It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From the Pentagon to life in a van

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Did he pick up a crack habit?

8k a month and living in a van? What is it one of those 100k+ Mercedes vans?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

he probably was very spendi, be able to end up like that, after all that. And most possibly, he was a bad boy and bad boys get punished.

Its a bad advert to show up the unemployment. Because this guy made his life, he had his opportunities... He is not a young boy or man.
edit on 9-1-2014 by Ploutonas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Not to sound mean, but it appears the colonel only wants a govt contractor job. Easy six figures...

If he retired active duty at 30 years, he would be getting 75% of his last 3 years base pay average Calculator link. My guesstimate it is slightly less than 6K. He's been married and divorced. Any number of spouses can only take 50% of his retirement pay combined. Now let's say he is left with 3K.

If he got the survivor benefits insurance (most opt for it since it takes a spouse's signature to deny it), thats another 500 from his retired pay. He's now left with 2500.

Almost forgot about alimony. If he got divorced while on active duty, most judges will use his entire LES pay info to calculate his dues. That active duty LES includes officer rate BAS, BAH, hazard pay (if he was deployed around that time)...which could put any alimony past 1K easy... So he's left with 1500. There should have been provisions in the divorce for alimony to stop once she receives his retirement pay.

His kids are in school, bet he's paying child support for them too. There goes that 1500..

To sound mean. He should have been able to see this train wreck years before his retirement. An officer in intelligence has more smarts than that. To depend on govt contractor jobs is foolish. Many people retire every month, not everyone will hold that contracting job forever. Also, he should have paid more attention in TAPS.

Maybe he needs to apply at Home Depot like every other retiree and be happy with 14 bucks an hour.

edit on 9-1-2014 by ChuckNasty because: wording

edit on 9-1-2014 by ChuckNasty because: added link

edit on 9-1-2014 by ChuckNasty because: hate tablets

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Just used h2h.jobs to do a search. Not knowing what his MOS is, I just inputted intelligence.

Popped up over 3K hits. I'm sure majority of them have been filled, but come on.

Maybe his credit is FUBARd so he can't get that top secret clearance..

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

interupt42

AprilFooseball

I find it hard to believe that a retired colonel, receiving retirement pay can only afford to live out of his van. Some thing sounds fishy here.

The article says that he makes $40,000 per year from his pension...
edit on 8-1-2014 by AprilFooseball because: (no reason given)

FYI

He receives an annual pension from the military of more than $40,000.

Unable to return to the home he shared with his estranged wife, and faced with expenses including bills for two sons in college and debts that mounted when he maintained a nicer lifestyle, he took up a nomadic existence.

Regardless, our societies priority are all messed up. We allowed our leaders to bailout the highest earning investors and spend trillions in helping foreign countries while allowing our vets to be homeless? 1 homeless vet is to many in my book if we got enough to sprinkle around the world.

edit on 19131America/ChicagoWed, 08 Jan 2014 23:19:33 -0600up3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

Quoting for your statement:

"Regardless, our societies priority are all messed up. We allowed our leaders to bailout the highest earning investors and spend trillions in helping foreign countries while allowing our vets to be homeless? "

I'll raise you one more, there's no reason that we should have anyone in America who is in need of help with the amount of $ we toss about helping criminals (bankers) and thugs (our crap foreign policy).

Derek

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:07 PM
link   
It seems to me that age discrimination runs rampant in some fields. So if you're a vet trying to get a change of pace by getting in a degree for something different than what you were doing in the military, odds may be you probably just wasted that time. Getting an entry level job is difficult enough in some fields, but when nearing or past 30 it's practically impossible. Even with a good GPA to back a degree. It seems many companies don't want somebody almost possibly as old as their managers in the entry-level position. So despite having a degree and a good work ethic, the only jobs one can get are ones that are for unskilled positions that don't pay crap and usually don't have benefits.

