It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First N. America H5N1 Bird Flu Death Confirmed in Canada

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
After 10 deaths from H1N1 swine flu in the past season, an Alberta resident returning from Beijing was admitted to an Edmonton hospital on January 1 - then died two days later from H5N1 bird flu. Canadian Health Minister Rona Ambrose says this is an isolated incident. ...Not sure she can say that for sure.

First N. America H5N1 Bird Flu Death Confirmed in Canada

Canadian Health Minister Rona Ambrose said the deceased person was an Alberta resident who had recently travelled to Beijing.

Calling the death an "isolated case", Ms Ambrose said the risk to the general population was low.

Ten people have died in Alberta this season from swine flu, or H1N1.

…the infected person first showed symptoms of the flu on an Air Canada flight from Beijing to Vancouver on 27 December, officials said.

The passenger continued on to Edmonton and on 1 January was admitted to hospital where they died two days later.

Canadian federal health officials said they would not identify the patient's sex, age or occupation.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
S&F

RIP Northamerican patient fatality.. zero?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You are correct i completely did not see that 5......my bad
edit on 8-1-2014 by RogueValleyMFR because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-1-2014 by RogueValleyMFR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by RogueValleyMFR

I think you are confusing H1N1 with H5N1. This is the first death of H5N1 in all of North America.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:56 PM
link   

dainoyfb

I think you are confusing H1N1 with H5N1. This is the first death of H5N1 in all of North America.

I don't' expect it to take off in Canada however. If there's one thing we know well it's the flu and how to contain it. We also aren't the type to under react to these sorts of situations.

For once I trust that the Albertan medical society and Canada in general will be able to handle this just fine.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   

H1N1 swine flu is hitting hard across North America. This is H5N1 bird flu - it hasn't been seen outside Asia til now.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Yeah, from what I understand it doesn't generally transmit between humans, so not a big threat at this point.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

For once I trust that the Albertan medical society and Canada in general will be able to handle this just fine.

One case is just that - one case. But why would you think it's in any society's power to handle this just fine? Seems the strain was not identified til after the patient died, and as I recall Replikins did predict H5N1 is this year's the most likely pandemic candidate.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Apparently H5N1 is not contagious in reptiles, so our government should remain intact.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:06 PM
link   
So far 648 people in Asia contracted H5N1 and 384 have died. That's over 50% kill rate. That in itself is concerning enough. What if it mutated?

I would sure like more information as it comes by.
edit on 8-1-2014 by texasgirl because: spelling

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Returned from China, I'm assuming to a airport where the subject was in contact with MANY people, then those people travel all round the world and before you know it, we have a problem... This is why diseases and pandemics scare me so much, because it's so easy for it to spread from one location to MANY in no time. And if it's fast spreading, watch out..

This will be interesting to monitor moving forward.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

One case is just that - one case. But why would you think it's in any society's power to handle this just fine? Seems the strain was not identified til after the patient died,

I hate to say it ,but with a dead patient zero, they have more to work with now to prevent future infections as well as increase detection proficiency.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

Thank you!!!

I laughed out loud, really did.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Why do you think the Edmonton case is patient zero? Do you have an inside source?

...Damage control aside, as far as we know, H5N1 has not mutated to be easily transmissible between humans. So all the other people on that flight, plus all their families, children, work associates, friends, casual contacts and 6 degree et ceteras most probably have nothing to worry about.

PLEASE NOTE: I personally do not think this is the start of a pandemic. Just a worrying development.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Why do you think the Edmonton case is patient zero? Do you have an inside source?

My husband is an MD with friends who work at that hospital.

This is patient zero for Canada, so all of the preparations and testing etc, will be based around his experience and what they find in the autopsy.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Why do they call it "patient 0", wouldn't it be patient 1, as in first one diagnosed with this? Confused by the terminology...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jhn7537

Source

The index case or primary case is the initial patient in the population of an epidemiological investigation, or more generally, the first case of a condition or syndrome to be described in the medical literature, whether or not the patient is thought to be the first person affected. ...

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Great to have an inside track.
I imagine there's much chatter in Edmonton's medical community. I'm curious whether or not it's a new clade. (Hint, hint.) Also, if we don't start hearing about other new cases within 7-15 days, it probably is an isolated case.

PS. My daughter and her significant other just moved there. How 'bout I send her over to your house if TSHTF?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Great to have an inside track. I imagine there's much chatter in Edmonton's medical community. I'm curious whether or not it's a new clade. (Hint, hint.) Also, if we don't start hearing about other new cases within 7-15 days, it probably is an isolated case.

It probably is.

PS. My daughter and her significant other just moved there. How 'bout I send her over to your house if TSHTF?

Were in New Brunswick lol

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   

lol. You DO know I was kidding, right? ...China recently reported an H5N1 outbreak in poultry but I haven't seen anything about human infections there. Do you know anything different?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join