It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We don't need a "Think Tank" forum, we need something else...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   

aboutface
I'm having trouble seeing how this differs from collaborative writing and the research forum? Would someone care to enlighten me?

As I'm reading this...The difference would be in excitement and exposure.

The research forum is something I'm only familiar with because long ago I went reading through it out of pure "what is this anyway??" curiosity. It didn't take long to see that even while it was very active ...much of the board probably hadn't been much more aware of the happenings than I'd ever heard it talked about. It's a shame too...as some serious hard work was done by folks there for some serious outcomes on the effort.

This sounds like something with real prizes no less, that would generate some buzz and interest for a wide range to watch how it turns out for who wins...and what each effort produces for interesting stuff. So, if I get this right? The biggest difference is programming in a reason why even those not participating should care to watch what happens?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
That is a pretty good idea. It sort of sounds similar to the research program that was done about a year ago. Are people still doing that one?

edit on 9-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
So many things seem to break down as a result of competitive models. Take competition out of the equation.

Utilize beezzer's think-tank model powered by a cooperative paradigm, allowing open-source communities to organize themselves naturally, around a central problem with the focused goal of producing practical real-world solutions.

edit on 9-1-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

I like the idea.

How would the "teams" be comprised?
...Random selection?
...Waiting List?
...Topical proficiency?
...Draft?

Would the teams be "permanent" - or for a designated "term"?

And - if you don't mind - how does the collaboration take place?
Is there a sublayer of ATS where private sessions (multi-player) can take place...secretly?

Lastly - what are the odds that ATS could incorporate some mechanism for multimedia presentations within threads - to curb the need of linking to YouTube or other outside media sources for such a tool?

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Yeah we need a history forum!
edit on 9-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
How about a Tank Think(er) Forum???

sorry I couldnt resist

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

I dislike the rivalry/competition idea, the "inclusive" exclusiveness of teams, and the time-limit of the solution.

I think, instead, it should be an open forum with a common goal of finding solutions, and not much more than that. No closing of threads due to time, no t-shirt prizes, and no competition -- just pure unadulterated solutions...

That was the part I liked about beezers' idea, anyway -- finding conceptual solutions to real world problems. Why? Because I think there is an audience for solution based discussions, instead of only having debates without common goals.

My solutions to this problem, or lack of content for audience, is that you could add a forum that has a special reply page with the mandatory function of filling in a top part for addressing a problem, a bottom part for giving a solution, and a guild-line of solving the opening posts problem. No more no less.

Just my opinion.

Add: As a matter of fact, I think it would be a good idea to allow all thread creators, in all forums, the option of choosing if their thread is a plan old discussion thread or a solution based thread -- and go ahead and throw in poll based threads as well.

edit on 1/9/2014 by Bleeeeep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Sounds like a great idea, however I agree with what's already been raised about there being a time limit. Why have one? Is this just back patting exercise for a t shirt or a serious delve into finding answers to problems?

Can we have a suggestions forum for topics? Also what about supporting threads for all Members to use and have their input on the controlled thread?

My suggestion for a topic, to launch a satellite with the Ats logo for a small budget.

Edit I dont mean actually launch one

edit on 9-1-2014 by ProleUK because: Wine

edit on 9-1-2014 by ProleUK because: Wine

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:27 PM
link   

seasoul
So many things seem to break down as a result of competitive models. Take competition out of the equation.

Utilize beezzer's think-tank model powered by a cooperative paradigm, allowing open-source communities to organize themselves naturally, around a central problem with the focused goal of producing practical real-world solutions.

edit on 9-1-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

Second this motion. The think tank idea was wonderful, and may have helped to solve real world problems in a dignified and serious way. Not to race to the beat of a time clock and win a tee shirt.

And I also say "Yay" to the ideas of a History Forum and the Animal/Pet Forum.

