It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Picture of Niagara Falls...FROZEN

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:55 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Don't you just love the idea that we are all paying taxes for global warming!

Fantastic picture of something I would never have thought would have happened. I never cease to wonder at the different faces our earth can present to us. Has Niagara evder frozen like this before, it seems to extreme?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Strange and beautiful ...

especially under blue skies.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

This has happened before a number of times in just the last century:
www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

btw, not sure exactly how the fact that there is a cold storm crossing part of our country can in any way negate the claims of global warming...

I'm fairly certain no global warming activist claims there will no longer be snow storms in the us.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Infinitis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:39 AM
link   
WOW, just wow !

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
You did notice that this image is from 2011?
Beautiful indeed!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Follow the Op's link
frozenrigid.wordpress.com...

February 13, 2011

Tis beautiful though!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:40 AM
link   

I wonder if this would have occurred had the Falls not been running at 25 percent of its natural water flow (the other 75 percent of its historical flow has been diverted by industrial-age modern man for electrical use). Although it is a nice picture and seems almost climbable!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   
The falls freezes every year. Look closely the water is still flowing.This is called the ice bridge.

As for the using of water from the Niagara for power,they only take water from the river at night.They fill a large resevoir behind the power project.That goes for the Canadians as well.The rest of the time during the day the river flows at full force.

Global warming has nothing to do with it.I have lived in this area for 6 decades and I have seen it every year.It's completely normal.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:19 AM
link   

lonegurkha
The falls freezes every year. Look closely the water is still flowing.This is called the ice bridge.

As for the using of water from the Niagara for power,they only take water from the river at night.They fill a large resevoir behind the power project.That goes for the Canadians as well.The rest of the time during the day the river flows at full force.

Global warming has nothing to do with it.I have lived in this area for 6 decades and I have seen it every year.It's completely normal.

Ah, that's the first I've heard of the water flow not running at only 25 percent at all times. Thank you, I hope you're right.

Can people walk or skate on any part of the ice bridge?

EDIT: The Wikipedia page on Niagara Falls says it runs at 90 percent except at night and during the winter months.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:31 AM
link   
Oh wow this is actually rather interesting and very beautiful. Will be interesting when the snow melts and the water begins to flow again.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:32 AM
link   

lonegurkha

Thank you for clearing this up lonegurkha...it being completely normal will come as somewhat of a relief amongst all the weather doom and gloom sensationalism people seem fixated upon lately.

Cheers.

Does look lovely though doesn't it.
edit on 9-1-2014 by MysterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   
That is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing that.

Can someone pleeeeeeease meme this photo with Keanu Reeve saying. "waooo!" Thank you.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:18 AM
link   

edit on AM000000310000000110220312014-01-09T05:20:08-06:00 by AutumnWitch657 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

It's fresh water why wouldn't it freeze? According to the site I just looked at they don't really freeze entirely.www.niagarafallslive.com...

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:18 AM
link   
The sarcastic attitude about global warming is getting really old. It's winter. It's cold. Doesn't mean things aren't going to change. And you won't be laughing when it does.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Jefferton
The sarcastic attitude about global warming is getting really old. It's winter. It's cold. Doesn't mean things aren't going to change. And you won't be laughing when it does.

Global warming isn't the term most global warming people use (sol - smiling out loud), but Climate Change. Ask the folks in Australia right now if the warming side of climate change isn't giving them a punch or two.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Aleister

lonegurkha

Ah, that's the first I've heard of the water flow not running at only 25 percent at all times. Thank you, I hope you're right.

Can people walk or skate on any part of the ice bridge?

EDIT: The Wikipedia page on Niagara Falls says it runs at 90 percent except at night and during the winter months.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

Wiki is wrong.They only take water to fill the resevoir. The resevoir is what serves the generators.I used to have a job servicing the power projects hydraulics.My information comes from the maintenance manager of the power Project.

Many years ago they allowed people to walk on the ice bridge.There are pics out there someplace. After some accidents the practice was stopped.That was before I was even born.The ice bridge is quite dangerous as the ice can shift at any time.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

It is quite beautiful.However walking on it is very dangerous as the ice can shift at any time.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   
It's opportune times like in that pic when the search for all the dead people who jumped off that thing over the years should take place...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join