It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO interest peaked in the 1990s and is now in decline

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:14 AM
link   

EnPassant
reply to post by SecTownKid

One way to resolve this is to find out what is happening with abductions. Therein you will find the answer to the whole phenomena. The secrecy is encouraged by the aliens themselves. It is they who control the level of belief among people. If belief is waning they can jack it up if they want to. They are playing a grand mind game with everyone.

Let me ask you a question do you really think aliens would travel light years at great expense to grab someone seems to usually be drunk red necks to do medical tests. Now if my species was advanced enough to travel all that way why do the work i would just tap into the internet being as im smarter then you earthlings and have access to every piece of medical data ever written. Then theres the scare factor If an alien species came to earth and they abduct us and use us in lab experiments what do you think they think of us. and if they have that low of an opinion of us whats to say they wouldnt just throw us in cages and simply run there tests like we do to rats. All ill say is if it were aliens be afraid be very afraid because the only things they could be doing is preparing for extermination.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Scdfa
reply to post by lampsalot

Relax, folks, "UFO" interest is doing just fine. It isn't dead, dying, mortally wounded, critically ill, achy, feverish, or congested.

To say that it "peaked" in the 1990's is absurd on the face of it. Youtube didn't even start until 2005, and its impact has been astonishing.

You know youtube may be one of the reasons for the decline. People watch all the fake videos done with cgi and go wow they made this crap up. Go do aa search on youtube everyone is either a crappy view of a ball of light or cgi.And then theres the same video claimed to be taken in like 12 different places by 12 different people. See prior to that people couldnt see it so they had to go off someones word and someone telling you something can hold more weight then a video if you know the person. But now they show you there video and you ask them where they drinking?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

Let me ask you a question do you really think aliens would travel light years at great expense to grab someone seems to usually be drunk red necks to do medical tests.

Whoa, now... a lot of assumptions there...

Light years? Says who? What about an inter-dimensional hypothesis? Or a sub-terrainian origin? Or a moon or planet in our solar system?

Great expense? Really? How much does it cost?

Now, I'm curious as to why you state that alien abductees/contactees are usually drunk? Has that been reported in many investigated abduction reports?

Or "rednecks"? What states do you think have the most UFO activity, or the most reported abductions? Betty and Barney Hill were in New Hampshire. Whitley Streiber was in New York. Travis Walton was in Arizona.

Medical tests? The reports tell of surgical implantation and removal of tracking devices, and surgical removal of reproductive cells, sometimes even a developing fetus, for the purpose of a multi-generational alien/ human hybridization program. I think dismissing that as "medical tests" is being glib.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Scdfa

Let me ask you a question do you really think aliens would travel light years at great expense to grab someone seems to usually be drunk red necks to do medical tests.

Light years? Says who? What about an inter-dimensional hypothesis? Or a sub-terrainian origin? Or a moon or planet in our solar system?

Now, I'm curious as to why you state that alien abductees/contactees are usually drunk? Has that been reported in many investigated abduction reports?

Or "rednecks"? What states do you think have the most UFO activity, or the most reported abductions? Betty and Barney Hill were in New Hampshire. Whitley Streiber was in New York. Travis Walton was in Arizona.

Medical tests? The reports tell of surgical implantation and removal of tracking devices, and surgical removal of reproductive cells, sometimes even a developing fetus, for the purpose of a multi-generational alien/ human hybridization program. I think dismissing that as "medical tests" is being glib.

There has never been any evidence of abductions other than that which is shown from some UFO researcher who claims to have pulled a piece of metal out of someone claiming its a device. When tested usually shown to be chunk of metal though i watched one show turned out it was graphite yeah you guessed it lead pencil tip.Whitley Strieber is a liar preying on peoples beliefs to make money and trust me he has. And apparently you got sucked in to Betty and Barney Hills lies. Did you know Betty Hill was a paranormal and cult enthusiast herself: When you spend most of your free time reading books on UFO abductions, there's a rather good chance you'll end up thinking you were abducted yourself. Her husband, on the other hand, didn't think anything unusual had happened, and only after six months did he admit he'd been taken aboard a spaceship.In other words the wife made it a living hell for him until he agreed so she could brag at her meeting with other UFO groups.Or where you also aware her story changed 3 times? Or how about this since you believe in abductions didnt strike you as odd that she's telling her story the next day when most abductees have amnesia and usually dont remember until years later? There's actually an explanation for this in case you were wondering. In total seriousness look into it you always have to look at the source when dealing with extraordinary stories.
edit on 1/14/14 by dragonridr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Thanks for clearing that up from me. Forgive me if I'm hesitant to subscribe to the views of the semi-literate. I don't mean that as an insult, English may be your second language, and it is a difficult language to learn. It is very difficult to refute your post because it contains so many errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and even basic sentence structure. These factors do not point to a keen intellect, in my experience. Don't you read through your writings before posting? That may help you to communicate more effectively, if not more convincingly.

