It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We don't need a "Think Tank" forum, we need something else...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
This is a follow-up to the basic idea represented in the Think Tank thread.

AboveTopSecret.com has never been about "exclusivity," and the couple of attempts to move slightly in a similar direction regarding political topics didn't work out so well.

The staff have been discussing a few ideas recently, one being much more "inclusive" than the Think Tank Forum idea… and it's rather simple at its core.

The idea, "ATS Teams."

While initially seeming to be exclusive, the idea is for the teams to be small, no more than a team-leader and four team-members who focus on specific topic areas. The goal being collaborative research, writing, and incredible new topics. And an added bonus is that each "team" will have a mentor from our staff.

The thought is to kick this off with a tread contest among teams. During a finite period in time, the teams would have an opportunity to pick a topic/subject and begin research for a new thread to be published within "X" days of starting. Then, we define a fair metric (new visitors?) for success of the thread… winning teams would get custom T-shirts (or something similar), and a significant donation to a charity of their choice.

If the contest works out, we could conceivably continue with the concept, and have new awards every three months.

Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

As I am the originator of the Think Tank thread, I see this as a great alternative.

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Sounds cool. Where do I sign up?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   

I love the idea

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Beezer should get the first tee shirt for the original idea that was expanded upon, and maybe they should be numbered, or dated.
edit on 40000001010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: (no reason given)

P.S. Love the new SO avatar; not nearly as intimidating as the former one.

edit on 4u1010America/Chicago311 by nugget1 because: Correct spelling

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   
The staff did this about 7-8 years ago and it worked out pretty well. A lot can be done when there's collaboration in a small focused group.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:13 AM
link   

This is a sincere question...

What is the goal of this new endeavor, and how will you know when you have reached that goal?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

nugget1
Beezer should get the first tee shirt for the original idea that was expanded upon, and maybe they should be numbered, or dated.

I'll sign it.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Klassified
What is the goal of this new endeavor, and how will you know when you have reached that goal?

The goal is to promote productive collaboration amongst members as well as staff.

Participating members getting something out of it -- leaning more, getting to know other members better, etc. -- is probably the best way to know if the goal is being achieved.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Sounds good to me.

Would the teams be originated top-down or coordinate and 'collect themselves' asking for a staff mentor of your choice or their choice . . . or

some combination of the above . . . or what?

T-shirts and a charity donation would be better than points.

However, I still like the points and think they are a reasonably good reinforcer for a lot of folks. BTW, could we still see our points . . . once a week or once a month--even privately? LOL.

I think the notion of TEAM BUILDING on ATS would be a great one to walk out. There's an overabundance of factionalism and negative dog-piling.

Thx Thx.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

A worthy goal, SO. Thanks for the reply.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by nugget1

I think beezer's T-shirt should have a bunny tail in the back--at least an image of one. LOL.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Well it seems like a great idea, I am sure that it will be fun and interesting for those that will become part of these new teams.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Can a level playing field be guaranteed?

How will ATS ensure that these "teams" are not infiltrated, by salaried government conspirators?

source: www.commondreams.org...

edit on 9-1-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I think this is an outstanding idea. I'll bet some really valuable content could come out the far end of some of the team research efforts too!

I would be very happy to volunteer and give time to this in whatever spot I may best fit. I think it could lead to some great things into the future, if it all comes together right!

* Personally I think SkepticOverlord carefully planned the timing of this just so we'd have Thumbs Up signs to use again while reading about it. Maybe that ought to be researched?

(cue X-files music)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I'm having trouble seeing how this differs from collaborative writing and the research forum? Would someone care to enlighten me?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   
How would you suggest we go about picking teams? PM's? A team building thread?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Im in. I spend so much time here a t shirt would be nice.
Whats the topic?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Sounds like an interesting (and useful, potentially,) combination of the Research and Debate Forums.

For my first project, I want to research the process of overturning the 22nd Amendment, so that Barack Obama can have a third term. Based on the discussion during last night's show, I'm guessing that Beezzer will volunteer to be "team leader".

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by adjensen

I felt the "burn" all the way up in North Dakota!

I think a topical discussion like alternatives to healthcare would be interesting and tax this little critters mind.

I'd still like to see "solutions" being discussed to the worlds current ills.

Solutions to global climate issues.
Solutions to healthcare.
Solutions to international problems like hunger, over-crowding, poverty.
Solutions to level 84 on Candy Crush Saga.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join