It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

White House: Global Warming Probably Responsible For ‘Polar Vortex,’ Record Low Temperatures Acr

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

The question about that chart I have is who made it? Oh wait that takes investigation..... Maybe there should be a new ATS rule. Before posting any articles (or charts) the money behind the article should be also be posted.

I myself have been guilty of it and it something I am trying to fix. There is no point in being unhappy about he content on ATS if I don't follow the same rules I wish others would.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   

beezzer
A chart to perhaps, put things in perspective.

Yeah bot does it tells me not to move to greenland for one.And number two maybe it will get warm enough again so they can start growing grapes. Then i guess we could change the name back to vinland sounds cooler to me anyway.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Star for you.

Good point.

Will investigate.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Okay.

Here's the link and the study and the graph.

www.wunderground.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

One step further for those that care not to bother.

The chart you linked to was made by Jeffrey Masters. He is a PHD and co-founder of The Weather Underground.
Here is a little bit about him.

While working on his Ph.D., he co-founded The Weather Underground, Inc. in 1995. He wrote much of the software that ingests and formats the raw NWS data used on the website, and created most of the imagery on the tropical page. Jeff currently serves as Director of Meteorology and on the Board of Directors for the company. Jeff lives in the Ann Arbor, Michigan area with his wife and daughter. He and his wife are active in managing a 32-acre natural area owned by their neighborhood association. They spend a lot of time killing invasive plants such as garlic mustard, glossy buckthorn, and Asian bittersweet, and planting native species to take their places. Jeff enjoys hiking, cross country skiing, vegetarian cooking, and meditation. His favorite places are Havasu Canyon in the Grand Canyon and the Boiling River in Yellowstone National Park. His favorite book is Autobiography of a Yogi, and his favorite movie is Monty Python and the Holy Grail. He enjoys listening to Tangerine Dream, Loreena McKennitt, Anugama, and Beethoven. He occasionally picks up his trombone, but hasn't played much since freshman year in college, when he played with the University of Michigan Marching Band.

Due to following the money and seeing he has plenty of his own and is not working for anyone else he should IMO be considered a credible source! Unless anyone can find something that says he has financial skin in convincing people.

Star for you Beezer ( :

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

MysterX

The government probably doesn't think the people are smart enough to realise that ALL weather on this and every other planet is determined by the SUN...anyone looked at the high weirdness displayed by the sun over the last decade?

I suppose we're responsible for the sun's antics too are we?

Sheesh.

So your saying that the Sun is the cause of all earthly weather issues. I'll accept that. To believe that other factors cannot affect outcomes is to not be thorough.

Greenhouse gases regulate our global temperatures by allowing infrared rays to escape. A build up of those greenhouse gases means less infrared rays escape and allow the global temperatures to rise slightly. Increasing global temperatures play an important role in the circulation of water vapor, and have a sizeable impact on rainfall patterns. Rising global temperatures have an effect on ocean temperatures around the world. Higher ocean temperatures contribute to the frequency and intensity of extreme weather events. Greenhouse Gases Like Steroids for Extreme Weather The buildup of CO2 and other greenhouse gases (water vapor, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone) is occurring and is real. I would characterize the statement by the White House as accurate.

Either way, bad weather sucks when it's happening to you.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

With all due respect,

I think that many speculate about the damage that could occur on the earth (in terms of climate) with the influence of man.

But data is still being collected.

Some data collected is biased. Either for or against, based on whom does the funding.

I'm not ready to jump on any bandwagon just yet because there isn't enough data.

My educational background calls me a scientist. Unbiased, honest data, peer-reviewed data, should be presented in context to the global age of the earth.

Not just pandering for taxes or political motivation.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dragonridr

The Polar Vortex neither proves nor disproves global warming, it's there all winter, every winter. What's really at issue is when the vortex walls weaken and send cold air spilling southward or the whole vortex itself moves further south(the vortex normally keeps the coldest arctic air contained). Warm blocks of air and Sudden Stratospheric Warming events cause the walls to weaken. An increase (based on our short monitoring) in how many times the vortex breaks down has been observed over the past few years, which is what points to this being related to the planet warming.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We are in the same boat. I am convinced however that is impossible to deny man has had some influence. How much so is anyone's guess at this point so I can't say man kicked it off all by his lonesome.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Kali74
reply to post by dragonridr

The Polar Vortex neither proves nor disproves global warming, it's there all winter, every winter. What's really at issue is when the vortex walls weaken and send cold air spilling southward or the whole vortex itself moves further south(the vortex normally keeps the coldest arctic air contained). Warm blocks of air and Sudden Stratospheric Warming events cause the walls to weaken. An increase (based on our short monitoring) in how many times the vortex breaks down has been observed over the past few years, which is what points to this being related to the planet warming.

Well this just tells me we need it warmer so that we dont have that cold air coming south.All i know is after the last couple of days i want warmer.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Mamatus
reply to post by beezzer

We are in the same boat. I am convinced however that is impossible to deny man has had some influence. How much so is anyone's guess at this point so I can't say man kicked it off all by his lonesome.

Neither can I.

