It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What will be the outcome for the 4 people who take the one way trip to mars?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by doorhandle

From what I've been reading, there will several 'waves' of 4....4 initially, and then 4 more every 6 months or so; may be each year. Sounds plausible and sensible.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   

QueenofSpades
reply to post by doorhandle

From what I've been reading, there will several 'waves' of 4....4 initially, and then 4 more every 6 months or so; may be each year. Sounds plausible and sensible.

Exactly. There will be multiple missions.
edit on 17-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   

boohoo
Dennis Tito has been said to be worth AT LEAST $200+ million, some sources say $1 billion. I can't find Bas Lansdorp's net worth listed anywhere on the web, but to get this far with project hype its likely safe to assume he's in the $20+million club. Also Dennis Tito was invited to speak to a House Sub committee on the project,

No surprise that a guy who proposed a politically right oriented space mission was invited to speak before a political body.

By the way, there was no "House Subcommittee on the project". He was asked to speak at the House Subcommittee on Space.

A lot of people are invited to speak before them He just happened to be one of them and one of the least credible.

Would you like a list of the others?

he is proposing a P3 project. Do you know that that is?

Public Private Partnership. Duh.

One which would require more Public support than Private investment now that no one flocked to his original idea which failed to gather any real interest just as his modified second attempt is failing now.

Do you think I'm stupid? Do you know I worked as a student with NASA Ames? I actually talk with people on a regular basis who know more about this stuff than me or you.

I'm an Astronomy and Astrobiology major and probably forgot more about space before I was age 10 than you know now.

I didn't just get off of the short bus.

Sure it may not get a approved at the end of the day, but the fact that they let him come and speak, shows that the project does have some validity, certainly more than you are giving it credit for.

So basically your argument is that because Dennis Tito is richer than Bas that Tito's plan (which still has no investors nor technology partners) is more viable?

People criticize Mars One's 2025 crew launch as being too ambitious and too soon, yet you somehow believe we're going to send The Honeymooners to Mars in 2017!?!??!?!?

Even people close to Tito have criticized his plan severely for this and his asking for a government handout (i'm sorry... P3 with an emphasis on the first P) rather than using his billionaire connections. The whole thing seems like a sure way to fail.

Mars One on the other hand has everything Tito doesn't.

- Investors (no bucks? no buck rogers)
- Technology Partners (Lockheed Martin, Space-X, Bigelow Aerospace, SSTL, Google, etc)
- Mass Media (There seems to be a story about Mars One very month or so. Inspiration Mars? Not so much)
- Name Recognition (ask 10 people if they have heard of Inspiration Mars, then ask those and another 10 if they heard of Mars One)

No one cares if Dennis Tito spent $20 million to take a joyride with the Russians when he's talking about a pie in the sky, politically motivated mission at taxpayer expense.

Almost no one in the space industry takes him seriously. Mars One on the other hand, they're working with and willing to listen to.
edit on 17-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JadeStar

But Mars one is an elaborate sham and to think they chose or awarded any contract
to Lockheed martin is laughable.

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Nochzwei

But Mars one is an elaborate sham and to think they chose or awarded any contract

Believe what you want. You're basically calling Lockheed Martin stupid when the converse is more likely.

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I'll state it again, putting aside any limitations I believe the project has with technology or astronaut selection problems, I AM CRITICIZING the business model specifically. How many times do I have to say it! You still have not tried to address my concerns & issues with the Mars One Business Model.

JadeStar

Nochzwei

Believe what you want. You're basically calling Lockheed Martin stupid when the converse is more likely.

Ok, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves, the contract amount to Lockheed is around $250,000 AND as I said they are "dusting off" existing designs for Mars One to use. So as far as Lockheed is concerned the corporation is getting $250,000 of billable hours to do a "study" using rehashed existing designs. Also Mars One is trying to get the money to fulfill the Lockheed contract through Indiegogo crowd source funding. As of right now they only have $189,000 with 5 days to go. Will it cost Mars One anything to cancel the contract with Lockheed if they don't come up with the full $250,000? Or will Lockheed lower the price for PR purposes and throw the whole fee under the "business development/marketing" budget?

As for Dennis Tito, he supposedly already completed a 90 study. Which is exactly what Mars One is now paying Lockheed to do for $250,000. However I will say there is not much info on its cost so we don't know if it was done pro-Bono, is sub par or was paid for out of Tito's own pocketbook. As far as I am concerned, both projects aren't really all that far along. Only time will which will get money, and that at the end of the day, is the real deciding factor.
edit on 20-1-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2014 @ 08:57 PM
link   

JadeStar

Nochzwei

In other words, you are calling me stupid because I called Mars One a Scam, is that it,
or am I missing something? I get it, you don't understand english

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

boohoo
I'll state it again, putting aside any limitations I believe the project has with technology or astronaut selection problems, I AM CRITICIZING the business model specifically. How many times do I have to say it! You still have not tried to address my concerns & issues with the Mars One Business Model.

