 2014 00:43:39 -0600120America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago by ENrgLee because: I don't care who you are, that's funny right there.

(post by RickinVa removed for a manners violation)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Edit: Post removed due to other post removal
edit on E1Mon, 13 Jan 2014 00:53:18 -0600120America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago by ENrgLee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by ENrgLee

Let me rephrase that so not to raise the ire of the moderator.....

Fukushima is going to continue for thousands of years to spew radiation into the environment, including the Pacific ocean....

No amount of discussion is going to change that, this disaster is way above the head of a local utility company (Tepco) and has been from day one.

If a major effort had been put forth from day one, like Chernobyl, then maybe some of this could have been mitigated.. but it wasn't.... now here we sit 1000 plus days later and not really much has changed other than they have been able to remove a few fuel rods.... I dont know the exact number but its a very small percentage of the 6000+ rods on the site.

The Coriums are in the ground.... no one knows where they are because the buildings are deadly to humans......there is so much gamma radiation that they are having trouble even using robots to take a look.

The title of the thread is "Why aren't we all dead yet"

and the simple answer is because man-made radiation is bad.... radiation is a deadly and silent killer but it does kill.

To those who believe that this is simply a local disaster confined to the Japanese mainland, you can not keep letting 300-400 tonnes of hot water go in the Pacific Ocean everyday for thousands of years and think that eventually its not going to show up on your doorstep. It will spread around the world even more than it already has.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   
How much radiation is safe? Just curious.

I had to have an x-ray in the hospital. They made my husband leave the room so he wouldn't be exposed. The medical association has changed their tune on annual mammograms for women because they found out that small bit of radiation each year was actually causing breast cancer!

If there is a safe amount of radiation, I've never heard of it before. Well, at least until Fukushima happened and the EPA raised the "safe" amounts.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Transition of radiation rates measured at environmental monitoring posts of the sites of JAEA
(Whole of northern Japan)

Please look for this Pdf to realize that the Opinion
"F'Shima is spreading Radioactivity since 03/11 until now"
is wrong.

We can see a peak in the first Days after the Tsunami but afterwards it is running out
very quickly:
JAEA Source

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

I appreciate that. Feel free to continue debating back and forth. As long as it's not personally directed, it's fair. I'll hop back off to what I'd been doing and leave everyone to an interesting topic.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Fukushima is going to continue for thousands of years to spew radiation into the environment, including the Pacific ocean....

Unless it is contained.

No amount of discussion is going to change that

Action will, and that action is taking place.

The Coriums are in the ground.... no one knows where they are because the buildings are deadly to humans......there is so much gamma radiation that they are having trouble even using robots to take a look.

And so long as we don't actually GO there, it won't be a problem for us.

The only method for radiation leakage, is through the groundwater into the ocean, and they are already putting up the ice wall, and probably followed up by a concrete barrier of sorts afterwords to prevent the groundwater from flowing over the cores.

Easy peasy.

Well... not "Easy" per se, but certainly do-able.

The title of the thread is "Why aren't we all dead yet"

and the simple answer is because man-made radiation is bad.... radiation is a deadly and silent killer but it does kill.

So... you are saying.... that the REASON that we aren't all dead yet from the radiation...

Is that the radiation is deadly?

You do realize that as far as answers go, that one sucks... right?

you can not keep letting 300-400 tonnes of hot water go in the Pacific Ocean everyday for thousands of years and think that eventually its not going to show up on your doorstep.

That's why they are building the wall....

To prevent that stuff from continuing to leak.

Didn't... didn't we already have this conversation?

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Taissa

Well, asking that is a bit like asking "What level of heat is safe"

Sure, heat can be dangerous.... and a LOT of heat will certainly cause damage, or maybe even kill you....

But your body has heat in it all of the time, and it will until you die.

The Dose is the important factor....

Not that radiation is present.

There is literally no place on earth where there is no radiation, it's all up in your body since your birth.

And you are still alive.

I had to have an x-ray in the hospital. They made my husband leave the room so he wouldn't be exposed.

Yeah, they make everyone except the patient leave the room... it limits their liability in the exceptionally rare case that something DOES happen.

The medical association has changed their tune on annual mammograms for women because they found out that small bit of radiation each year was actually causing breast cancer!

It's possible, sure... but it it not that likely.

If there is a safe amount of radiation, I've never heard of it before. Well, at least until Fukushima happened and the EPA raised the "safe" amounts.

Your body contains 8,000 discintigrations every second... as do all life forms on the planet earth.

There is no escaping it, we have lived with it since the beginning.
edit on E1Mon, 13 Jan 2014 01:17:34 -060010America/ChicagoAmerica/Chicago by ENrgLee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Taissa

I had to have an x-ray in the hospital. They made my husband leave the room so he wouldn't be exposed. The medical association has changed their tune on annual mammograms for women because they found out that small bit of radiation each year was actually causing breast cancer!

There is technically no safe amount of radiation.... there are places on the planet the the naturally occurring radiation is high than normal, but people have been living in there areas for centuries....

Plutonium is the worst of all the by products of nuclear fission... it has a half life of 80,000,000 years and is extremely dangerous to handle or be around.... they were using Mox fuel in one (possibly more) of the reactors.... Mox fuel,I believe, is fuel rods that are 6% plutonium.... that's most likely the scariest thing about fukushima.....there are just too many unknowns.

Another huge problem with Fukushima is that a lot of people base their beliefs or opinions on the information provided by Tepco which has been proven time and time and time again to be false.... they have been caught numerous times greatly under stating the amount of radiation coming from the 3 reactors.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 01:21 AM
link   

There is technically no safe amount of radiation

And how do you figure this?

I'd say the normal background radiation that we live through every day, and yet doesn't kill us, is "Safe"

Wouldn't you?

they have been caught numerous times greatly under stating the amount of radiation coming from the 3 reactors.

You have direct readings on the radiation levels being released, then?

I'd like to see it.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join