It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NBC - "Prepared for the Worst at Sochi"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I take your point, but it doesn't apply here, in my opinion.

If the power of the Russian oligarchy decided trouble at Sochi would be a good thing, the corruption you're talking about would factor in, I'd think. It might be a very dangerous factor and have odds of success, actually. As it is, I'm thinking Russian organized crime (or what they call a good % of Government) is all over Sochi but to make money and bilk contracts, not to literally kill the golden goose.

In this case, Putin and the Russian Security Services have a history and a deeply personal, ugly history with the Jihadi fighters that transcends all that. Things like the Beslan school massacre, the Moscow theater takeover and a range of other events have turned feelings viciously hard and brutally unforgiving for Russia, IMO.

.....In the 1980's, when taking Western civilians as hostages was a local sporting event in Lebanon, it's said they tried the same with other nationals as well. We know they did, but what isn't widely talked about was how the Soviets responded when one of their people was kidnapped. I believe it only happened once ....ever...and there is real good reason for that. I won't spoil it but to say Russia doesn't play. They terminate their problems and move on quickly...unlike other nations that really get into exploiting every tragedy like a golden opportunity or something.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I think something big will happen because:

A: Almost all countries are sending small time politicians to the games instead of their "leaders"
B: Saudi Arabia warned Putin that if he continues to aid Assad his olympic games would be ruined. And so far i don't see Putin turning his back on Assad.

So my bet is these games are gonna be bloody

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:34 AM
link   

zilebeliveunknown
Are you wondering from your personal stance based on your thought process, or after reading this stupid article?

I wonder how safe it'll be because of the unrest in that part of the world.
I was 'wondering' about it before reading the article.

I mean really, they mentioned Olympics from '72 as their point of reference to come to conclusion something bad is going to happen in Sochi?

They mentioned it because it's always at the back of a many peoples minds when the Olympics come up every few years. It is always there. And the fact that the Sochi area of the world isn't exactly stable brings what happened in '72 to the forefront of people's minds. Perhaps you weren't alive back in '72 .. or weren't old enough to remember the events. But I do. And yes, the incident does cross my mind every time the Olympics happen. It was a VERY BIG DEAL.

Fear mongering, agenda driven article for discreditation of Sochi Winter Olympics

I have no idea where you get that someone is trying to 'discredit' the Sochi Olympics.

I wonder who pays them to publish these crap.

It was an interview with TV execs. Usually no one gets paid for these things.

Oh, does this mean we have to cancel all sport events which were affected with some kind of terrorist threats or attacks?

That's a rather extreme statement from you. No where did anyone suggest any such thing.
Your response is rather intense ... and it reads like you are personally insulted that NBC is 'concerned'.
At least that's how it sounds to me. I don't know if that is your intent or not ....

edit on 1/9/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Before every Olympics we hear about threats and the entire board starts getting nervous. Usually though, nothing happens. Look at the London games -- everyone was SURE something horrible was going to happen, nope. There were all kinds of crazy rumors and stories going around. I remember one discussion about a British Airways commercial showing a jet driving around London.

I doubt anything will happen, Russians are really good at security. You can't even visit Russia without having tested negative for HIV. Yes, that's right -- you have to get an HIV test to enter Russia.

Sometimes I wonder why America doesn't require that as well.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
The NBC man said "Eyes wide open" that means them. So I presume they are going there en force, not just a local guy on a dodgy mobile, WTF wants to look at that? 'seen enough already.
Besides, we are at a point when spying is exponential to what ever came before, so what's it gonna take? guys with boxcutters once again?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:41 PM
link   

gladtobehere
When did the Olympics become Sochi, what is that?

Sochi is a city in Russia -- do some research. It is the hosted city of the Olympics. Did you ask the same question when it was in Beijing? Salt Lake City? Tokyo? etc....or are you just really really young?

And whats the point of the Olympics anyway, a global distraction as the world implodes?

The Olympics were a moment when the world can get together and show we can at least all cooperate to highlight the best of the best in terms of physical prowess. At least that is how I saw it. Now? It is a money maker for organizations all over the world on the backs of those who still want to show they are the best of the best at what they do.

The whole thing is shameful. The wealthiest nations with the most resources always do the best, only to then brag about their "accomplishments".

Not always true. A lot of "poor" nations win events that the USA, Russia, UK, etc, do not. They just aren't known or televised.

What is wrong with celebrating excellence in what individuals (or a team) achieve?
edit on 9-1-2014 by ownbestenemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

gladtobehere
reply to post by zilebeliveunknown

Well yah.

We have to be kept in a constant state of fear. Otherwise, how are TPTB going to control us and strip us of our rights?

edit on 9-1-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

Statements like this are just as naive as people who believe terrorists are hiding around every corner.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   
So because no attacks occurred in London means there couldn't possible be an attack at Sochi?Simply because many here are so sure nothing will happen has me almost sure something will,now.
The recent suicide attacks in the region could have been dry runs or probing for security weak spots.
edit on CSTFriam5761 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

edit on CSTFriam5761 by TDawg61 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join