So vets aren't just dealing with what may be some people's perceptions of vets, but age discrimination is a real problem when seeking employment in jobs that require a degree and it's nearly impossible to prove. Not everyone is cut out for the full military career path, but when going for other jobs it seems people don't realize what the hell you've been doing during that time and seem to (unfairly) peg it against you.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:47 PM
link   

ChuckNasty
Maybe his credit is FUBARd so he can't get that top secret clearance..

Hell, my credit has been screwed up since the eighties (And have pretty much been cash only ever since. I HATE credit!) and I had a TS/SCI clearance. They're just using that nowadays as an excuse.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:50 PM
link   

AprilFooseball

I find it hard to believe that a retired colonel, receiving retirement pay can only afford to live out of his van. Some thing sounds fishy here.

The article says that he makes $40,000 per year from his pension...
edit on 8-1-2014 by AprilFooseball because: (no reason given)

I have to agree with you. I'm retired enlisted (E-6) and receive almost 3K ( with combined VA disability). If I didn't have a family, I could make it on that alone. Maybe not in DC but I have a home with a mortgage below my retired pay. My wife and I resisted the temptation years ago to borrow against our equity (like SO many others did - thank you "Rich a Dad, Poor Dad) so we're not upside down.
He's has to be pulling near 4K a month if not over, depending on when he retired. I suspect their are other issues with him that he probably needs VA counseling with.
That said, I wish him the best. By the way, living in van with 4K a month sounds like fun to me! That's FREEDOM!

edit on 9-1-2014 by wrkn4livn because: Addition

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

Well the good Col. is living in the DC area..."The Land of Scams". So yep, I would say he has some issues if he is being honest.

I live ok on a retired E-7 pension, though things are tight at times. If he can't do it on a O-6 pension...he's a soup sandwich.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I don't know where the article got "$40k a year" because that is complete crap. This information is widely available since he's military. A 30 year Colonel would make $7,800 in 2012 a MONTH ... with a yearly cost of living increase. That's $93,600.

Now, he probably cheated on his wife, thus getting thrown out, probably spent all his money on stupid junk, is paying 2 college tuition and likely a mortgage and alimony.

But he's certainly NOT a poor veteran living on the streets who can't get a job as a janitor .. this news story is an insult to real homeless veterans.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AprilFooseball

I agree! There is something else going on here. A retired O-6 brings home around 3K a month. So why is this guy "homeless" unless it is voluntarily??????????

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

I agree. There is definitely more to the story. It was what I tried to highlight in regards to when the news starts trotting out veterans about how they can't find a job and they don't know what to do.

I found more opportunity after I left Active Duty than I ever did after college. Any school (basically) I wanted to attend. Job preference in State and Federal governments, private companies clamoring for me -- and this was in January of 2009 (the most misfortune discharge date possible given the dive in the economy.)

To focus on this retired officer, and to claim he has nothing, I think there is some deep underlying issues at hand.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

interupt42
IMO i would have preferred to given this guy help with my taxed dollar since he put his life on the line rather than the guys who have the advantage of creating the law$ (Lobbyist) and are able to manipulate the market and the consumers.

You think veterans and the military/intelligence-contractor complex don't have lobbyists?

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:37 PM
link   

FurvusRexCaeli

interupt42
IMO i would have preferred to given this guy help with my taxed dollar since he put his life on the line rather than the guys who have the advantage of creating the law$ (Lobbyist) and are able to manipulate the market and the consumers.

You think veterans and the military/intelligence-contractor complex don't have lobbyists?

No , I think the men and women that serve the military don't have the lobbying power as the military/intelligence-contractor complex (Lockheed,Martin, Boeing, Raytheon,etc ) and the Bankers.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

I agree. There is definitely more to the story.
To focus on this retired officer, and to claim he has nothing, I think there is some deep underlying issues at hand.

It does look that way , doesn't it.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   

interupt42

ownbestenemy

Even with all my personal problems, and not retiring, I was still 110% better off than when I was before I joined the military. That is what is surprising. It is only those who have burned bridges so badly that cannot find any work. Given his rank, my guess is he has been blackballed from any contract work.