But we have activists stating that, "All cats die. People die. Therefore, people are cats!"

And we have others saying just the opposite because they are against the activists, not the poorly conducted science.

To be frank, we need to take a few steps back. Conduct impartial science. Make conclusions regardless of the political impact.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by VictorVonDoom

First a committee to study it!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:13 PM
link   

webedoomed
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Well at least your post will remain up to be proven incorrect.

Win!

Pretty sure of yourself huh LOL. I think it should be "will remain up if proven to be correct or incorrect." I believe the ice-age is coming boys and girls, if you don't that's fine, everyone has an opinion.

There is so much alleged evidence piled up on both sides of the argument by claims from supposed experts. Pro and con experts abound, but what is real in this virtual reality? It's very easy to make pretty graphs and fudge numbers like the IPCC and the zealots promoting man-made global warming and then pump the bought and paid for media and governments, easy to use tenure and grants to extort and exploit "scientists," but what's the point if it isn't about money and power, which it is? I could tell you a little history about $150 million in tax and public funds frauds as well as IP theft involving a university, a government minister and the Canada Revenue Agency (hiding the whole thing using the Superior Court of Canada), but that's for another time ;-)

We all know we have to get the hell away from fossil fuels in a hurry because they are just not sustainable in the long term. Plus they do add to the pollution content, not just from my (cough cough) Viper or my (cough cough) highly fuel efficient Hummer, at least I don't have a jet, or do I? But I don't think anything I do is creating weather changes on Mars and Jupiter as has been evidenced from all the NASA and independent astronomer data. No, these changes have to be done by something we all share in common and it sure as hell isn't cow farts and SUV's, it's the Sun and our transit through interstellar space, possibly the occasional nebula. I hope you realize we do not live in a static system. Our solar system "corkscrews" around the galaxy on a sinusoidal path above and below the galactic plane so we are bound to meet something along the way, be it interstellar debris or nebula.

So, I will ask again if you or anyone has a solution that will regulate the fuel consumption of the Sun or maybe a way of steering the solar system around offending areas of space or a way to regulate climate based on geo-thermal mediation, spit it out. I don't have a solution but you seem pretty sure of yourself. I do know that collectively we do not have the technology to perform any of the above Type 1 civilization feats required and all the money in the world, all the financial rape and taxation by governments is not going to change that simple fact.

Cheers - Dave
edit on 1/8.2014 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

"Like others I am on a mission to wake up the deniers to the reality of Climate Change. It won't work as most are just like Birthers and will ignore all evidence to support their own views."

Global Climate Change or Global Warming?
Ever Heard of the CCX?
Chicago Climate Exchange

The markets (Wall Street) already makes money trading commodities like food and fuel, imagine the money if they could commoditize air.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Polar Vortex sounds like a bad movie on Syfy...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Ydo realize that the Polar Vortex is natural and our planet has always had one?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Well, it's always interesting to see the different sides of this very active and energetic debate. After all, both sides make good points. Beezzer found an interesting chart, so I went looking a bit and while sourcing where that one came from, I came across something even more interesting, as it tracks 3 different world sample locations for historic temperature swings.

Did the influx of freshwater 8,200 years ago from large lakes in what is now northern Canada help trigger the coldest climate event in the Earth's climate system in the past 10,000 years?

So much unknown as yet for exactly what does cause and impact the climate trends of our planet, although research and very serious effort at that, is necessary, I'd agree.

Another climate mystery that scientists have puzzled over in recent years is why during the the"middle Holocene" (roughly 7,000 to 5,000 years ago), temperatures seemed to be warmer than even present day temperatures. Indeed, some of the paleoclimatic data suggest that temperatures were several degrees Celsius hotter than today.

Well, man was around during that period, but not in any level of technology likely to have had impact on climate patterns, despite the mystery of the warming without obvious explanation at that time.

The source for that is the NOAA Satellite and Information Service

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It's been both warmer and colder on earth than it is today. In fact, there have been periods where CO2 has been far more prevalent in the atmosphere than it is today, up to 1,000 ppm even, and there were still glaciers.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

That is what the long term record seems to show, yes. Our planet warms and cools by rather striking ranges, all by itself and many times over for just the small piece (relative to a 4 billion year history) we can actually see of our planet.

Just looking at the thousands of different miniature vortexes and currents between Japan and the United States for the Pacific is mind boggling for how far beyond simple or obvious these forces are.

As you say tho, what we do know is that our humble abode has been both significantly hotter and significantly cooler in just the last several thousand years. A mere blink in the timeline of our old rock.

I'm more concerned about it actually being nature having a need to change one direction or the other. We're in quite a spot to find a way to adapt or die if that's what we're starting to watch happen again.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by trumpet

Well, if it were greenhouse gasses that we are going to get all huffy about then we should be looking at ones that trap heat far worse than CO2 does. Why aren't they going after things like excess water vapor which is one of the worst offenders?

Maybe it's because carbon is so ubiquitous everywhere that it's the perfect mechanism for a global, inescapable tax. Heck, the EPA even has CO2 declared a pollutant - a gas that plants cannot survive without. How long will it be before they tax you just for being alive and breathing?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join