It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outbreak of 'nightmare bacteria' in Illinois stirs worry

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Uh oh...largest outbreak yet and accounts for almost half of all of them since 2009. This doesn't sound good since they say it has previously only been transmitted by fecal matter and I would think not too many people come in contact with fecal matter in a hospital environment.

The largest outbreak to date of one strain of what authorities have called "nightmare bacteria" is adding to concerns about the spread of such drug-resistant bugs.

The outbreak, centered on a hospital in a Chicago suburb, has infected 44 people in Illinois over the past year, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. The bug, known as carbapenem-resistant enterobacteriaceae, bears a rare enzyme that breaks down antibiotics.

Source

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Well people come into contact with feces more than you'd think. When my sister worked at her local hospital old people would go on themselves all time and she had to clean it up. Also too you have bed pans that some patients go in. I've never heard of this bacteria though, but hopefully it isn't something to worry about too much. I work in Chemical, Biological, Radio-logical, and Nuclear (CBRN) in the Army. One thing we were taught was that new viruses and bacteria appear everyday so that worries me a good bit.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:11 AM
link   
CDCreply to post by Vasa Croe

All over but, dangerous.

How are CRE spread? To get a CRE infection, a person must be exposed to CRE germs. CRE germs are usually spread person to person through contact with infected or colonized people, particularly contact with wounds or stool. CRE can cause infections when they enter the body, often through medical devices like ventilators, intravenous catheters, urinary catheters, or wounds caused by injury or surgery. Who is most likely to get an infection with CRE? Healthy people usually don’t get CRE infections. CRE primarily affect patients in acute and long-term healthcare settings, who are being treated for another condition. CRE are more likely to affect those patients who have compromised immune systems or have invasive devices like tubes going into their body. Use of certain types of antibiotics might also make it more likely for patients to get CRE. Can CRE be treated? Many people with CRE will have the germ in or on their body without it producing an infection. These people are said to be colonized with CRE, and they do not need antibiotics for the CRE. If the CRE are causing an infection, the antibiotics that will work against it are limited but some options are often available. In addition, some infections might be able to be treated with other therapies, like draining the infection. Strains that have been resistant to all antibiotics are very rare but have been reported.

CDC
edit on 8-1-2014 by donlashway because: (no reason given)

MAP

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Well thats pretty gross it is transmitted by your poop and it is affecting an individual hospital, me thinks that it is time to bring in the health and safety board for an inspection!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I think you touch fecal matter more than you realize...you know how many parents change diapers and do less than an adequate job cleaning up.

Hospitals despite all their best efforts to keep things clean always have break outs if bacterial infections...

How many times have you seen a person leave the bathroom without washing up not to mention how fast food employees do horrible things to food..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:33 AM
link   

I think you touch fecal matter more than you realize...you know how many parents change diapers and do less than an adequate job cleaning up.

Hospitals despite all their best efforts to keep things clean always have break outs if bacterial infections...

How many times have you seen a person leave the bathroom without washing up not to mention how fast food employees do horrible things to food..

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:34 AM
link   

If you keep your toothbrush in the same room as you keep your toilet, then it is actually pretty easy to come into intimate contact with faecal matter. Not nice, but true.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Illinois likes its poop based outbreaks. Here in my town in Illinois we had a fecal matter based parasite (cryptosporidium) in the public pool. It was shut down and never opened back up. It made a bunch of folks sick, hospitalized some, and normal chlorine/pool chemicals DOES NOT kill this parasite.

Fecal matter is everywhere. People are just gross.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Fecal matter is found in many places! Some you would never think of like ketchup bottles, salt and pepper shakers, glasses and lemons from restaurants. I seen a special last year about germy places/things and fecal matter was found on the bottom of many purses that were tested due to sitting them on the floor.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Staroth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   
A couple of points on Carbapenem resistant enterobacteriaceae. Yes it lives inside the intestine of humans but it is generally not spread via fecal matter. Actually, it is almost exclusively spread in a hospital environment.

Thus far, CRE has been a primarily nosocomial infectious agent. Currently, almost all CRE infections occur in people receiving significant medical care in hospitals, long-term acute care facilities, or nursing homes.

And the bacteria likes to hang out in ICU sinks just hoping to catch a ride on a doctors arm straight to its victim.

They determined that the main reservoirs for these CRE-resistant bacteria were the ICU sinks, and that inappropriate cleaning methods accounted for the primary method of transmission from sink to sink. Furthermore, the environmental strains of the CRE bacteria were the same strains infecting the patients in the ICU, as determined from genetic analysis. This demonstrates that at risk patients were being infected in the hospital setting.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 8-1-2014 by BlackJackal because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
I am sitting currently in a hospital because of ESBL bacteria. I have worked in "old folks homes" years ago as well as being constant watch as my father died of anaplastic thyroid cancer just 3 years ago in a VA hospice.