You haven't yet answered my earlier questions regarding what evidence you have that most abductees are drunk, or that they are usually rednecks.

From what I know, I'm of the opinion that neither the Hills nor Whitley Streiber are lying, but a good deal of what you have written appears to be untrue. That which I can decipher, anyway.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Scdfa

Light years? Says who?

The nearest star Proxima Centaru is 4.3 light years away. 1 light year is equal to 5,878,499,810,000. That's 5.8 TRILLION miles.

Now times that by 4.3.

What about an inter-dimensional hypothesis?

We have evidence for planets around other stars.

We have no evidence for planets in other dimensions. Or that other dimensions even exist and are traversable. In most multidimensional theories in physics the amount of energy to open up some sort of macroscopic 'gateway' is more than all the energy in the observable universe.

It makes that trip to Proxima Centauri look like childsplay in comparison.

That's hard science. That's math. That's physics.

That's not fantasy.

Or a sub-terrainian origin?

Hollow Earth Hypothesis eh? That was well refuted like 70 years ago.

Or a moon or planet in our solar system?

We've visted them all. No aliens. Not even a microbe has been found yet.

Could aliens be hiding out somewhere else? Like the Kuiper Belt or something? Sure anything is possible. But in science we deal with the probable and if you are an advanced species why would you hide from us? You'd have superior technology.

In terms of cost we measure it by energy. To send a ship to 90 percent of the speed of light you'd have to generate what the entire Earth's power plants put out in a year. That's for starters. You want to talk about exotic things like warping space time and other unproven theories? Now you're talking about many times that amount of energy.

edit on 14-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:39 AM
link   
i think it's this simple:
Nothing of substance has been shown in all these years, that's why it's in decline.
Not because it's a fashion that comes and goes, and not necessarily because of the x files (that show covered not just aliens but pretty much anything)
truth is people are bored.
Bored about blurry images of a something in the sky that can be anything.
Bored about the countless eyewitnesses that can't bring anything to the table aside from an amusing story.
All these years of research, documentaries, etc have brought ZERO results.
Far from me to say we are alone in the universe, frankly i would be shocked to my core it that turned out to be true.
But nothing happened in Roswell, people are not being abducted, it's not aliens making those crop circles, just like it's not them killing cows.
And if you think i am wrong, don't just call me close minded, or a sheep. If you think i am wrong, give me something real.
truth is, sadly, nobody can.
Just like more and more people are moving away from religion, people are moving away from the little grey men.
and it will stay that way until ANYTHING remotely useful turns up.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
reply to post by IShotMyLastMuse

Gosh, then I guess there's no point in you sticking around to talk about aliens that don't exist. We'll certainly miss your input. Best of luck in future endeavors.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Scdfa
reply to post by IShotMyLastMuse

Gosh, then I guess there's no point in you sticking around to talk about aliens that don't exist. We'll certainly miss your input. Best of luck in future endeavors.

Few on this site would be as excited as me if there were real, unassailable evidence for intelligent aliens interacting with humanity. (I am studying Astronomy and Astrobiology in college. Studying alien worlds, i hope will be my future job.) We're not there yet. And the way to get there is not falling for every hoax and 2 bit story. It's doing real science to weed through that mess to the few cases per year which -might- represent that evidence, but could just as well be something else entirely.

Without serious investigation by serious researchers with real credentials any real evidence for UFOs as having a more exotic point of origin than Earth is buried in the cesspool that UFOlogy in 2014 has become and is unlikely to be brought to the surface.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 05:48 AM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

Please don't fabricate my statements. I never mentioned the Earth being hollow. A subterranean explanation has been discussed quite seriously in recent years by people like the late Mack Tonnes. I personally have a different opinion as to origin. I'm less likely to dispute the existence of underground and undersea alien bases, however.

rip to Proxima Centauri look like childsplay in comparison.

Yes, and I'm certain no intelligent beings anywhere in the universe ever managed to advance beyond very early 21st century Earth. After all, our Science has learned everything, right?

