It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

REPORT: High School Students Take "Conspiracy Theories" Class

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:31 AM
link   
At first I was intrigued because of this:

www.activistpost.com...

"The class is varied in the topics but one thing we talked about was the moon landing being a hoax, we had to write a paper explaining why it was, or wasn't a hoax". She also stated that the class does mention 'The Illuminati', but "most of the kids only relate it to pop culture", and that the class seems to focus on it in that context. She said, "like Jay-Z and Rihanna being members of the Illuminati."

The name of the course is "Conspiracy Theories" and it is an elective open to juniors and seniors. It seems that the point of the course is to examine the history/reasons why the conspiracy's (sic) exist and the evidence on the sides of each debate. They cover various types of conspiracy's, the one's that I know of center around pop-culture like "Paul is Dead" and the "27 Club" and they do some on pharmaceutical vs holistic medicine.

"Oxford High School is not the only School around that is exploring these topics, and it isn't just limited to High School."

Link to High School Portal: conspirtheouscp.osd.high.schoolfusion.us...

And then this comes up:

Considers the "paranoid style" in America's political and popular culture and in recent American literature. Topics include allegations of "conspiracy" in connection with the Sacco and Vanzetti, Hiss, and Rosenberg cases; antisemitism and anti-Catholicism; and Watergate and Irangate. Usually offered every second year. - Mr. Cohen.

Notice the "Paranoid Style" comment? What student wants to be labelled "Paranoid" in a culture where students are increasingly under peer pressure to be the same rather than be seen as a little weird by dressing, acting, thinking differently than other class mates?

Comment on the story by anonymous:

"Anonymous said...

This class has one purpose, to discredit anything but the official version released by the MSM, for mass consumption.
Meanwhile even the non main stream press is downplaying the real life conspiracy which Snowden exposed, the manipulation of government, military, police and media by the NSA through blackmail."

So folks, do we have another conspiracy here? That of indoctrination of our youth while out of our house and under the control of Govt. Schools?

Although the course is an elective, how many will find it interesting enough to enroll because of current Pop Culture, it's kiddie stars and the new "Cool Illuminati" status?

Another:

"I think a lot of you are missing the point. This is Agenda 21.
The motives behind Common Core, and similar projects in Europe, are not to enlighten the children, but to identify the ones that may require extra ''tutoring'' in accepting the ''official'' narrative of their reality.
In this New World Order of a triumphant, 1984-templated plot, assimilation is now set to become the norm.
Keeping tabs from cradle-to-grave, controlling beliefs, pre-empting dissent and rationalizing every move they employ against us, have always been the weapons of a totalitarian, communistic state.
I fear the US is going through a sea-change and few can see it.
Control the minds of the next generation and the war is won. "

Not impossible to see what's coming folks. Control of the youth and what they will do, believe and say when they come of age and beyond is what's at stake here IMO.

Peace

edit on 9-1-2014 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:51 AM
link   
Any course that gets kids to think and question the status quo is a win in my book.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Just remember folks, condition 'em young!

In all seriousness, I do my own conditioning at home. I teach my children the skill of critical thinking. I ask them questions that I do not provide answers to. I then ask them to explain their logic to me. I also freely begin a debate with them, in an effort to show them alternatives....

IMHO, all parents should do this, as it is something the school system will no longer do for us....

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Hey, what a great concept! I especially like this if they do weigh both sides of something like the Moon Hoax question equally and with total seriousness in both directions. That way, even the kids assigned the side they don't agree with can learn how to understand the logic of a totally opposing view. Talk about a lost art in society today.

Hmm.. I wonder... I ought to pitch a course idea to my school and volunteer to be the adjunct to teach it.

...well, maybe after I have my own degree of course ..but that is a really novel and timely approach if it's done well!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

buster2010

Any course that gets kids to think and question the status quo is a win in my book.

