It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We don't need a "Think Tank" forum, we need something else...

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

LiveForever8
We also have DontTreadOnMedia, too. Okay, some young and confident guys approach you about a video based collaboration, fantastic. Buuuuuuuuuuut, what about the members? What about getting behind them and giving them these opportunities?

There are so many talented people on here who are going to waste.

Absolutely agree...not sure competition is the answer, certainly not for me, but if it works to enliven the discursive arena and do away with some of the repetition, leading to a more progressive centralised development of ideas and information...then I will happily support it from the side-lines. If it becomes partisan or a popularity contest...that can only lead to continued blandness.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I support this idea on a trial basis and would love to see what ideas/solutions come out of it. I would think that, if someone has a topic they'd like to discuss in such a forum, then they could simply inform the mod and a thread could be opened.

Would it be protected? If so, how? If you decide to choose members randomly, could you explain the process?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:38 PM
link   

beezzer

pheonix358
Sounds good to me. I like the idea of bringing people together.

How about solutions to the energy needs of society.

P

Nice topic!

It spans international borders so it isn't "American-centric" and can draw and encourage EVERYONE to participate!

Making sure it, or much of it, is non-US will be critical to the success even though many non-US people can get involved in some areas of US subjects.

P

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:52 PM
link   

edit on 9-1-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Sounds very interesting, i cant wait to see how it develops

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   

beezzer
I'd still like to see "solutions" being discussed to the worlds current ills.

Solutions to global climate issues.
Solutions to healthcare.
Solutions to international problems like hunger, over-crowding, poverty.
Solutions to level 84 on Candy Crush Saga.

pheonix358
Sounds good to me. I like the idea of bringing people together.

How about solutions to the energy needs of society.

P

Damn it, sucker that I am for a good, and important, cause, and I do not include Candy Crush in that bracket...obviously...I have been working on some research for a while that while originally intended for various threads, kind of blew up and came together into something too substantial for ATS purposes...however, parts of it could work in some of these contexts...and yet, I don't play well with others...but coming up with solutions is pointless without dessemination...hmmm?

That puts me in a quandary.

I need more information on how this thing is going to work...the competition aspect is 'meh' but the idea of 'solutions' highly inviting.

toidiem
who shot JFK?

I've got a lot of that one sewn up too, some of the others as well, and will happily share that research also, I like the research, not so much the writing, hence why it is accumulating dust...but I don't agree with your premise of 'sticking with what ATS does best', progress sometimes demands change, and people putting their inquisitive, open minds together can only be a good thing, producing original and novel content, all the better. Samey, sameness is nothing to aspire to and leads only to complacency and a stagnant swamp of repetition.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Taking all the negative comments together, the solution is simple.

Don't participate. The rest of ATS will mosey along just as it is.

What some seem to be implying is this:

I don't like the idea, so you should not do it.

Well, why can't some of us do something different. If you don't like it, hey. fine! Just don't participate!

But to suggest that those that want this should not have the opportunity is just wrong thinking.

The world is so full of 'My way is the right way and everyone should do it my way' is crap!

I am all for it!

P

edit on 9/1/2014 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Heh, I imagine the t-shirts saying something like:

"I participated in the ATS Research Team contest and all I got was this lousy t-shirt"

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bybyots

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I would absolutely love to be in one of these "Think Tanks", or what ever you would like to call it.

Please u2u me so I know how to become part of the crew.....

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Sounds like a good idea. I say throw the ball in the water and see if it floats...

liking the new emotes..

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

I gave my two cents in the original thread, and the idea is one that bears merit for sure.

If I may though, can I extrapolate a little on the original idea based on what has been said here?

-One thing that could possibly considered, based off this;

watchitburn
I think it's a good idea, and I like the rivalry/competition angle.

Possibly, if members would be open to it. Assign a topic to a Mod/Team leader/Facilitator then have them pick willing members. I think this would be good to have diverse teams, otherwise it would just get cliquey.

It would encourage members to be open to working with people they might not otherwise agree with on other issues. It would go far towards helping to build a less partisan community I think.