Looking back little more than a single lifetime, the only way off the ground was a hot air balloon. Now, Voyager may have just left the Heliosphere. To believe the current limitations to our understanding are the very limits of scientific understanding? Unfounded. Pure hubris. What an unlikely, tenuous belief.

We've visted them all (planets and moons in the solar system). No aliens.

We did? When? I was only aware of our traveling to our own moon.

We have sent rovers to Mars, does that count as visiting? We certainly haven't landed even unmanned probes on every moon. Nor have we looked below the surface of ANY moon, including our own, or any other planet.

But in science we deal with the probable and if you are an advanced species why would you hide from us?

I'm not so sure hovering over the busiest airport in America in broad daylight qualifies as "hiding". Or hovering over the U.S. Capitol building for a weekend. Or flying slowly over several states in a mile-wide craft. Or being witnessed by 20,000 people in the Hudson Valley. Not at all effective displays of "hiding".
edit on 14-1-2014 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 05:57 AM
link   

So then you are going to stick around to discuss aliens that don't exist? May I ask whatever for?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Scdfa

Please don't fabricate my statements. I never mentioned the Earth being hollow. A subterranean explanation has been discussed quite seriously in recent years by people like the late Mack Tonnes. I personally have a different opinion as to origin. I'm less likely to dispute the existence of underground and undersea alien bases, however.

rip to Proxima Centauri look like childsplay in comparison.

Yes, and I'm certain no intelligent beings anywhere in the universe ever managed to advance beyond very early 21st century Earth. After all, our Science has learned everything, right?

No. But that's not the point.

The intelligent takeaway is that travelling between the vast distances stars is not a likely a trivial event. It isn't likely to be a trivial event a million years from either.

If it WERE a trivial event we'd be surrounded by aliens and there would be proof everywhere. SEE Fermi Paradox.

So logic dictates that because it isn't a trivial event that civilizations who DO make that trip do something more than flash pretty lights and abduct people in the middle of the night to give them anal probes.

Looking back little more than a single lifetime, the only way off the ground was a hot air balloon.

So, do you take a balloon to work every morning? How about a helicopter or airplane?

Why not?

Oh that's right, because it's not such a trivial thing to fly, even today, over a century after the invention of heavier than air flight.

Now, Voyager may have just left the Heliosphere.

Not may. Did.

To believe the current limitations to our understanding are the very limits of scientific understanding? Unfounded. Pure hubris. What an unlikely, tenuous belief.

I never said our limitations would be theirs. I said we see no credible evidence that they exist and have surpassed it. Nor do we have evidence that the laws of physics can be supplanted in such a way to make it possible to fly across these distances in a trivial fashion.

And until you have evidence that interstellar travel is so trivial that aliens would behave like a bunch of bad kids playing abusing animals you'll need some EXTRAORDINARY EVIDENCE for your EXTRAORDINARY idea that anything unexplained in the sky is this:

We've visted them all (planets and moons in the solar system). No aliens.

We did? When? I was only aware of our traveling to our own moon.

You are unaware of anything beyond human spaceflight apparently.

We have sent rovers to Mars, does that count as visiting?

It does. They are our eyes on the planet.

We certainly haven't landed even unmanned probes on every moon.

Nope, because most moons can be imaged effectively from orbit. Of the ones with atmospheres obscuring them we DID land one. Can you name it?

Additionally there are proposals to probe under the ice of Europa but those will be very expensive missions full of technical challenges.

Suffice to say we don't see any recent entrances or exits from the icey moons of the solar system so your advanced aliens are unlikely to be hiding out inside one.

But in science we deal with the probable and if you are an advanced species why would you hide from us?

I'm not so sure hovering over the busiest airport in America in broad daylight qualifies as "hiding". Or hovering over the U.S. Capitol building for a weekend. Or flying slowly over several states in a mile-wide craft. Or being witnessed by 20,000 people in the Hudson Valley. Not at all effective displays of "hiding".
edit on 14-1-2014 by Scdfa because: (no reason given)

What makes you think none of that can't be explained by other more prosaic things than aliens? And where are the high quality videos of all of that?

Surely hovering over a busy airport with plenty of tourists with cameras would produce plenty of pictures. Right?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well I think that any advanced craft that wanted to avoid detection or recording by electronic equipment should very easily be able to do so. Their sensors could easily pick up on such activity. They could pick up on our brain signals, they can pick up on the electronic equipment signature and actively or passively jam such equipment. Sensors on the ship could detect photons being emitted and scatter the reflected image actively or passively.