I don't think this is being taught objectively. Right off the bat, everything is being labeled as a "conspiracy theory" as opposed to simply a "theory" or an "alternative theory". The media, of course, plays anything or anyone related to a "conspiracy theory" as being a tin-foil hat wearing kook that is about five seconds from a midnight movie gun-toting rampage. Then, they even go so far as to address "paranoia" almost in the same breath.

IMHO, this curriculum (without the benefit of being able to audit it personally, but rather simply from what I've read about it) has an agenda, which is to undermine anyone who does not accept the "official story" in the guise of being a class to learn about these topics in an un-biased spotlight.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Hey, what a great concept! I especially like this if they do weigh both sides of something like the Moon Hoax question equally and with total seriousness in both directions. That way, even the kids assigned the side they don't agree with can learn how to understand the logic of a totally opposing view. Talk about a lost art in society today.

Hmm.. I wonder... I ought to pitch a course idea to my school and volunteer to be the adjunct to teach it.

...well, maybe after I have my own degree of course ..but that is a really novel and timely approach if it's done well!

If it's approached the right way of course. Fully agree.

The right teachers with an open mind, even questions of their own would be a breath of fresh air in the system.

I believe your tenure here on ATS is paper enough to teach the tykes what's what...

Peace

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   

zeroBelief

IMHO, this curriculum (without the benefit of being able to audit it personally, but rather simply from what I've read about it) has an agenda, which is to undermine anyone who does not accept the "official story" in the guise of being a class to learn about these topics in an un-biased spotlight.

My thoughts exactly.

It will be interesting to follow up to see what their curriculum uses as resources. If I see CNN on the list....

Peace

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think it's a good idea as long as the students get to debate both sides of the subject and they get to do their own research and find their own sources, if they get to pick the subject on occasion then that would make it even better. I would have killed to have a class like this in high school, we had a debate club but the issues were always boring mainstream topics.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Oh good!

A laboratory to test whether or not (a theory)
a secret plot was indeed in the making prior to the act...

I have alot of hope for our youth who decide for themselves based upon media spin, and it's discrepancy with comprehensive journalism.

edit on (1/9/1414 by loveguy because: dang formatting

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
i can just imagine the assignment:
"form a conspiracy among your friends and make a report"
-extra credit for not showing your work

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
If this is done right it should be brilliant! Even entertaining these thoughts should open their minds and improve critical thinking.

I can see why the mention of paranoia could cause alarm here but i think it is a very valuable thing to discuss. I know from personal experience and the stories of others that upon first exposure to these ideas, it is very easy to get carried away with it all, believe anything. For a brief period years ago I went white at the sight of a helicopter, thought a delayed taxi meant I had stumbled upon some dangerous truth I shouldn't have and was being hounded for it. Laughably idiotic in hindsight but a powerful delusion at the time. Teaching conspiracy with no mention of paranoia would be a bad idea IMO.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Way back in prehistoric times to some of you ,back in 1968 schools started teaching Americanism verses Communism as a required subject in the 12th grade . The whole course was about rebelling against our current government and parental policy . Or at least it was then .We never had a test ! I found that very strange . Now I see exactly what was going on .reply to post by jude11

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
hahaha nice wish they had that when i was in school

posted on Feb, 3 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
As God is my witness I was that student! Hence the "weird moniker Screw them I know better any way. I read history alot.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zeroBelief

Good point.

In comes the indoctrination. But they will fail.

Why?

These people will try to "prove us wrong" and cannot then they will be awake.
You know...Audio/Video recording of explosions going off while they where collapsing, video taped evidence of molten steel(commercial jet fuel cannot melt that type of steel), fall speed violating newton's law of inertia,no planes hit wtc7 yet it falls in the same way the others did.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
The same master-conspiracy topics that are verboten on conspiracy web-sites would obviously not be allowed in school either.

posted on Feb, 4 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I wonder how many students are going to use ATS as a reference in this class. :-)

I think the class could be a good thing over all, each student will have to make up
their own mind on what they do or don't believe. After they do the research
for themselves.

leolady

new topics

top topics

join