It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nature Of Desire

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:17 AM
link   
"It is of the nature of desire not to be satisfied, and most men live only for the gratification of it." — Aristotle

Possible explanation: Human desires are by nature limitless and insatiable, and the majority of people live trying to satisfy their desires.(1)

Is this not true for the vast majority of us out there?

a. What happens when we have nothing? We dream of having something.
b. What happens when we have something? We dream of having more.
c. What happens when we have more? We dream of having it all.
d. What happens when we have it all? We dream of having nothing.

And so the cycle continues...

Everybody on this planet can relate to at least one of the above four stages of Dissatisfaction. Those who have had richly abundant life experiences can probably relate to all four. Nevertheless, the realisation that only a few truly enlightened individuals can be satisfied leaves a sour taste in our collective mouths. It seems unfair that most of us continuously chase the carrot on the stick which we believe will bring us satisfaction. But while it feels almost within reach at times, the distance is in reality painfully far.

edit on 9/1/2014 by Dark Ghost because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Possible explanation: Human desires are by nature limitless and insatiable,

the first 3 tenets of buddhism (..or some graffiti i saw before passing out in the toilets at Taco Bell?)

1. existence is suffering
2. the cause of suffering is desire
3. the cause of desire is attachment

..something i try to keep in mind while i chase my tail and scratch myself

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

There is only one ultimate end goal, that is suffering, you are never appeased and always searching. Desire should be stripped away, however don't mistake it for passion, always be passionate about what you do, just control your cravings for more and you will find some peace.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:36 AM
link   

UNIT76

Possible explanation: Human desires are by nature limitless and insatiable,

the first 3 tenets of buddhism (..or some graffiti i saw before passing out in the toilets at Taco Bell?)

1. existence is suffering
2. the cause of suffering is desire
3. the cause of desire is attachment

..something i try to keep in mind while i chase my tail and scratch myself

These are three of the four noble truths

Although it does sound like a possible epiphany one could have at taco bell hahaha

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   

What people do not realise is that we are meant to desire .This is what makes the world go round. Manifestation itself is a function of desire and only happened as a result of the principle of expansion which is desire.

Buddhist monks are here to provide a benchmark or put things in perspective. Anyone who has lived in predominently buddhist countries such as Thailand or Myanmar (Burma) will realise how their society takes in the principles of their spiritual leaders. They do not do it by having a non-attachment policy. In fact they are quite materialistic. Instead they seek advice from the monk in order to balance their urges.

It has already been mentioned elsewhere on ATS that we are not here to withdraw from the material world. I agree with this . If we were meant to , we would not be here in the first place.

Only the spiritually ignorant have a problem with desire. Yes, I have come across case of millionaires wanting to go to a poverty state. This a direct consequence of failing to cultivate any spirituality while making money. As a result they feel a lack.

edit on 9-1-2014 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
'More' is a thought.
Is there really any 'more' than there is?
One will feel lack if one believes thought.

Is there anything lacking?

edit on 9-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by crowdedskies

But the material world is our own creation, that is something that was not meant to be in the first place. Is it spiritually ignorant to try and deny attachment to impermanent things that are created by man?

Not having an attachment is not the same as denying yourself. I still have an Xbox at home, some clothes I prefer over others, however, I'm not going to get in a stress if my xbox breaks or my clothes get ruined, they are impermanent creations that we made and are not natural.

However we could argue what's natural or not is a different kettle of fish, I do not wish to derail this thread.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   
You know. I don't know how I've managed it, but I don't really much want things anymore. Occasionally something crops up that I really want, but that is very short-lived. It's been hell at Christmas time these last few years because everyone keeps asking for a Christmas list, and I spend hours staring at a blank sheet of paper realizing that I don't need anything or really much want anything. I actually have most of the things I need.

I'm largely content.

Oh sure, every so often I desire a good restaurant meal or maybe a new shirt or a book or two to read. But I could care less about the latest gadgets or a ton of new shoes or clothes. I don't need stuff and stuff and more stuff, and I don't see why other people do. And somehow, my husband is the same.

How do you get there?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   

iRoyalty

But the material world is our own creation, that is something that was not meant to be in the first place. Is it spiritually ignorant to try and deny attachment to impermanent things that are created by man?

Not having an attachment is not the same as denying yourself. I still have an Xbox at home, some clothes I prefer over others, however, I'm not going to get in a stress if my xbox breaks or my clothes get ruined, they are impermanent creations that we made and are not natural.

However we could argue what's natural or not is a different kettle of fish, I do not wish to derail this thread.

I am not far from your point of view. I also know the power and benefit of non-attachment. I share your view but there are other people out there who take the teachings of Bhudism too literally.

Most people think of attachment in terms of material things. For me, the worst case of attachment is couples where one partner will not accept that the other wants to end the relationship. There has been so many cases where one party kills the children and sometimes themselves in order to spite the other. Yet each party, in my view, has an equal right to freedom if so wished.

The biggest disease around the world is the confusion of love. It is amazing how nobody seems to be able to figure out that love in within yourself and you just project it to whatever person appears to be a suitable receptacle. What they do instead is try and possess the other under the guise of love.

My point is : desire as much as you want . Take and move on - rather like a butterfly taking nectar from a flower and moving on to the next. Perhaps , I am a bit of a buddhist after all.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:17 PM
link   

crowdedskies
The biggest disease around the world is the confusion of love. It is amazing how nobody seems to be able to figure out that love in within yourself and you just project it to whatever person appears to be suitable.

I agree.
Everyone is looking for love but they look out - they hope to find love from someone. That someone is doing the same. One day they realize that the other has no love but is expecting the other to fill them up with love but they have none. Everyone is begging for love because they have not looked for it inside.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Itisnowagain

Ah, but you can't really love another until you love yourself. Love and desire are two different animals.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I never was very materialistic, but have done with very little, I pretty much only desire the basics and beads.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

I never was very materialistic, but have done with very little, I pretty much only desire the basics and beads.

How modest you are. You have one of the most impressive star count and post count on ATS. You may not desire too many material things but you certainly have a big desire to communicate.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   

crowdedskies

iRoyalty

I am not far from your point of view. I also know the power and benefit of non-attachment. I share your view but there are other people out there who take the teachings of Bhudism too literally.

Most people think of attachment in terms of material things. For me, the worst case of attachment is couples where one partner will not accept that the other wants to end the relationship. There has been so many cases where one party kills the children and sometimes themselves in order to spite the other. Yet each party, in my view, has an equal right to freedom if so wished.

The biggest disease around the world is the confusion of love. It is amazing how nobody seems to be able to figure out that love in within yourself and you just project it to whatever person appears to be a suitable receptacle. What they do instead is try and possess the other under the guise of love.

My point is : desire as much as you want . Take and move on - rather like a butterfly taking nectar from a flower and moving on to the next. Perhaps , I am a bit of a buddhist after all.

I see too many people getting attached to other human beings, they think they're in love but love is mutual, you can't be in love unless the other person loves you back. This, unfortunately, causes far too much depression in young (and some older) people.

That's from personal experience on both sides of the fence!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I remember reading when two philosophers were in a debate, one was defending hedonism, the pursuit of pleasure.

The other philosopher basically said that chasing after pleasure and desires endlessly, is like scratching an itch endlessly, at first it may feel good, but it is not true satisfaction.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   

I don't have a whole lot to say in most my post.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Stormdancer777

I don't have a whole lot to say in most my post.

That is not important. What it important is that you have a lot of stamina. Sometimes we need to be like a rock for others and I am sure you are doing pretty much of that.

top topics

join