There is also some anecdotal evidence of electronic equipment malfunctioning during some rare UFO events.

It's even very possible that advanced craft could interfere either with our thinking and memory processes (www.abovetopsecret.com...) or even with time itself. If UFOs can manipulate space they must also manipulate time, because space and time are part of a broader entity called space-time. In fact if they are physical of entities and travel without any perceivable inertia (instant acceleration, right angle turns with no change in speed) they do seem to have some control over space.

Either of these or both together could be responsible for 'missing time' accounts. If you accidentally entered a field where the field is moving at speeds close to the speed of light, and then you emerge from that field, you will be missing time from your local reference point. Rip van winkle and Tir na Nog for people who hang around too long.

Apart from all this speculation the average cell phone is just not going to take a decent picture of a small object in the sky.

edit on 14-1-2014 by ManInAsia because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2014 by ManInAsia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   

Scdfa

Thanks for clearing that up from me. Forgive me if I'm hesitant to subscribe to the views of the semi-literate. I don't mean that as an insult, English may be your second language, and it is a difficult language to learn. It is very difficult to refute your post because it contains so many errors in spelling, grammar, punctuation, and even basic sentence structure. These factors do not point to a keen intellect, in my experience. Don't you read through your writings before posting? That may help you to communicate more effectively, if not more convincingly.

You haven't yet answered my earlier questions regarding what evidence you have that most abductees are drunk, or that they are usually rednecks.

From what I know, I'm of the opinion that neither the Hills nor Whitley Streiber are lying, but a good deal of what you have written appears to be untrue. That which I can decipher, anyway.

Dont like the message so attack the messenger sorry guy to burst your bubble. As far as keen intellect your the one who believed in the hoax not me as i said do some research.Anyone stupid enough to believe something without looking in to the facts shows a severe lack of intellect as you put it.Oh and further your point i can actually speak four languages how many can you speak? There are we done insulting others do you feel better now? See its people like you when they cant argue the facts and choose to resort to personal attacks that give other UFO enthusiasts bad names.

One more thing by all means post a thread about abductions show your evidence but note this no one does because when they look into it there is zero evidence and lots of unstable people involved.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Dont like the message so attack the messenger sorry guy to burst your bubble. As far as keen intellect your the one who believed in the hoax not me as i said do some research.Anyone stupid enough to believe something without looking in to the facts shows a severe lack of intellect as you put it.Oh and further your point i can actually speak four languages how many can you speak? There are we done insulting others do you feel better now?

You speak four languages? That is impressive. There is no shame in English not being your native tongue, if that is the case.

This post has far fewer misspellings and the sentence structure is greatly improved, thank you for taking the extra time to make sure your points are clear. Although, punctuation is clearly not your friend. Commas are just not in your wheelhouse, apparently. Just in the single paragraph I quote above, you are missing two periods, a question mark, and NINE commas. Depending on your emphasis. Had you submitted this to my fifth-grade teacher, you'd be seeing a lot of red ink and a very low number. Still, I'm not insulting you, so don't take it that way, English can be difficult.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Scdfa

Dont like the message so attack the messenger sorry guy to burst your bubble. As far as keen intellect your the one who believed in the hoax not me as i said do some research.Anyone stupid enough to believe something without looking in to the facts shows a severe lack of intellect as you put it.Oh and further your point i can actually speak four languages how many can you speak? There are we done insulting others do you feel better now?

You speak four languages? That is impressive. There is no shame in English not being your native tongue, if that is the case.

This post has far fewer misspellings and the sentence structure is greatly improved, thank you for taking the extra time to make sure your points are clear. Although, punctuation is clearly not your friend. Commas are just not in your wheelhouse, apparently. Just in the single paragraph I quote above, you are missing two periods, a question mark, and NINE commas. Depending on your emphasis. Had you submitted this to my fifth-grade teacher, you'd be seeing a lot of red ink and a very low number. Still, I'm not insulting you, so don't take it that way, English can be difficult.

Well if you must know i grew up in germany that was the first language i learned picked up english when my parents moved to the states at 16. While in college learned to speak french then i had to spend 4 yrs in Saudi arabia where i learned to speak arabic. My grammar is allright english is hard in some respects the biggest problem is typing on my I phone it doesnt lend itself to editing.Again thanks for the off handed insult you have a nice day now.

Oh and edit to add as they say being a snob isnt going to get you very far in life id keep that in mind if i were you.

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   

So, do you take a balloon to work every morning? How about a helicopter or airplane?