Not sure if this is the same kind of deal. But the old lady and I can get rough during sex and while I was pinning her against the wall, her knee flew up and hit me so hard where it hurts I discharged something. A bit after we laughed about it until the next morning I was urinating what looked like rust water and one testicle was sore. Of course it scared the crap out of me and it wasn't long after I was ER bound. Tested urine and ultrasound and told me that I had a urinary tract infection.

They sent me home with mild painkillers and antibiotics. 3-4 days later the pain kept getting worse and the swelling did too.

So I went to the ER again with my pain rated at 10. My temp was at 102.8 and I was sweating like crazy. They did the ultrasound again and a urine sample (which was actually clear by then). As soon as I got back from the ultrasound they drew blood to see if infection had made it to blood. 30 minutes later they rolled me up to a bed admitting me and the doctor asked me if I had taken antibiotics a lot recently and of course I had only taken the ones they had prescribed. It had been decades since any others. She told me that my white blood cell count was 29,000 and the antibiotics they had gave me were ineffectual and they only had a couple options left.

So I sit here feeling much better now 6 days later having an antibiotic IV every 24 hours. White blood cell count is down to normal at 9,000 (normal is 4,000-11,000) and doc just informed me I will be here another day or two.

Moral of this story is please wash your hands A LOT when visiting folks in hospitals. You don't want this crap AT ALL.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:21 PM
link   

The important information here is that this superbug used to be confined to hospitals - now it's spreading in the community. Called "community acquired" infection (as opposed to "hospital acquired") this is a HUGE bad development.

edit on 8/1/14 by soficrow because: wd

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I have been involved with EM1 (effective micro-organisms 1million i.e 1million per ounce of liquid EM1) use in a foreign country and Aquaponics as well.

The later is the more wise choice.

I sent CDC tons of info on my personal observations of the over use of supposedly safe EM1 in soil treatment. One farmer was using it with Pig Manure and six months before the USCDC officially announced the 2010 outbreak of N1H1 it had already killed thousands on a remote SE Asian Island mainly weak elderly and small children. The starting point was down wind and at the bottom of the run off from this farmers Totally organic Farm where he used EM1 for soil treatment.

He created a flu virus strain from the use of fresh pig manure, composting beds and the over use of EM1. He added EM1 daily to his composting pile as he turned it and covered it to break down all sorts of organic materials in making his compost to use a fertilizer on his crops. He plowed and many down wind were exposed to the dust and many of those got violently ill with the flu. Later in the week it rained hard and carried a lot of water shed off his land into the drain canals below in a small 200 home hamlet where many young children and elderly lived and almost every home lost one member to the flu virus.

I believe some carried it to Mexico and later crossed the border into the states and brought it with them from this Island Province.

Why am I telling you this. While studying the effects of EM1 on soil treatment I began to see a correlation between over use of em-1 and the increase of anti-bacterial resistant bacteria. Since it was legalized for use we have seen an exponentially increase in all diseases and anti-bacterial resistance bacteria around the world. these bacterias become airborne, waterborne and foodborne.

EM1 is being used throughout the US by farmers as the organic alternative to commercial fertilizers but its over use will cause problems. and we have seen these problems from flesh eating bacteria to e-coli and Salmonella outbreaks that always lead to the farms in which the vegetables are grown. You see the the beds in which you compost stay very warm because of the bacterial interaction and viruses can easily stay alive in these environments as well.

Why you may ask does EM1 do this if it was deemed safe for use in the US in 1979?

Simple answer is over use but the more complex answer is in how the whole EM1 process works.

You will need to get the study and the booklet done by Professor Teruo Higa, Higa himself never carried out studies using EM-1 outside of controlled laboratory situations and stated 2 things that stood out to me in his book. 1)that if you were not using all 7 em-1 formulas you will not have good bacterial results and 2) bacterial counts vary from one location to the next whether they be a few feet to miles to continents.

But basically the composting process goes through 3 stages of activity, the build up of bacteria for decomposition of organic matter, 2) decomposition and bacterial waste (soil) creation and 3) natural anti-biotic development to kill off active bacteria before soil is used. nature will do this on its own the difference here is many farmers are over using the EM-1 formulas and as a result are developing far more that millions but billions of bacteria blends. When the bacteria get into to large of numbers some will go dormant and when stage three anti-biotic bacteria kicks in to kill off the bacteria the dormant ones are not affected and develop immunity to the anti-biotic nature produced which is the waste product of a bacteria that produces anti-biotics. Not only that the anti-bacterial bacteria then reproduces with other bacteria (it can't on its own it need another bacteria to reproduce so it uses a host bacteria) like the "nightmare bacteria" for example. and the out come of these two genetic bacteria is a creation of a resistant bacteria to anti-biotics that also in and of itself can create anti-biotics to protect itself from newer forms of anti-biotics.

