It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why NSA spying affects you, no matter who you are.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Why NSA spying affects you, no matter who you are.

(warning: The video does contain adult language)

In the video Jacob Appelbaum covers various tools and devices used by the NSA. Which of our electronic devices are wide open to the NSA hacks. How the NSA uses backdoors or bugs they discovered to spy on you. And not reveal those exploits to the companies affected by them. He also covers companies that are complicit in the spying of US citizens.

You may think you know of all the tricks and tools they use, but I'd bet there are a few things in the video you have never seen or heard of before. The video is just over an hour long, but it is well worth the time to watch.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Cybermerc because: spelling

edit on 8-1-2014 by Cybermerc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Cybermerc

In the video several internal NSA documents are disclosed to provide evidence of the topics Jacob is discussing. Some of them are very alarming to say the least. The last 6 minutes or so were pretty surprising for sure.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Jake discloses the way that the NSA determines which targets are fair game for deeper scrutiny, including having your mobile phone in close proximity to an existing target, like Jake himself. To drive home the point, he switches on his phone and says, "Right, anyone who's phone is on now is on the list now."

After seeing this part of the video I thought instantly that if this is true then it really wouldn't take long for pretty much everyone in the US to be a target of interest.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I just asked my father, military Ex RF engineer plus other classified stuff, if this sort of thing was possible (the last few minutes of the video, the cable implants). He told me that he couldnt tell me anything specific but that the technology worked a decade ago, maybe not for spying on computers, but yes, the RADAR technology is absolutely sound (heheh)

I wasnt sure what to believe when i watched the video but after working on some of those Dell servers and his experience, im sold.

Scary. You have a big brother and its called the NSA.

Now weather they are ACTUALLY watching is another matter and one i do not believe, but yes if you do have this equipment and they do want to watch you they totally can.

edit on 8-1-2014 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

I'm not the most technologically literate person, I will admit. I was just going to glance over the vid, but I ended up watching the whole thing. Although much of it was over my head, it was still informative and interesting, and it gave me some good starting points to continue researching; so thank you for posting it.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

The fact that they have a backdoor into most of our computing environment is very troublesome. Whats to stop them from monitoring any device for any reason? So far they have not proven that they will go the proper route to get the required warrant to be able to legally monitor a US citizen in the US. What I think needs to happen is all the backdoor / bugs should be exposed and then patched. As well as compromised hardware removed and replaced. At the least this will prevent some other group or individual from using those exploits. Plus it will prevent the NSA from spying on whomever they'd like with a warrant.

The NSA has claimed that they don't have time to get a warrant when going after terrorist. And that they have stopped several terrorist attacks because of the speed they can react with. Well, first off, they have stopped a grand total of 0 attacks. Meaning the reasoning behind the speed requirement is bogus.

NSA program stopped no terror attacks, says White House panel member

Second, the 4th amendment protects us from unreasonable searches and seizures and requires any warrant to be judicially sanctioned and supported by probable cause. Which the NSA breaks on a daily basis.

What we need is for Congress to step up and take action. You can stop laughing now, we all know they won't.

edit on 8-1-2014 by Cybermerc because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

I agree it is a bit heavy on the IT jargon and requires at least some background in IT. Jacob needs to do a laymen version of the video, it would reach a whole lot more people.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   
One reason why the computers in my house are hard wired through the wifi router. Yeah I know they might get in other ways, but not via broadcasting. I agree with him in saying they are a disgusting bunch of people, plus Snowden revealing how they do private enterprise as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I am an Australian, the NSA is allowed to spy on me because I am not an American citizen and therefore that makes me dangerous. You are an American, ASIS is allowed to spy on you because you are not an Australian citizen and that makes you a fair target. Australia and US shares intel, so basically, if they even gave a damn about the laws of the land then they can circumvent them.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:35 PM
link   
My question is 'why' are they spying on everyone? Can't we the people just spy right back?

He!! I would love to hear real time what kind of deals the gov and corps are trying to make behind our backs.
They have a lot more to hide than we the people do.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:30 PM
link   

VforVendettea
My question is 'why' are they spying on everyone? Can't we the people just spy right back?

He!! I would love to hear real time what kind of deals the gov and corps are trying to make behind our backs.
They have a lot more to hide than we the people do.

When they do it, they claim it is legal even without a warrant. When we do it, it is illegal unless you can get a warrant.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cinrad

True. That would be one way to circumvent the laws, if they followed them to begin with. Though there may be treaties in place to prevent something like that from happening. Though I doubt the US would follow said treaties.

join