JadeStar

Nochzwei

Ok, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves, the contract amount to Lockheed is around $250,000 AND as I said they are "dusting off" existing designs for Mars One to use. So as far as Lockheed is concerned the corporation is getting $250,000 of billable hours to do a "study" using rehashed existing designs. Also Mars One is trying to get the money to fulfill the Lockheed contract through Indiegogo crowd source funding. As of right now they only have $189,000 with 5 days to go. Will it cost Mars One anything to cancel the contract with Lockheed if they don't come up with the full $250,000? Or will Lockheed lower the price for PR purposes and throw the whole fee under the "business development/marketing" budget?

As for Dennis Tito, he supposedly already completed a 90 study. Which is exactly what Mars One is now paying Lockheed to do for $250,000. However I will say there is not much info on its cost so we don't know if it was done pro-Bono, is sub par or was paid for out of Tito's own pocketbook. As far as I am concerned, both projects aren't really all that far along. Only time will which will get money, and that at the end of the day, is the real deciding factor.
edit on 20-1-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

Well they have done well to get nearly 200k on indigogo. Saying that I put funds towards one venture on there, a bluetooth stick on tracker thing, just a little gadget really, and that made nearly 500k. Never thought I'd see a mission to Mars trying to be funded on there thought.

I'm of the opinion only a government could possibly fund a project of this size and complexity.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Nochzwei

In other words, you are calling me stupid because I called Mars One a Scam, is that it,
or am I missing something? I get it, you don't understand english

If the shoe fits.................................

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Honestly, I can only think of all the way this can go wrong with all the mental issues that'll arise. You know, the ones that make you suicidal? Or murderous? Having to live a mundane existence (Face it, after the initial excitement of being on mars, they'll get bored.) with the same 4 people the rest of your life. Heaven forbid if they end up not liking each other. There's also the pressure of living in an environment where making one bad mistake can condemn you to a horrible, lonely death. Indeed, probably the biggest challenge of this project will be ensuring the mental states of its participants. Oh, and here's a thought. Considering how they all will eventually die no matter what, keep in mind how the last survivor will feel, he will be alone, utterly alone not one person. Alive on a desolate planet, after abandoning the family they knew, the friends they'd known and the world they were from, they were to die truly alone. They would have had to watch the last people they ever knew slowly die in whatever manner that took them. I...honestly can't imagine a worse way to die.

I'm all for exploring the solar system, expanding the race of humanity and solving all our problems by having access to virtually limitless resources, but it just doesn't sit well with me that those people are going to end up with such horrible fates. Maybe I am being overly morbid about this (Yeah, MAYBE :mnky
especially considering this specific mission probably will never happen (And by the time a mission does happen, it would likely be far more feasible for a return trip.) I guess we just have to wait and see. But a basic death sentence for a #ing TV show, thanked christ this is not gonna happen. (I will truly despise people if it does happen.)

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:05 PM
link   

flipflop

Skywatcher2011

Mamatus
They will die.

Although I truly hope it is not before sending back images of Arkens critters and artifacts.

They will die a worse radiation death than we will from Fukushima leak.

I guess no one knows what could be the outcome of this adventure, but I'm sure we hope it isn't as nasty as radiation..

Starvation? Preceded by "oh crap, I wasn't serious about the one-way thing, please can you pick me up? Please? Please????"
edit on 23-1-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by boohoo

The very likely, 6-12 months of accelerated "prep training" that these people are going to get won't cut it

The quote above is incorrect:
Crew training starts 2015
Departure crew 1: 2024
This allows 9 years of training...quite a bit can be learned in 9 yeas of applied education.

FANTASTIC THREAD !

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

mbkennel
I wasn't serious about the one-way thing, please can you pick me up? Please? Please????"
edit on 23-1-2014 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

Im hopeing for that kinda as it would spur a huge push to try and get them. Would give NASA and ESA and the Russians a huge reason to speed up there mars program and be the first to the resue.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by IntoxicatingMadness

It's not supposed to remain at 4 people forever. They're going to be adding 4 more at a time, at first.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
reply to post by IntoxicatingMadness

If all goes the way it's supposed to, they're adding 4 more people every couple of years. No one should be dying alone.

This isn't just for a tv show, it's a scientific expedition. Years ago, the science community was figuring out what 10 foods could be grown that would sustain a population for life. I don't remember what foods, but a lot of different dishes could be made from them.