Like I said the problem is the over use by the farmers and home gardeners. Cow manure mixed with em-1 produce e-coli strains, Goat, sheep and rabbit manure mixed with em-1 create flesh eating anthrax type of bacteria, Chicken manure mixed with em-1 produces salmonella types and there maybe creation of other types of bacteria or even new strains and so on and so forth.

edit on 8-1-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ChesterJohn

Whoa.....that is some serious $hit there. My father in law works in the chem industry and has been looking at the water issue with nitrates and phosphates in the water supply at farms and the like. I will have to ask him what he has seen about any of this. That is some scary stuff.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   

Advantage
Illinois likes its poop based outbreaks. Here in my town in Illinois we had a fecal matter based parasite (cryptosporidium) in the public pool. It was shut down and never opened back up. It made a bunch of folks sick, hospitalized some, and normal chlorine/pool chemicals DOES NOT kill this parasite.

Fecal matter is everywhere. People are just gross.

The human condition in and of itself is a disgusting one, it is the simple biological reality of being alive.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 08:51 AM
link   

That is interesting in a scary sort of way.

Hubby works in the biological side of animal pharma (vaccines not antibiotics). I'll have to ask him what he thinks about this. He knows far more about bugs and what they do than I do.
(accept this as a scary smiley)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 07:29 AM
link   

ketsuko

That is interesting in a scary sort of way.

Hubby works in the biological side of animal pharma (vaccines not antibiotics). I'll have to ask him what he thinks about this. He knows far more about bugs and what they do than I do.
(accept this as a scary smiley)

In the compost beds in tropical countries they cover them with black plastic after turning the material and adding more EM1. The temperatures in the beds exceed 90degreed. Hot and dark enough to grow flu and other viruses. Streptococci and Staphylococci bacteria are both found in soil around the world.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:41 AM
link   
most compost beds have become nothing more than large outdoor peatree dishes. These beds are dark and hot and viruses, bacteria, Yeasts and Fungus can grow and cross breed DNA. A common fungus DNA was found to be half the DNA of Colon Cancer.

Composting with EM1 is a great way to produce all sorts of epidemic bacteria, viruses and other diseases. One of the commercial formulas no longer available in the US but is over seas had the Candida Yeast in its formulation. One man touts that it is safe to drink in his soil conditioning seminars by drinking an ounce in front of the crowd. Another man after watching him decided he would drink some after seeing this man do it of the formula he got at his garden shop, thinking it would act as a pro-biotic. He became seriously ill and lost the collagen in his skin and bones and died 8 months later.

These formulas are safe if used in moderation in composting. But the problem is this is a multi-billion dollar a year industry now and no one wants to lose all that money if the truth about EM1 were to come out.

I do believe that this is at least one cause of why there has been an increase of anti-bacterial resistant Bacteria and Viruses as of the last 7 years. and we will see more as the use of Em-1 continues. As stated and can be proven by research that since the FDA approval (without sufficient study outside the lab) in 1979 to date the rise in diseases of all kinds and bacterial infections and the creation of resistant and flesh eating types increased on an exponential scale along side the use of EM-1 around the world. And this was to be the organic solution to chemical fertilizers.

edit on 10-1-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Chester your information deserves it's own thread, did you start one ?
I can see a connection, have there been any studies ?
Thanks, for sharing the information.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by donlashway

I accidentally came upon the correlation some 4 years ago when we had an outbreak of N1H1 six months before it appeared in the States and announced its presence. I sent all my observations to the UK Health Ministry and the US CDC. I had some communications with a Dr Swan at the UK health but after three emails she stopped responding without notice. I believe she also saw the correlation but like I said a billion dollar money making industry is involved. the worse thing is we get to create it and kill ourselves using and the EM-1 in the process.

During that time I was setting up Aguaponic farms in SO Asia and had a lot of flack and trouble from a local farmer who was using EM-1 and promoting/selling it. there was originally 7 good formulas today there are over 100 different formulas and some are very dangerous.

I can't find the link to Dr Higa's booklet if you find it read it and you will see the two things I quoted. on the back over is a triangle of soil development and the third is the a anti-biotic stage, then the whole thing starts over again. Evertime I read an article on flesh eating or other bacterial outbreak even if it is one person it gets me. A lady in Oregon was using em-1 and rabbit manure died from a flesh eating strain so did a person in NZ using sheep manure in her composting.

Arizona seems to be a hot spot of bacterial outbreaks too, seeing a lot of farms there are growing lettuce and using EM-1 too.

I will look again for Higa's book and yes start its own thread. And NO nobody has done any studies and it doesn't seem that anyone is concerned about it at these disease control centers.

I had all the info and study I did on a computer in the field when I left in Dec 2012. I went back in Oct 2013 and the computer was dead and I couldn't retrieve the Data. Now that may seem like something that just happens right, but the whole article I wrote on my findings I put on curezone was wiped clean except the title. curezone . Not only that try finding Higa's book online anymore it too is gone, and there is more, all negative articles and research concerning EM-1 is can no longer be found the web. I wasn't the only one who saw these things but none of the articles I or others posted online anywhere are there today and it has only been a few years some I did in 2012.

Who has the power to do that?

edit on 10-1-2014 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

top topics

join