It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Khamenei's 'Fatwa' Forbids Online Chatting Between Men, Women

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Iran Khamenei's 'Fatwa' Forbids Online Chatting Between Men, Women

Internet chatting between unrelated men and women is against Islam and forbidden, ruled Iran's Ayatollah Ali Khamenei in a fatwa, according to Al Arabiya, a Saudi newspaper which monitors the Iranian media.

Khamenei, who is Iran's top political and religious authority, was responding to a question emailed to his office. "Given the immorality that often applies to this, it is not permitted," he answered. ...

Iran has blocked certain instant messaging applications and many popular websites — sometimes including Gmail and Skype — which are reachable only through third-party proxy servers.

CNN reported last summer that the government is trying to steer people to use a high-speed government-controlled intranet that opponents have dubbed "halal" or permissible under Islamic religious law.

Khamenei has his own website.
The Iranian president, Hassan Rouhani, has Facebook and Twitter accounts.
Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Zarif also has Facebook and Twitter accounts.

I immediately thought that this is more about political control rather than just religion. (although religion is also a control issue). The article quoted some 'young people' who voiced what I was thinking ... this is about control and the people in charge are using religion to control the population. (or ATTEMPT to control the population)

Information on Fatwas

How enforceable is this Fatwa? It's as enforceable as the people in charge want it to be.
It can be anything from ignored, to all the way up to it being 'law' and the death penalty could be invoked.

IF I'M READING THIS CORRECTLY ... now no Muslim from Iran can be on ATS without being guilty of breaking the FATWA against online discussions between men and women. I have not been able to find information on how much the Islamic Iranian gov't will be enforcing the fatwa - or even if they will be at all. Considering it's the Iranian gov't we are talking about, I"m sure they'll pull out this fatwa when they encounter people they think are 'problem people' ... like those who are online trying to gain freedoms for the young people in Iran. This could easily be used against the people trying to move Iran into a more free society.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Yet ATS would have you believe Iran is the defender of the free world.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:47 AM
link   
SA is mad at Iran and now that relationship between Iran and USA is going to get better , and the fact that FSA is losing in Syria , They want to to take a revenge.

I couldn't find the Fatwa , it is a LIE or it is not the whole TRuth.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

This is not addressed to the OP, of course, as she is a woman and I am now unable to address her directly.

This guy is nuts! Lots of these fellows are so sexually repressed that they cannot even think of talking to a woman online, sharing knowledge which everyone gains from, and then they try to force others to abide by their own mental illness.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

I'm curious and I know you are in a better position than many to relate from direct knowledge on some things about Iranian culture, from what I recall?

Is this such an odd or wild thing to have happen, if the Ayatollah were just shown what graphic cybersex is all about? A western thing that has become so common and "normal" in our society, many here would probably make light of the fact anyone in the world would see an issue with it ....but in Iranian or Arab culture alike, isn't the Sexting and Cybersex a really BIG deal for a end run around societal taboos and standards they take very seriously?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

Now, now, you don't know that for sure. "She" might now be a "he." It's the internet, and for the sake of preserving everyone's modesty and chastity and, most importantly of all, piety, I'm sure we're all men here. Right?

edit on 9-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:12 AM
link   
Btw, No one, under any circumstances, let that man anywhere near Second Life!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

ketsuko

Now, now, you don't know that for sure. "She" might now be a "he." It's the internet, and for the sake of preserving everyone's modesty and chastity and, most importantly of all, piety, I'm sure we're all men here. Right?

Well, I wouldn't talk to the OP regardless. Anyone with over two millions stars intimidates me, and hurts my eyes.

In this instance, though, I don't think she hides her gender (except in Iran). Me on the other hand, I may be one of those creatures that change sex depending on the temperature of the water.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
To me an even bigger better Fatwa is a women swimming in the sea commits adultery !
mostintolerantreligion.com...

When a woman goes swimming, as the word for sea is masculine, when “the water touches the woman’s private parts, she becomes an ‘adulteress’ and should be punished.”

- Summary of a report titled “The misguided Fatwas of the Muslim Brotherhood and Salafis”, as published in the Al Masry Al Youm

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

You better be careful with that. He might wind up issuing a fatwa on gender benders, too.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   

I'd be pissed if some beard in a toga said i can no longer meet chicks online.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Well, these are also the same crowd who believe that women cause earthquakes.