I'm open to contributing.

Is a possibility of Mods or team leaders having their study partners chosen at random, rather than picked out. A) This removes the clique nature full stop as people who often disagree or even have had little to no contact with each other could be suddenly thrust together to work collaboratively, and B) have the topic chosen at random to increase the unknown level of research, perhaps chosen by yourself from a list of potentials. It just increases the challenge IMO.

Given that this may work, could it possibly be discussed by the owners/staff about seeing something similar making it's way into the Collaborative Writing forum? With the success of the Short Stories Competitions and the long-awaited non-writer status entries, we have a lot of potential writers that can now participate. Something similar could spark up and revive these otherwise left aside forums.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

An interesting take.

Place people who are diametrically opposed on issues in a position where they have to work together.

Brilliant and diabolical at the same time!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I'm kinda building off the short stories competitions and the way they have worked in the past. Usually either Tenth, who runs the comps, puts up a thread asking for ideas and everyone votes on what they would like, or the previous winners lay down a list of potentials for the next comp, and we go from there, culminating in the contest and subsequent posts and threads.

I'm just thinking you don't want it to turn out to be the heavyweight champ in one corner and the high-school nerd in the other so to speak. Think back to the school sports teams and how they were picked. You want to avoid the same thing here.

Another good point is focusing on world issues rather than solely US issues, but having said that, I would go outside my comfort zone to learn more about US issues to expand my mind.

One of my research threads I was hoping on getting started this year was a comparative list of the world's deadliest animals from across the globe. My thinking was being from Australia, most people the world over seem to think everything here is trying to kill you 24/7, and a global research project would show the participants (and of course the readers) that we are not the only country with dangerous species, or at least something along that vein. In any event it would be fun to study this kind of thing, as you and I know from the research forum in the past.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   
reply to post by 74Templar

Agreed.

That being said, there are so many that I would want to team up with!

I don't see so much disparity between strength of opinion than I do difference of opinion.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

That being said, there are so many that I would want to team up with!

If ya don't team up with me, I'm going to go over in that corner and cry.

Maybe I'll do that anyway

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:05 PM
link   
If you want a competition, then by all means randomize the groups,

BUT

If you want serious research done then allow teams to form naturally so they have like minded people within them.

I prefer the second approach,

BUT

Why not have both!

P

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Like the idea. It would be good to see some research on things that come up continually on ATS, if for nothing else than to get the facts all in one spot. Such as...

*Fukushima and nuclear power.
*Terrorism and/or How the government has gained more control (can be separate but my research shows they are closely linked. Would begin with "does the government have more control" - to make it valid.
*Climate change
*Animal die off's (a year by year analysis).
*Monetary systems through time.
*Disease through the ages.
*how much pollution is really created by people every year?

Social issues such as...
*War - social conditions before, during, after. How much has it impacted the evolution of society.
*Social stratification - back to its roots and how it has/hasn't changed.
*Why people need/desire a leader.

Even some fun ones like...
*What do we see in a mate and therefore chose unconsciously as a way to support survival and strength of offspring (not an explosive topic but interesting findings on this).
*what actual qualities do people vote on in an elected official....(what are people really voting on - charm, promises, prominent nose....look at all top officials to see what they have in common).

For creative people who are good with art, music, etc....
*What the most successful musicians have in common (personality wise; their history).
*How art impacts the world - from cave paintings all the way to using it in advertising. How it works on our brains and why we are attracted to it.

These would look more like a literature review I imagine? Gather research on the topic, collate findings, assert a new theory or draw conclusions? Will look forward to seeing what comes of this.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   

I would love to sign up, but with one request, I be paired with those who are not of my "ideology".

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
In terms of not seeming "exclusive", how would teams be made? What if someone doesn't get selected for a team? How would that be dealt with? I think in an attempt to not appear "exclusive"; even though exclusiveness is found throughout the site; you will create a bigger problem of disenfranchising members who don't get to participate in your "inclusive" idea because they failed to garner a "team"/

Or maybe I read it all wrong.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join