It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government offers new approach to classroom discipline

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
First off, I used the Search Function, No Matches Found.
MODS: Please move if placed in the wrong forum.

Now maybe I'm just not watching the news enough or I'm missing the news where only Black and Mexican Kids are being Expelled from school and sent to prison and the White Kids are giving a Slap on the Wrist.

Attorney General Eric Holder said the "zero-tolerance" approach to punishing students often brings black and Hispanic students into the court system.

This is B S

The Obama administration is issuing new recommendations on classroom discipline that seek to end the apparent disparities in how students of different races are punished for violating school rules.

Civil rights advocates have long said that a "school-to-prison" pipeline stems from overly zealous school discipline policies targeting black and Hispanic students that bring them out of school and into the court system.

Attorney General Eric Holder said the problem often stems from well intentioned "zero-tolerance" policies that too often inject the criminal justice system into the resolution of problems. Zero tolerance policies, a tool that became popular in the 1990s, often spell out uniform and swift punishment for offenses such as truancy, smoking or carrying a weapon. Violators can lose classroom time or become saddled with a criminal record.

Gov. Offers New Guide Lines
The article goes on and on about how there's more Black and Hispanic Kids being arrested and something as to be done and the schools need to get more involved with the parents and so on and so on
Cry Me a River!
Take the people that have place themselves in-charge of the Education system OUT OF IT!
Yes, the Progressive Liberal that thinks it's attempted murder if your 7 year old points their finger at his / her playmate and goes BANG!
Or it's RAPE or SEXUAL HARASSMENT if Preschoolers or little ones give their friend a Hug or Kiss.
Sh*t, Kids will be Kids
Like it or Not.
Hell,,, These people today would of thrown me in Jail when I was 6 years old, My Favorite Past was Playing Doctor and Daddy and Mommy in the Bushes
What kid doesn't or hasn't experimented?
Obama needs to have the Law change and tell these Old Tight A## Liberals To Lighten Up!

Start Cracking the Whip on them when their 12 and older, maybe.

ETA: Obama, How about you concentrate on getting the American People Back to Work and Then Bringing an End To This Fiasco called Obamacare, it's a Lot like You, It Doesn't WORK!

edit on 8-1-2014 by guohua because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Zero tolerance hasn't worked anywhere else in life either. Freedom minded people call that fascism. No?

Id prefer your kid didn't go to jail, ever but of course if you think the penal system is the best place for a child who literally has a brain like sponge you know... get the tracking chips, get the handcuffs, call the cops ect.. keep feeding the prison system beast.

I would say anyone thinks a kid should be in jail, instead of in a positive learning environment that encourages productivity and good values... I dunno I'd have my doubts about. They've never been in jail or they're just I dunno, messed up in the head.

Reading more now, thanks for sharing.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
How do we teach these kids!?

I think punishment as a whole is messed up in USA, minor drug charges go to prison, major charges get out too soon and reoffend, and the kids and young adults find it FAR TOO EASY to get arrested and thrown in prision.

The rehabilitation hardly never works, heck every movie is ABOUT convincing them you are okay now to get realsed and commit crime, thats actually "cool" to some people.

Therefore the punishments and possibly laws need to be tweaked, theres a TONNE of jobs to do for a city constantly and too many people are getting prison instead of good community service.

I mean a Pot head caught and made to do 100 hours picking up dog crap, you can bet that when thats 500 hours next time they will really consider just not bothering with it.

Sorry, a little ranty.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Nephalim

Id prefer your kid didn't go to jail,

I don't have any kids at home, Hell my youngest grand kid is 19 years old.
I was talking about ME, playing doctor and house with any willing female

I noticed you said that you had more reading to do.
Most School Discipline Does Not Mean Court

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Sorry I didnt mean you specifically. lol rather folks who are quick to use the penal system, applies to people in general. I agree with Biigs up there mostly. I just dont much believe in "debts to society" for things that are actually no more than a nuisance or something that irritates others more than it actually harms anyone. I have a problem with the state "disciplining" people too. Its, you know, the schools and the police are not the parents. Out this way, the school system is part of the state and is paid for by community tax.

Speaking in terms of child discipline, hell I got licks. They didnt call the cops. It was more like come on in, bend over the chair swat swat swat, sign this please, quick lecture and go back to class. You walk down the hall with your tale on fire. lol There were no chips, or tags or "campus police." truancy was swats or D-hall. Those numbers went up do to severity. Suspension and even expulsion after a while.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Nephalim because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

The crucial point the Government seems to have completely missed...is when they take impressionable kids out of education for minor, childish lawbreaking and put them into the prison system...they are actually taking away academic education in schools in favour of a criminal education in the Universities of crime, which is exactly what a prison is...a place where you learn crime and criminal behaviour.