Why not?

Oh that's right, because it's not such a trivial thing to fly, even today, over a century after the invention of heavier than air flight.

Well, actually my work does require that I travel by air quite frequently, sorry to poke holes in your statement. Me, and the 1.75 million Americans that fly every day, on over six-hundred million flights a year. That's just counting America.

On another point, thank you for admitting you were incorrect when you said we had visited every planet and moon in our solar system. It was a foolish statement to have made in the first place.

What makes you think none of that can't be explained by other more prosaic things than aliens?

After seventy years of continuous related events, Aliens IS the prosaic answer.

Surely hovering over a busy airport with plenty of tourists with cameras would produce plenty of pictures. Right?

Stop calling me Shirley. Sorry, a little Airplane! humor.

Are you saying that a disc shaped craft did not hover over O'Hare airport in broad daylight? Is that really your position?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Well if you must know i grew up in germany that was the first language i learned picked up english when my parents moved to the states at 16. While in college learned to speak french then i had to spend 4 yrs in Saudi arabia where i learned to speak arabic. My grammar is allright english is hard in some respects the biggest problem is typing on my I phone it doesnt lend itself to editing.

Ah, so I was completely correct in guessing English was not your first language. I'm a keen observer, it seems. You speak more languages than I do, sir, I applaud your multilingualism. My intent was never to insult, it was I who was having difficulty understanding you.

Wo im Deutschland?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar and the other guy

I consider myself openminded, and will hear both sides to a perspective, but when people start getting self righteous in their beliefs and demeaning others, that is where I draw the line. A bunch of drunk rednecks is the reason we study this issue, come on now, really? Nothing happened at Roswell, and all the witnesses and locals who put their asses on the line to speak up are just making it up?

the ex military, FAA and civilian government employees coming forward about this.. are just giving us amusing stories.. in accord with your attitude towards these men and woman, who have also risked their careers and perhaps more than that, we should just smirk arrogantly while writing them off as liars, and then make unrealistic and demanding claims for proof from these men and women? Have you even listened to their testimony?

writing it all off a hoax works to an extent, because a lot of these cases ARE hoaxes. But there is substance and credibility to dozens of cases, too many to list here. Between that, the government witnesses, the supposed abductees whom we as a society have shunned and ignored, the crop circles that get more elaborate (and show up overnight in the middle of a thunderstorm), sightings across the world and even indications from our own past.. There's just so many indicators, not proofs, that we *may* have been or continue to be visited or monitored by entities more advanced than us- and that doesn't necessarily mean extraterrestrial. Can you prove all of this a hoax and nothing but lies and drunk rednecks, or are you too making an extraordinary claim that requires more than useless rhetoric to back it up?

personally- I'm getting tired of the "EXTRAORDINARY evidence EXTRAORDINARY claims" yada yada we know man, you "require extraordinary evidence", first of all most of us are not claiming anything but speculating on possibilities on the Aliens and UFOs forum. I am here because I had an encounter in northern New Mexico I can't explain either- only to be met by demands for proof and subtle insults to my intelligence. You demand proof for you, because many of us think there might be more to this than meets the eye? proof for something we don't necessarily believe in?

What the hell am I supposed to do hijack an alien craft, kill the inhabitants put them on ice, and keep it in my garage for you?

To Jadestar, while I see you are extremely intelligent (and I like your posts a lot, to be honest) but being an astrophysics or astronomy major doesn't give your opinion any more credibility over the hundreds of eyewitnesses and serious investigators who have put decades of research into this issue. why the hell should we listen to you over them?

posted on Jan, 14 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Scdfa

Well if you must know i grew up in germany that was the first language i learned picked up english when my parents moved to the states at 16. While in college learned to speak french then i had to spend 4 yrs in Saudi arabia where i learned to speak arabic. My grammar is allright english is hard in some respects the biggest problem is typing on my I phone it doesnt lend itself to editing.

Ah, so I was completely correct in guessing English was not your first language. I'm a keen observer, it seems. You speak more languages than I do, sir, I applaud your multilingualism. My intent was never to insult, it was I who was having difficulty understanding you.

Wo im Deutschland?

Ich wuchs in lubeck jedoch die meisten meiner in Hamburg lebhaft Verwandten auf. Dont get the chance to use german much anymore funny but not alot of people here at the university know german so i guess i really need to visit my family again been a couple of years.Where are you from?

Ps if you were not trying to be insulting then you really need to work on your people skills.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join