It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New App Will Scan Your Date’s Face Quickly to See If They’re a Sex Offender

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Not really sure if this is the right forum so mods if need be please move to the correct one.

In my thread Ex-DARPA Head Wants You to Swallow ID Microchips I mentioned that Google Glass would be used to track and ID people. Well here we go, it's starting with an app to check if the person your interacting with is in the criminal data base.

here’s a soon-to-be-released app that identifies strangers by using a creepshot a user uploads of them, to further enable your cyberstalking ways. This latest advancement in technology is an app called NameTag. It works by users uploading a snapshot of a person, where it’s then scanned and compared to publicly available social media accounts and dating website profiles. It also scans criminal databases, like the National Sex Offender Registry, to identify pervs.

In my opinion this was the intent of Google Glass all along, just another social tool that people will use for fun while the gov. uses it to track the populace.

Android and iPhone users will have access to it, but Google Glass has banned facial recognition apps from its store. The app’s developer, Kevin Alan Tussy, notes that jail-broken Glass devices can use it if you are talented enough to slyly wink to take pictures of your future crush.

Notice that Google Glass to protect themselves from law suits mention that the device must be jail broken first. There are countries that do not allow the devices to be locked and they are major consumers of electronic devices. In the end, so much for it being locked.

Source

Ok ATS let's get your opinion.

Mods if already posted please delete.
edit on 1/8/2014 by pstrron because: add a little

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

I am forced to wonder, if the market accepts it then that makes it all ok right? Isn't that the point of that all glorious capitalism?
Furthermore, it doesn't seem to do anything that you or anyone else cannot do right now with other available apps and internet tools, including google's facial search. So what is the big problem? How can it be an invasion of privacy if it scans for pictures willingly put on the internet?

edit on 8-1-2014 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

One thing they mention, it hits the criminal data base so there is no doubt that it does more than they are letting on. Once it goes online its tracked and if the gov. can turn on your PC camera or phone without you knowing, they can do so with this as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Bad idea overall with these biometric face scanner tools popping up everywhere. Let alone an internal ID chip. Good luck with that unless they hold me down and physically stuff it down my throat.

As Google Glass I predict we'll see an upswing in facial clothing or coverings that will be used to defeat these technologies. Large wrap around sunglasses, lower face wraps, etc.

I hate this whole idea. That's why you'll never find a personal picture of me on the internet.
edit on 270pm0101pm112014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Bassago
reply to post by pstrron

Bad idea overall with these biometric face scanner tools popping up everywhere. Let alone an internal ID chip. Good luck with that unless they hold me down and physically stuff it down my throat.

As Google Glass I predict we'll see an upswing in facial clothing or coverings that will be used to defeat these technologies. Large wrap around sunglasses, lower face wraps, etc.

I hate this whole idea. That's why you'll never find a personal picture of me on the internet.
edit on 270pm0101pm112014 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

I have never posted an entire pic of my face on the internet either. Nor any photos of my daughter. I don't like all of the face "tagging" and what not going on and if it works as well as my voice mail to text app does... then you are just opening yourself up to all kinds of trouble that you may not deserve.

To OP - As I said above, I have an app that is supposed to take my voice mails and put them into text format and I wind up with something like this....
Really. It is sometimes not even close to what the actual message was. I have also used other programs that mess up or fail to do what they should do.

I wonder what will happen when one of these people who "have been identified as a pedophile" by this app purely by accident is beaten severely or killed because of it. Most people wouldn't go that far.... but there is always "that one guy/girl" that carries it to another level. For this alone I think the app is a bad idea. Computers are less likely to make an error than we humans are, but it does happen and something like this is a big risk IMO.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Agreed, but people are going to eat this up. Once Google Glass hits the market it will be the latest rage and must have device. They wont be able to keep it on the shelves. Yep we're hosed.

