It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy Screws Up - Sends Reporter Details On Avoiding His FOIA Request

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+11 more 
posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Navy Screws Up - Sends Reporter Details On Avoiding His FOIA Request

Following a Washington reporter's request to the Navy to turn over documents related to the Navy Yard Shooting, a US Navy official mistakenly forwarded an internal email outlining instructions on exactly how to avoid his Freedom of Information request. As RT reports, hours after NBC's Scott Macfarlane's tweets on the matter went viral, the Navy "regretted the incident" and re-iterated its "commitment to transparency."

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Cybermerc

Had to happen sometime Lol

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:26 PM
link   

And the lies just keep on flowing. Does anyone believe anything a government entity tells us any more? Commitment to transparency? Really? You have shown that you would rather just avoid the Freedom of information request then produce the documents.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I smell a discharge coming for whoever sent out that email.

Still committed to transparency they said....

Obama's speechwriters are busy lately.

I guess we can all be shocked that yet another government agency is talking out of both sides of it's mouth.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Just hours after MacFarlane’s tweets went viral, the Navy’s Twitter feed published a series of messages addressing the military’s respect for the FOIA process.

I'd laugh at this if it just wasn't so frustratingly annoying.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Kangaruex4Ewe

They'll just blame it on some enlisted guy and move on.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
.....and in other, totally unrelated news? The Navy has announced last minute personnel transfers from the Navy Yard to McMurdo Science Station, Ross Sea, Antarctica. Sources say it was actually routine, despite the sudden announcements.

....I'd really really hate to be in the Navy and even remotely associated with the P.R. or media people at that place. I'll bet firestorm doesn't even cover this level of Oops from the inside.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Isn't that at least warmer than parts of the US? Maybe not San Diego though.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Cybermerc

Following a Washington reporter's request to the Navy to turn over documents related to the Navy Yard Shooting, a US Navy official mistakenly forwarded an internal email outlining instructions on exactly how to avoid his Freedom of Information request. As RT reports, hours after NBC's Scott Macfarlane's tweets on the matter went viral, the Navy "regretted the incident" and re-iterated its "commitment to transparency."

So does this qualify as an official conspiracy then..?? I suppose it isnt illegal

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Blowback

Cybermerc

So does this qualify as an official conspiracy then..?? I suppose it isnt illegal

Since the Navy was avoiding fulfilling a legitimate FOIA request I believe it is illegal.

And the conspiracy is that they say they are transparent, when in the background they try to avoid it. Though not much of a shocking conspiracy though. lol

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Cybermerc
and re-iterated its "commitment to transparency."

they keep using that word but I don't think they know what it means.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 02:54 AM
link   
This is a good gauge of how far down the track to #sville the country is. 30 years ago this would have been a major issue sparking an investigation and reforms.... now its "yeah we know ha ha"

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:22 AM
link   
HA! What an epic eff up. It's like the person you put on speakerphone & they don't realize it & say something massively Darwin about the person next to you, "...wait. I'm on speaker, aren't I? And they're right there, aren't they?"
Except this is even more facepalmy. It's one of our supposed transparent government agencies, and it's gone viral.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

Great find. The usual accolades don't quite get it

For some twisted little reason I'd love to see the memo
from the Navy; just to get an idea of where to redirect the artillery.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Just another example of why America is going down the crapper. Can't believe anything that is told to the public on any topic by a government entity. If the government lies on FOIA requests we will never be told the truth about anything. How much information has been requested via FOIA requests only to be "squashed" by some government official somewhere? How would anyone know if the government provides all the documents regarding a request?

Lies, all lies and it is so common to lie that it is not even surprising or shocking anymore when the government lies to the American people. I see people on other threads hoping for full disclosure on many topics from the government but it is obvious to me that full disclosure will NEVER happen. How can anyone believe anything the government says? The United States government is so big that it actually has no idea how to serve the people anymore. The people in power are liars and cheats. It will never change. Pathetic.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
The example of how to act comes from the top.

Chris Christie has fired more people today than have been fired in five years in DC.

If nobody ever get fired...This is what we can expect.

This is CYA government.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

sandman441

they keep using that word but I don't think they know what it means.

Oh they know what it means, it means you cant see it!
edit on 9-1-2014 by VoidHawk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Cybermerc

And the lies just keep on flowing. Does anyone believe anything a government entity tells us any more?

Yep.

"Pay your taxes"

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
about as transparent as lead

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   
The old policy that was opaque, at least you knew something was there and covered-up as it was obvious stuff is being blacked out. But the new policy of transparancy means they'll have it right there, but you just wont see it. (Because it's transparent, get it?) Never trust a bureaucracy to be readily forthcoming with information or to interpret changes in policy in a way that are convenient or favorable to those outside the system.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join