But whatever keeps the private, for-profit prison business supplied in customers...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterX

ish, education as a whole man, totally off imo. The main point of school is to learn. Im not so sure about all this testing personally. Heck these days with the internet, or a good home library, a parent could possibly teach their kids at home and help get them ready to go out and work. Which would be further possible if both parents weren't working, which goes into the cost of living. Inflation without correction ect. and too many people monetizing many of the institutions we originally created for the common good or benefit. But yea I agree for the most part. I'm all for individual studies though, particularly in the later years 10th through college so about the last 7 years of study or higher ed right?
1-6
7-9
10-12
2 years roughly for associates
4 years normally for bach
5 I think for masters

I'd just dump the 8 hour school day, punishments and subjects like algebra altogether.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

MysterX

The crucial point the Government seems to have completely missed...
[SNIP]
But whatever keeps the private, for-profit prison business supplied in customers...
The government didn't miss that point, society did. The government is 100% knowledgeable and culpable for constructing the current prisoners=paydays system of criminal "justice" in the USA.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Zero tolerance is just zero thought. Schools have long since stopped being about education and growth. its more about formatting out conflict and making nice little controllable drones, so anything that sticks above the flock is culled.

Just dont use the public school system, people these days honestly think school teaches anything of relevance?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

I could be labeled progressive or liberal and I couldn't agree more with you. Let the kids be kids.

Also, there is no logic behind 'anything that can be used as a weapon is a weapon'. I've been stabbed by a pencil and hit with a desk, both in school. (the pencil was an accident, the desk was not) My teacher wouldn't even let me go to the nurse when I got stabbed, just said to go wash it off. I had a pencil go through my hand and could see through the hole! Wash it off, indeed... /rant

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by guohua

1. Government steps in.
2. Government imposes rules.
3. The rules create a problem.
4. Government steps in to solve problem. (that they created)

cha-cha-cha

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Why dont we let children drive?
Why dont we let children drink alcohol?
Why dont we let children play in dangerous places?
Why....
Why.......
Why..........
Its simple, they dont have the skills or inteligence because they are CHILDREN. However!!! as soon as they put a foot wrong the system jumps on them and wants to punish them the same way it punishes an adult!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:37 PM
link   
This crap has to stop! It's time to start means testing, drug testing and psychologically testing the teachers and administrators of our school systems. I mean that's where this healthcare hijacking is going, so if it's good enough to means test us, drug test us and psychologically test us for the right to exercise our second amendment it's good enough to do the same to those in charge of our nations children. We are letting these Liberal Progressives indoctrinate our kids, our nations most valuable commodity with complete utter nonsense. When a child disrupts a classroom, or bullies another child we give that child a pass and say look at the social upbringing that little monster had it's not fair to discipline them. Well it's not fair for the people doing the right thing in life in giving their child a proper social structure to have to put up with this nonsense. A reckoning is coming and it's going to be messy and the line is being drawn after years of destroying our education system.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Zeppp
We are letting these Liberal Progressives indoctrinate our kids, our nations most valuable commodity with complete utter nonsense.

I am curious. What would a non Liberal Progressive indoctrinate our kids with?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:13 PM
link   

trumpet

Zeppp
We are letting these Liberal Progressives indoctrinate our kids, our nations most valuable commodity with complete utter nonsense.

Let me start by pointing out you violated the terms of T&C by posting a one sentence post.
A non Liberal Progressive agenda would have insane subjects like English, Math, Science, American and World history, not a crash course on the book Heather Has Two Mommies.
In a non Progressive Liberal environment elementary children would not get to pick their gender assignment and choose which bathroom they would want to use like they do out here in California.
In a non Liberal progressive school system children who wore an American flag on their tee shirts would not be accused of being insensitive to children of other nationalities that are more than likely illegal immigrants.
In a non Liberal Progressive school 2+2=4 not 5 or any other answer just to make all children equal and allow the unions to say they are passing x amount of children on to the next level so they can get more tax dollars.
These are a few examples but primarily the teachers should be means tested yearly and the unions should be forced out of our school systems along with all the political correctness crap. Our children our are nations most valuable resource and they should be guarded with our lives.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Zeppp

trumpet

Zeppp

Let me start by pointing out you violated the terms of T&C by posting a one sentence post.

Thanks for pointing that out. Now count again.
1. I am curious.
2. What would a non Liberal Progressive indoctrinate our kids with?