"Many women who do not dress modestly ... lead young men astray, corrupt their chastity and spread adultery in society, which increases earthquakes," Hojatoleslam Kazem Sedighi was quoted as saying by Iranian media. Women in the Islamic Republic are required by law to cover from head to toe, but many, especially the young, ignore some of the more strict codes and wear tight coats and scarves pulled back that show much of the hair. "What can we do to avoid being buried under the rubble?" Sedighi asked during a prayer sermon last week. "There is no other solution but to take refuge in religion and to adapt our lives to Islam's moral codes." Seismologists have warned for at least two decades that it is likely the sprawling capital will be struck by a catastrophic quake in the near future. Some experts have even suggested Iran should move its capital to a less seismically active location. Tehran straddles scores of fault lines, including one more than 50 miles long, though it has not suffered a major quake since 1830.

See? Tehran is doomed because of their own women! How dare they chat online with men, swim in the ocean and commit adultery, and dress like shameless hussies, showing off too much hair!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Interestingly this laws of religious meanings are always conflicting with the modern day Iranian youth and their own understanding of the modern word.

Iranian patriarchs that still hold to the old word are in a very tight spot taking into consideration that their views also conflict with the political leaders even when the political leaders always try to keep peace with them.

But as this Iranian religious patriarchs start to die, Iran will metamorphose eventually to a very different nation that the one this religious leaders are trying to protect and present to the world, and that is their biggest fear.

And I wonder why the link to Saudi Arabia when is clear that both countries do not agree with each other.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   

mideast
SA is mad at Iran and now that relationship between Iran and USA is going to get better , and the fact that FSA is losing in Syria , They want to to take a revenge.

If you read the article you will see it comes from a FOX news source. So chances are the story is false because it is FOX the "news" source that had to sue for the right to lie to the public.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Not sure where you guys are looking FOX is hardly the only place reporting this:

english.alarabiya.net...

muslimmirror.com...

world.time.com...

www.siasat.com...

www.jpost.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   

ketsuko
"She" might now be a "he."

Lemme check ... *peeks at self* .... yep, I'm still a 'she'.

Aleister
Well, I wouldn't talk to the OP regardless. Anyone with over two millions stars intimidates me, and hurts my eyes.

You guys are funny this morning. How about if I offer to 'redistribute the wealth' and give you a few
thousand stars? Would that make you more comfortable?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

mideast

If you 'couldn't find the fatwa' then either you didn't bother looking ... or the fact that you are using government run computer systems out of Iran means that they have blocked your access to all the information. Iran isn't exactly a shining tower of freedom of information.

Here you go ... a heavily 'muslim' source -
Al Arabiya

ran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has issued a religious edict (fatwa) banning online chatting between unrelated men and women, Iranian media reported on Monday, quoting Khamenei’s website: www.khamenei.ir.

The ruling came in response to a question sent to the supreme leader on his Website. His answer was: “Given the immorality that often applies to this, it is not permitted.”

The ruling came days after Iranian authorities blocked WeChat, a popular messaging app that enables smart phone users to access online social networks.

And here's Khamenei's official site - in Arabic - in which Al Araiya is quoting from.

www.khamenei.ir/‎

So according to your religious leadership over there ... you can't be talking on ATS.
There is a danger that you'll get all sex'd up or hot and bothered because there are females
posting on this website. So the question is .... will you be following the new rules and be
a good muslim and not post on this website anymore? Or will you do your own thing and
ignore the Fatwa?? (and yes, the Fatwa is real, according to Arab news sources)
edit on 1/9/2014 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   

buster2010
If you read the article you will see it comes from a FOX news source. So chances are the story is false ...

Nice try .... but swing and miss.
Fox picked it up from Al Arabiya which got it straight from the official website.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   

I couldn't find the page containing the Fatwa ??!!!!

And I am rally disappointed when I see you doing the old surfing on your own sea of imaginations and perceptions.

The clear thing here is that Muslim men and women can not show what Islam has already restricted them to show.

So , there was no need to hear anyone's Fatwa about those issues.

But that is not the problem here. These websites say Iranian leader has banned M & W from chatting in Internet.

That is most stupid. Because girls and boys speak and see each other in Universities. So , the first thing to ban should be the universities where they can contact physically. But they are not being banned.

So , the issue is what I said. Showing forbidden parts of the body is forbidden for Muslims everywhere , physically Or virtually.

And I know you have issues with showing those parts of body , but don't surf on the old wave.

Please....

edit on 9-1-2014 by mideast because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by mideast

Swing and miss. You deflected. Address the issue.
The Fatwa against chat sites is real. It is being reported by muslim press.
Will you be following the Fatwa as was issued by your Muslim religious leadership?
That means you'll have to stay off ATS in order to be a 'good Muslim' - according to them.
Or will you be picking and choosing which Fatwas you want to follow.
And if so ... are you prepared for the punishment that will come because you aren't being a 'good muslim' ??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join