I hope it all works out. If they spent half as much time on this type of endeavor instead of weapons and war, we'd be colonizing space by now

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by flipflop

I believe that this mission, a one way trip to Mars, is basically the most complicated case of impending quadruple negligent manslaughter, ever devised.

I am utterly against it in every way, and I believe that no mission should be enacted until a realistic expectation of timely return to our fair Earth can be attained by advances in propulsion and craft design, which would allow that to be a reality. To do otherwise is a senseless waste of life.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

TrueBrit
reply to post by flipflop

I believe that this mission, a one way trip to Mars, is basically the most complicated case of impending quadruple negligent manslaughter, ever devised.

I am utterly against it in every way, and I believe that no mission should be enacted until a realistic expectation of timely return to our fair Earth can be attained by advances in propulsion and craft design, which would allow that to be a reality. To do otherwise is a senseless waste of life.

Of get real!

Everyone whos going will be a volenteer. No ones putting a gun to there head. If they want to risk there lifes and go to mars let them.

No one is forceing you so why care? Crawl back into your cotton wool saftey cave and let the pioneers or fools go to mars. As long as they know all the risks and 100% volenteers why stop them.
edit on 24-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Ultimate failure due to inbreeding.

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Wingo
reply to post by boohoo

The very likely, 6-12 months of accelerated "prep training" that these people are going to get won't cut it

This allows 9 years of training...quite a bit can be learned in 9 yeas of applied education.

FANTASTIC THREAD !

Congratulations, you just successfully turned my full point into a worthless soundbite in order to favor your false belief that these people will somehow get high quality training that will keep them alive for more than a few days or weeks after launch from Earth.

Here is what I actually wrote:

Who in the world that can fix a nuclear reactor with no proper spare parts AND has prior experience, is also going to volunteer AND then be chosen for the actual mission via Facebook voting? The very likely, 6-12 months of accelerated "prep training" that these people are going to get won't cut it. The first mechanical or system failure will result in death of the whole crew otherwise. They will need someone along the lines of a modern nuclear submarine engineer, combined with the machinist's mate skill set and be able to comprehend software programming relevant to the systems on the spaceship. Does that combined even exist, let alone add in solar panel engineering knowledge and then make sure you can get it all cross-trained into just 4 people total? In fact, I'd argue the whole crew of the first 4 people will need to be comprised ENTIRELY of experienced submariners who have served on nuclear vessels for at least a decade. There is no way to get that kind of astronaut crew via volunteers, vetted by Facebook voting.

I was talking about the Mars One program claiming it will somehow do the impossible and condense this kind of knowledge and training materials/methods into a very short period AND will somehow give the initial 4 man crew, competent people in these roles at the end of 9 years, whom will have the equivalent of many years experience repairing high tech power sources. Please think HARD about this, how many of those 9 years training do you think will be devoted to STRICTLY maintaining, repairing and machining parts for the equipment needed to keep them alive on Mars? I said they will likely get about 6-12 months of THAT KIND of training, not the total overall training time. It won't be enough and is one of the many reasons they will most likely die of an accident/mistake, not old age or over exposure radiation. Mark my words the first person(s) killed on the Mars One project, on Earth or Mars, will be stem from one of the selected Civilian Astronauts making a technical error using or repairing equipment, not an accidental one like slip, fall, or medical condition.

crazyewok

Of get real!

Everyone whos going will be a volenteer. No ones putting a gun to there head. If they want to risk there lifes and go to mars let them.

No one is forceing you so why care? Crawl back into your cotton wool saftey cave and let the pioneers or fools go to mars. As long as they know all the risks and 100% volenteers why stop them.

Also lets think about this in regards to marketable skill sets/training. If someone is young and gets this 9 years of this training whats to stop them from taking this "free training" and walking away from the whole project? I mean if they are really getting good, realistic, applicable training, they will have very good career options available to them on earth, not to mention the benefits of the short term celebrity factor. To compare, it costs the US military around $500,000 to train an infantryman through basic and AIT. How much would it cost to train a Civilian Astronaut over the course of 9 YEARS to gain the skills of a pilot, submarine mechanic, machinist mate, martian survivalist and surgeon? Much more than $500,000. To put it further into perspective would any of these people have earned $500,000 in salary in 9 years time? I don't think many will have, so when you truly consider the staggering cost of training these people PROPERLY over 9 years, they have every reason to take the free training and jump ship and refuse to go at the end of it all, because the in the grand scheme of the universe they would have never gotten that kind of expensive training otherwise, nor would they have earned enough to buy equivalent training on the open market
edit on 24-1-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-1-2014 by boohoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Wingo
reply to post by boohoo

FANTASTIC THREAD !

Well after 9 years of UK schooling I still know f@#k all. Hope they have good teachers at their space camp.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11 >>

join