A non Liberal Progressive agenda would have insane subjects like English, Math, Science, American and World history, not a crash course on the book Heather Has Two Mommies.

So, all the same subjects, but making sure that bigotry remains.

In a non Progressive Liberal environment elementary children would not get to pick their gender assignment and choose which bathroom they would want to use like they do out here in California.

Cultivating phobias and discrimination.

In a non Liberal progressive school system children who wore an American flag on their tee shirts would not be accused of being insensitive to children of other nationalities that are more than likely illegal immigrants.

Ooh. Stereotyping and profiling.

In a non Liberal Progressive school 2+2=4 not 5 or any other answer just to make all children equal and allow the unions to say they are passing x amount of children on to the next level so they can get more tax dollars.

See the top answer to help with that addition problem. Teachers teach to a mandate, sucks that they have to follow rules too. Mostly they'd do better without standardized testing.

These are a few examples but primarily the teachers should be means tested yearly and the unions should be forced out of our school systems along with all the political correctness crap.

Those darn unions, taking all the tax dollars. A whopping 2% of the budget. Where Taxdollars Go. I'm unclear on means testing, but if you are speaking towards certification and recertification and continued education-that's pretty standard in the education world. Just like DOT physical and knowledge testing every year for school bus drivers.

Our children our are nations most valuable resource and they should be guarded with our lives.

Here to serve!

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

trumpet

Zeppp

trumpet

Zeppp

Thanks for pointing that out. Now count again.
1. I am curious.
2. What would a non Liberal Progressive indoctrinate our kids with?

So, all the same subjects, but making sure that bigotry remains.

Cultivating phobias and discrimination.

Ooh. Stereotyping and profiling.

See the top answer to help with that addition problem. Teachers teach to a mandate, sucks that they have to follow rules too. Mostly they'd do better without standardized testing.

These are a few examples but primarily the teachers should be means tested yearly and the unions should be forced out of our school systems along with all the political correctness crap.

Those darn unions, taking all the tax dollars. A whopping 2% of the budget. Where Taxdollars Go. I'm unclear on means testing, but if you are speaking towards certification and recertification and continued education-that's pretty standard in the education world. Just like DOT physical and knowledge testing every year for school bus drivers.

Our children our are nations most valuable resource and they should be guarded with our lives.

Here to serve!

Every answer you gave came right out of the Liberal progressive playbook. You keep pushing that crap on America and you and your kind will find yourself in a very serious situation when SHTF because you cannot keep a lid on it. I fear a lot of people will hunt people like you down when SHTF because they are tired of having this nonsensical disgusting agenda ran down their throat. When the SHTF and Liberal Progressives are hunted down people like me will not stand in the way of those doing the hunting. Your type will have brought this down on yourself and all the political correctness BS of calling people bigots will not help at that point. Good luck to you in the future.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeppp

I suggest watching Inherit the Wind.

Henry Drummond says this: "Can't you understand? That if you take a law like evolution and you make it a crime to teach it in the public schools, tomorrow you can make it a crime to teach it in the private schools? And tomorrow you may make it a crime to read about it. And soon you may ban books and newspapers. And then you may turn Catholic against Protestant, and Protestant against Protestant, and try to foist your own religion upon the mind of man. If you can do one, you can do the other. Because fanaticism and ignorance is forever busy, and needs feeding. And soon, your Honor, with banners flying and with drums beating we'll be marching backward, BACKWARD, through the glorious ages of that Sixteenth Century when bigots burned the man who dared bring enlightenment and intelligence to the human mind!"

Your remarks remind me of the recent character "the Governer" from the Walking Dead.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by guohua

Do remember that this is "non-binding" but since the Federal Government is in the extortion business; meaning if you don't play along you get no funding; such policies will be enacted.

I believe though they will be only enacted in certain areas that are not meant to affect the outcome to the tune of betterment.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:46 AM
link   

VoidHawk
Why dont we let children drive?
Why dont we let children drink alcohol?
Why dont we let children play in dangerous places?
Why....
Why.......
Why..........
Its simple, they dont have the skills or inteligence because they are CHILDREN. However!!! as soon as they put a foot wrong the system jumps on them and wants to punish them the same way it punishes an adult!

I would change this to:

Why does the State not let children drive?
Why does the State not let children buy (we still have that Right to allow our children to imbibe in our homes) alcohol?
Why does the State not let children play in dangerous places?
Why does the State stick its nose in so much of our lives?
Why....
Why.....
Why......

I agree with your point, but I would exclude the pronoun "we" and just call it what it is; State Power.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join