A little known tidbit; an employer cannot ask you your discharge status in an interview. Me thinks his name is known in D.C. and it isn't good.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 09:01 PM
link   

ownbestenemy

interupt42

ownbestenemy

Even with all my personal problems, and not retiring, I was still 110% better off than when I was before I joined the military. That is what is surprising. It is only those who have burned bridges so badly that cannot find any work.

Glad to hear the positive news and thank you for your service ,honesty and your ability to keep a unbiased open outlook on issues to get to the truth.

edit on 19131America/ChicagoThu, 09 Jan 2014 21:19:38 -0600000000p3142 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Obviously PPL here havent really read this !

ok a Break Down !!

After a 30-year military career in which he earned three graduate degrees, rose to the rank of colonel, and served as an aide to Pentagon brass, Robert Freniere can guess what people might say when they learn he's unemployed and lives out of his van:

A Man was a Colonel ok Check... 30 years of service !! need only 20 years to retire

He is Retired income of 40,000 ? He has Income... yes he has medical problems too I know..

His struggle to find a job after retiring from the Air Force collided with the end of his marriage nearly two years ago. Unable to return to the home he shared with his estranged wife, and faced with expenses including bills for two sons in college and debts that mounted when he maintained a nicer lifestyle, he took up a nomadic existence.

Struggle ? and getting $40,000 What???
His Wife gave him the Shaft!! Alimony? who divorced who! ? and Whats the Fricken Reason.. it doesn't tell that does it.. the Reason Why face with expenses? what ? what was his Luxuries !?? The Bills ?? why??? Sons for Collage !! what Collage!!

and Yup and Bills Debts Mounted when he Maintain a Nicer Lifestyle!!!!! you mean a Luxury Lifestyle and what about his old wifeys!! income ! ?

Colonel Pay Starting pay $5,870/mo - max $10,391/mo after 30 years

www.military-ranks.org...

Annual Pay: $124,207
www.airforce.com...

????? According to this
O-6 Retiring at 30 Years of Service
militarypay.defense.gov...

So am i missing Something here ??

He joined the Army in 1976 to a Airforce intelligence officer...

but was he an officer in the Army too? but there no time date he entered the Airforce as a Officer in this article

This Man Retired From Being A Pentagon Aide At The Rank Of Colonel. Now He’s Homeless.
thinkprogress.org...

HOMELESS!! and Makes 40,000 a year !?

if it was I
I would Say sorry SONS I can pay for your Collages Blame your Mother!! ask her for Help ! I cant do it on my Own!

Now what Collage does his Son go too !! Yale ! ? WOW

Still wondering ... a pay-grade 6 Officer making only 40 grand a year ? and Still calling that homeless !

I call that a Choosing to be ...

all in all i do have to give him credit for put his sons i collage ! and doing this ! kid of living

hopefully his Sons Realize what their father is going through! paying for their collage and back bills..

I would say sons get a part time Job !! and help me out for the tuition ! and get some grants!

and the BIG IF! he messed around on his wife !!! and got the Shaft !! Karma Sucks!

all i got to say he must of had kids late in age

edit on 9-1-2014 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Nothing new, here. War is old men sending young men to fight their quarrels for them. Once the battles are done, they're discarded.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Rockpuck
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I don't know where the article got "$40k a year" because that is complete crap. This information is widely available since he's military. A 30 year Colonel would make $7,800 in 2012 a MONTH ... with a yearly cost of living increase. That's $93,600.

Now, he probably cheated on his wife, thus getting thrown out, probably spent all his money on stupid junk, is paying 2 college tuition and likely a mortgage and alimony.

But he's certainly NOT a poor veteran living on the streets who can't get a job as a janitor .. this news story is an insult to real homeless veterans.

you've expressed my own opinion quite well...there are too many front line grunts doing a lot worse than he is. pity for this retired colonel is misplaced and should be insulting to all "E's" that served many tours.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join