It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Golden age' of antibiotics 'set to end'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Source

We cannot say we weren't warned. The growing threat of antibiotic resistant organisms is once again in the spotlight.

Prof Jeremy Farrar, the new head of Britain's biggest medical research charity the Wellcome Trust said it was a "truly global issue".

In his first major interview since taking up his post, Prof Farrar told BBC Radio 4's Today programme that the golden age of antibiotics could come to an end unless action is taken.

Audio Interview with Prof jeremy Farrar

A fascinating read that has a ton of links to other articles and research backing this up. People today take for granted a lot of what antibiotics can do and there will be a dramatic difference when they lose a lot of their effectiveness.

This story also was posted today: Outbreak of 'nightmare bacteria' in Illinois stirs worry

The outbreak, centered on a hospital in a Chicago suburb, has infected 44 people in Illinois over the past year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. The bug, known as carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae, bears a rare enzyme that breaks down antibiotics.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSmediaPRO

A few years ago I was reading that a Doctor in a London Hospital ( i'm not sure which one) eliminated staph infections entirely from her hospital, by locking up anti-biotics and only using them in the most dire of circumstances.

Much like the over diagnosis of ADHD and the constant drugging of our youth, the whole antibiotics craze of the last 30 years is finally starting to show it's ugly face. I doubt it will be pretty once one of these highly contagious, highly deadly, resistant strains of whatever start hitting the population.

~Tenth

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Does this mean that the population is going to drop as outbreaks of these newly evolved bacteria run rampant? Or is there some way we can revolutionize the fight against these tiny killers once more?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   

I think that guy is behind the times. The "Golden Age of Antibiotics" ended a while ago.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:49 PM
link   
This is some scary stuff. Without antibiotics, there IS no modern medicine. Surgery etc would be impossible, and we'd just have to let people who had certain ailments die. VERY upsetting stuff.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Nature has finally succeeded to find a way of killing us again, a way we can't undo like that...

I think this is a logical consequence, of our lifestyles. I hope for the people though, that we discover new medicine though.
Suffering from disease, isn't pleasant and deadly makes it even worse...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:28 PM
link   

And yet I still hold out hope that they have a backup plan. I wonder sometimes if there truly are cures out there we don't know about because the pharmaceutical industry makes billions off of people's illnesses and sickness, cancer being one that comes to mind. Think about it, if they had a "cure" the oncologists and cancer industry would lose out on all that money. As far as super resistant bacteria goes, I do tend to believe that some strains build resistance. I'm really curious what they have in the works that we don't know about, though. Time will tell.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Sinter Klaas
Nature has finally succeeded to find a way of killing us again, a way we can't undo like that...

I think this is a logical consequence, of our lifestyles. I hope for the people though, that we discover new medicine though.
Suffering from disease, isn't pleasant and deadly makes it even worse...

So what, we should go back and live nasty short lives of 40 years like our ancestors?

No thank you!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:10 PM
link   
I am allergic to every antibiotic there is NO joke.( mast cell activation disorder) Its hell, but I am still here!

I have have had to use trial and error with natural products and such to kill infection.

If antibiotics become useless, at least my body is used to fighting infection.

Prevention really is a pound of cure. Chronic Uits GONE with lemon grass tea. Chest infections do not get too out of hand
with an ozone machine . Strepp, oregano oil mixed with listerine gargle . (taste awful but it works)

I have fought kidney infections, pnemonia, Strepp, uti's etc without them. Even hard to kill negative gram bacteria.

Surgery is another story. Because of my allergies I can not have it.

They are very over prescribed. They kill good bacteria, causes thrush and such in your system , which causes autoimmune crap.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:10 PM
link   
What would you recommend for me?
I had a root canal chiselled down to bits then extracted after several bouts of antibiotic. (No I might have to take the chitin inhibitor Lufenuron again aside from Japanese probiotics, but ever since the drilled apart that poisonous tooth, I can still feel the poison - old anaerobic bacteria - attacking my gums, my sinuses and my eyes. The I seem to have gotten a serious virus with stomach cramps, weakness, fever and expectoration dripping in the back of by tooth. I take garlic, liberal Vitamin C powder, parsley, silver colloid, but either I am weak and want to lie down (unable to walk the dog), or have stomach issues including waves of sickness - expectoration from my eyes all the time. If a car passes me by w/a badly adjusted exhaust, I squirm from stomach sickness even when I had just eaten. Hot chili and wine seem to dissolve some of these problems temporarily.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by dorkfish87

nature always has better alternatives to the pharmas synthetic options ....

frugallysustainable.com...

And nature has a lot more to offer not listed there ...

new topics

top topics

join