It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100,000 bats fall dead from the sky during a heatwave in Australia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
While we here in America are coming up with new terms for the cold snap we just had, 'Polar Vortex', Australia has been dealing with heat

Australia's heatwave has been blamed for causing 100,000 bats to drop from the sky, with the smell of rotting carcasses filling towns

About 100,000 bats have fallen from the sky and died during a heatwave in Australia that has left the trees and earth littered with dead creatures.

In scenes likened to "an Alfred Hitchock thought bubble", a heatwave across the north-east state of Queensland in recent days caused mass deaths of flying foxes from an estimated 25 colonies.

"It's a horrible, cruel way to die," a conservation worker, Louise Saunders, told The Courier Mail.

"Anything over 43 degrees [Celsius, 109F] and they just fall. We're just picking up those that are just not coping and are humanely euthanising what we can."

www.telegraph.co.uk... in-Australia

At least 16 people have been receiving antiviral treatment after coming into close contact with a bat.

So for any ATSer's that live there, has this happened before during a heat wave or is this just a fluke??

edit on 8-1-2014 by snarky412 because: add video

edit on 8-1-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
S&F

Doesn't the bible say something about bats falling from the sky?

Or, was that locusts?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by snarky412

I guess they were too blind to go the right way...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

And hundreds of pigeons were found dead near Ottawa last week because of the freezewave.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

well i have never heard of bats dying like before but that doesn't mean it has not happened.......what i can tell you is i felt like keeling over and dying during that heatwave last week.......and its a humid heat as well making it close to unbearable

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hopenotfeariswhatweneed

well i have never heard of bats dying like before but that doesn't mean it has not happened.......what i can tell you is i felt like keeling over and dying during that heatwave last week.......and its a humid heat as well making it close to unbearable

I feel for ya

In the southern states along the Gulf of Mexico [U.S.], in the summer time, the humidity sometimes feels like 200%
Freakin hot!!
To the point where you feel like you're going to smother....ugh
We work outdoors and I will say I'd rather the sticky heat any day over the cold. Brrrr....paid my dues and then some

Was trying to search and see if Australia had this happen before with bats but no luck yet

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
send this to the shouter and all the other numb skulls.

They keep blabbering about "der, dee, dor, its snowing outside..hahaha. thar ain't no none global warming, its cold"

"der, dee, dor,, look a ship got stuck in the ice.. cant be no none global warming".

all the while forgetting there are OTHER places on the globe

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I blame the dead bats on global cooling.

Like Rush Limbaugh says…

It's just stunning how everything their entire agenda is based on one lie after another. "Global Warming is Freezing You," and the article claims that man-made global warming is slowing down the jet stream, and that's why the cold air is coming down. Global warming is slowing down the jet stream! They don't explain how. They just say, "It must be," because, see, they've bought it. They have bought -- hook, line, and sinker -- man-made global warming. They believe it. I've told you; I read the tech blogs. Stunning, folks. They believe it.

www.rushlimbaugh.com...
edit on 8-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I blame the dead bats on global cooling.

Like Rush Limbaugh says…

Waiting for some one to blame HAARP!!

------

Off Topic:

Damn, the smilies keep changing colors on me
I miss the other ones, now that I finally got used to them
These aren't so hot...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:17 PM
link   
This happened just near where I live. It was REALLY hot last weekend. Like 110+ hot for you guys over in the US. Lots of bats live along the Brisbane river. I've not heard 'the smell of rotting carcasses filling towns' - I think that's a bit of a media exaggeration. We did have several facebook callouts to help, but with a kid and a baby on board, I'm not risking lyssavirus!

Australian Bat Lyssavirus wiki

I'll also add from the article, that yes, we are the north east state, but it was in the south east corner where this happened.
edit on 8/1/2014 by bkaust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I live in this area under their flight corridor. The only dead bats I have seen are the ones that die on the electricity lines.
Just my 2 cents I m a local and have not seen this. Not saying its not happening just have not seen any.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Im in Australia and never heard of anything like that before! How sad though
Its been pretty hot!! and here in W.A temperatures are going to rise in the next couple of days reaching 43c sunday some parts have already reached 47! crazy this extreme weather on both top & bottom of our planet ... I think id rather the cold haha

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Shana91aus
Im in Australia and never heard of anything like that before! How sad though
Its been pretty hot!! and here in W.A temperatures are going to rise in the next couple of days reaching 43c sunday some parts have already reached 47! crazy this extreme weather on both top & bottom of our planet ... I think id rather the cold haha

Poor creatures. I had no idea the heat would affect them like that.

Totally agree. I am in Texas and we get HIGH heat and humidity through much of our summer. It's awful! There's no relief. I'd much rather the cold! Actually kinda enjoyed the 2 day blast of Arctic winds we had. I'm sure I'd be singing a different tune if it was like that all the time but man- the heat here is just unbearable in summer-ugh!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

You must not read the paper or go on social media often? 'not to say it's not happening' ??

It was known in advance to expect these, in the arvo on the saturday these were coming across facebook through the animal care websites

A tree full of dead bats

Dead bat gallery
Mass bat deaths in record heatwave.

Volunteers have been overwhelmed collecting the dead bodies and have brought in over 200 baby flying foxes for care.

Queensland health Bat death warning

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

That's sooo sad - I love bats - they eat mosquitoes -

I'm in the US - minus 11F at the moment -

Wasn't there a dream/prediction on ATS from an austrailian that said when a bunch of bats die - falling on the roofs, I believe - that there would be a huge outbreak of a disease? I seem to remember that prediction.

Hope you all stay safe - and cool.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:03 AM
link   
HAARP!!

No only kidding, it has been record high temperatures in parts of the SE of the state of Queensland so I am not surprised the bats are dropping. About 10 years ago we had a record high day in Mildura 47C in the NE of the state of Victoria and it was reported that kangaroos were crawling under bushes and dying. Too hot is simply too hot.

The stupid thing is that people still went to work in the orchards and vineyards that day... the power of money hey.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:52 AM
link   

It's not just bats that are affected, plenty of farmers are losing livestock due to high temperatures and lack of rain, and lost livestock can lead to a lost livelihood, they have to spend money they can't afford to spend to buy grain, because nothing can grow in their conditions.

It's a tough gig being a farmer down under, they need a lot of help and luck at the moment.

edit on 9-1-2014 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 03:54 AM
link   

We always have heatwaves, its expected to be 43oC here in Perth on Saturday.

I've never heard of bats falling the sky before.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:01 AM
link   
reply to post by bkaust

Wish 110 was an abnormal occurrence here. We hit that fairly often in summer.

As for the bats, I would need to see more evidence that 100k died. With that number of deaths it should be very easy to locate information on this but there is essentially one article being repeated over and over.

I found one reference stating Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals confirmed this but when you go to the either of their websites (the UK or AUS one) there is nothing there.

As for video I have seen one that shows a like 1-200, which is very sad, but nowhere near 100,000.
edit on 1/9/2014 by Azdraik because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 04:05 AM
link   
Hmm, thats sad and worrying.

But, you no the drill...

new topics

top topics

join