Ok sheeple, which door do you want into the slaughter house, door A or door B?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

I am given to understand that painting random geometric shapes on your face disorients facial recognition tech (in addition to the obvious dye jobs/shave and a hair cut, halloween make up tricks)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

Criminal databases like the National Sex Offender registry are also open to the public are they not?
Again, if it sells and sells well then too bad and thank capitalism. Seriously, all of this is just paranoia at this point. They already have plenty of tech to track us, why worry anymore?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:23 AM
link   
I wonder when they will make an app that scans people and tells you if they have an active profile on POF.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:31 AM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

If you had read the article then you would know that this app does exactly that.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

Thanks for the clue.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:09 AM
link   
It's secretive intent is most likely like all the other stuff people log into. You're simply helping them by adding files until everyone has been " perv checked". All this stuff; fscebook, twitter etc, is just to have the citizens help unknowingly. Work for them doing intel gathering but you don't get paid for it.

I can see it now, accidents caused by google glass distraction.
edit on 9-1-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Has it come down to this... that everyone must replace trust with gadgets to see if there are some kind of skeleton to dig out of a closet? I mean, cmon! If you don't want to get to know your partner before you meet them, why the hell would you go on a blind date anyways? This is saying that no one has the time to actually get to know anyone anymore. Lets just get an app that will tell you everything about them so you can get all the dirty stuff out of the way so... you can do the other dirty stuff.

This planet disturbs me every day. Such is the price of technology.

I've seen stories where people do the online dating thing, and gives their pictures to some unknown, who in turn, is nothing but a bot that takes the picture and puts it on some BS site that labels them a pervert and sexual predator. I've seen it posted on news sites. I wish I could remember the name of the site. THEN it sends an email to that person saying that they have been labled as perv or predator and it costs them money to remove the picture.

This is what I see happening... and at this time, no courts have done anything to the owners of this site and when the host removed the sites, they just spring up on another host and sometimes the hosts refuses to take them down.

How sad. Accept companies like Google and Facebook and this is what you will have to accept and deal with. This is what we should be fighting with our government and senators about.

edit on 9-1-2014 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   
reply to post by violet

I know several people who have been arrested by our police during their frenzie - to actually be seen to be now trying to catch all would-be paedophiles like high-profile Jimmy Saville, who have been arrested and then, when the feeding frenzie was over found to be completely innocent. Both were completely innocent but were however, arrested and that arrest appears on their CRB forever more, thereby destroying their work opportunities. So will these people also be included in the information given out with this App?

I don't only see this as a means of 'perv-checking' ultimately this could be used to blackmail people seen with the wrong partner or carrying out some other indiscretion. We are really up against the wall considering how much our privacy should be worth to us.

I have through life met several 'pious popsies' with the attitude, 'They can watch me as much as they like, I have done nothing wrong so don't care blah blah". However, often its these people that give one the most surprises, so I can't help wondering whether this kind of technology is yet another example of spying for the Government innocently carried out by the public on each other.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:38 AM
link   
Here's the problem for me.

2009 I went to nursing school. Had to get a criminal history check. Lucky for me I'm clean. But I had to get a background check through the FBI. Had a photo taken. Then a fingerprint scan ..both hands. This was done at UPS store of all places.

So I'm in the data base. Thanks to friends and family..who takes candid photos. Then post on FB. Then tag the photos.....I hate FB.

As for my devices. All camera lenses are covered up with tape. But I like what other posters suggested. Cover up your face with a scarf, or paint lines on your face. A friend of mine is an FX Artist. We molded my head. I'll just make foam appliances and wear them around town..

EDIT: I have not used FB since first week of Dec 2013. And maybe 5 times in 3 years before that. Rare usage. It's not my thing. I don't care if your hubby made dinner. Or here's a pic of what someone is about to eat.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

EDIT: in fact last time I used it was to remove a thanks giving pic of me holding my AR-15 and a frozen Butterball turkey. The day of sandy hook. I removed it because at first thought it was funny. other folks had pics of them with real wild turkeys and shot guns. So I was teasing my friends and myself. Then SH was happening. I removed it almost immediately. Do to bad taste I thought to myself. And have not been on FB since.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Funny how paranoia grows.

The planet has never been safer statistically yet folks and governments appear to be more paranoid and fearful than ever before.

Get a grip folks.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:01 AM
link   
I see no way how this can go bad whatsoever.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by pstrron

New App Will Scan Your Date’s Face Quickly to See If They’re a Sex Offender

Good and about time! They need to do that and more!

top topics

join