But all in all, something good will likely emerge from all these ideas.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I'm iffy about the time constraints on these threads because what about if someone comes up with an eleventh hour solutions. Then we would have missed out on that. Why not leave the threads open for discussion if an amazing conclusion has not been reached?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Solutions to level 84 on Candy Crush Saga.

*Raises hand* You can put me in that group. I'm currently at level 500 and awaiting new levels.. I know Candy Crush Saga well, which is REALLY sad actually!
edit on 9-1-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I think it's a great idea. Competition has been what's for dinner around here since I first logged on.

My team is going to have one hell of a t-shirt collection.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Hey I had an idea!

Instead of t-shirts, do patches ala "black projects" military patches...

ETA: You could use the forum icons for patch design.

Double smiley.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Bybyots because: . : .

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I think it's a good idea, and I like the rivalry/competition angle.

Possibly, if members would be open to it. Assign a topic to a Mod/Team leader/Facilitator then have them pick willing members. I think this would be good to have diverse teams, otherwise it would just get cliquey.

It would encourage members to be open to working with people they might not otherwise agree with on other issues. It would go far towards helping to build a less partisan community I think.

I'm open to contributing.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:42 PM
link   

watchitburn
I think this would be good to have diverse teams, otherwise it would just get cliquey.

It would encourage members to be open to working with people they might not otherwise agree with on other issues. It would go far towards helping to build a less partisan community I think.

THAT in itself is an admirable goal. I'm in.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Whatever way you set up - thinkers or teams, don't try to:
end world hunger,
establish peace on earth,
develop the unified theory of everything, or
explain the meaning of life.

Stay with what the site is best at:
who shot JFK?
who blew up the building in OKC?
what really happened on 9/11?
exposing the NWO agenda! (especially the money trail)
figuring out who that guy in the WH really is!

Getting to the truth on those would change the world as we know it. If the truth can't be discerned, a consensus report would still be better than numerous rambling threads where the best posts are lost in a sea of point-counterpoint quarreling.

And you really don't need to lock everyone out. Start with core members that can post unmoderated but allow others to post with mod approval of each submission. Another alternative would be to let others submit suggestions to a participating member through U2U. I prefer the moderated post approach, but mods might think it's too much work.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

watchitburn
I think it's a good idea, and I like the rivalry/competition angle.

Possibly, if members would be open to it. Assign a topic to a Mod/Team leader/Facilitator then have them pick willing members. I think this would be good to have diverse teams, otherwise it would just get cliquey.

I'm open to contributing.

That's a really good idea.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

This is most definitely a step in the right direction.

For most members ATS is where their journey begins. Unfortunately, it is also where their journey ends. More often than not new members come bright-eyed and bushey-tailed with the absolute conviction that they WILL uncover the truth, and when they do...it breaks their heart. This, I believe, is where ATS lets members down. It is the equivalent of abandoning an addict at the very moment they have just taken the bold step of admitting they have a problem.

"Yes, you do. Now get on with it!"

More interactivity is needed. More communal research and discussion. More diversity.

The radio shows are a great start, for sure. I wasn't aware that members were now being given the chance to produce their own radio shows until a couple of weeks ago. What a wonderful opportunity!

We also have DontTreadOnMedia, too. Okay, some young and confident guys approach you about a video based collaboration, fantastic. Buuuuuuuuuuut, what about the members? What about getting behind them and giving them these opportunities?

There are so many talented people on here who are going to waste.

Musicians.
Artists.
Writers.
Graphic Designers.
Videographers.

The list goes on and on...

I just feel that ATS is playing it safe. Recent events elsewhere have proven that people power can achieve an enormous amount in such a short space of time.

You have the people.

Time, though, is running out.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Sounds good to me. I like the idea of bringing people together.

How about solutions to the energy needs of society.

P

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   

pheonix358
Sounds good to me. I like the idea of bringing people together.

How about solutions to the energy needs of society.

P

Nice topic!

It spans international borders so it isn't "American-centric" and can draw and encourage EVERYONE to participate!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join