It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two officers cleared in shooting of mentally ill NC teen; third remains on leave

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Two officers cleared in shooting of mentally ill NC teen; third remains on leave

WECT-TV reported Tuesday that an officer from the Boiling Springs Lake Police Department and a deputy from the Brunswick County Sheriff's Office have been cleared. An officer from the Southport Police Department -- identified by the police chief as Detective Bryon Vassey -- remains on paid administrative leave. Vassey is a nine-year veteran of the department, according to Chief Jerry Dove, and has never been placed on leave before.

Keith Vidal, 18, died Sunday afternoon after being shot by one of the officers called to his family's home in Boiling Springs Lake. The family says the called for police assistance after Vidal suffered a schizophrenic incident and grabbed a small screwdriver.

Vidal's stepfather, Mark Wilsey, said that officers used a Taser on his son several times before one of the officers said, "We don't have time for this," and shot between the two officers holding the teen down.

Click link for remainder of article...

The first officers on scene told dispatch that thing had calmed down. 14 minutes later Det. Vassey arrives on scene, and quickly there after he called shots fired on the radio.

According to his lawyer he, Vassey, did nothing wrong. Vassey is claiming self defense.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thanks for the update on this. I'm glad to hear the other two are cleared off the case by what the early descriptions have been of events. 70 seconds from Vassey's call of arrival to his call of shots fired in defense. That's one fast fast gunfight, especially shooting through two fellow cops holding someone down.

I'm thinking we're likely to find it's like the BART Transit shooting, where he executed the guy with a near point blank shot ,..also with other cops holding him down..because he went tilt in the moment and confused a taser for a firearm.

Perhaps they need to STOP making tasers anything remotely like a gun for shape and feel. It's killing people and doing no favors to the cops whose lives are also effectively over the moment the mistake is made.

Why not hollow out a Maglite as one example, and mount all the Taser gear in a tube instead of a gun frame? Absolutely no question which is which that way, even when blown by adrenaline and not thinking. One can still tell a gun from a flashlight tube.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If a mistake was made with regard to pulling a firearm, thinking it was a Taser.....

Why would the officer have uttered the words, 'We don't have time for this'?

And why didn't they have time for that? Were there a lot of other calls that were stacking up because he was forced to spend 70 seconds before he executed the kid?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:19 AM
link   

butcherguy
If a mistake was made with regard to pulling a firearm, thinking it was a Taser.....

Why would the officer have uttered the words, 'We don't have time for this'?

And why didn't they have time for that? Were there a lot of other calls that were stacking up because he was forced to spend 70 seconds before he executed the kid?

I'd ask that in just the opposite way... What in the world would have possessed an experienced detective to say something about not having time......as he creates a shooting scene with a fatal victim that will have him tied up for days (if it had been clear cut as justified) and likely years as it stands now?

His words make sense as Detective Rambo, walking in to 'show the others' how it's done ..so he's going to storm right up, take aim, and shock the kid into the next life, or until he just can't resist even a little anymore. ....basically what we all call gross abuse of the tasers, anyway ...when Rambo realizes brain ran MUCH faster than intelligence and it isn't the taser with darts but the end of his career and life he just fired, by murdering the kid with a live round.

^^ At least that's my take so far...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I thought about that too, while I was writing my post.
I think that the question will come up, if he goes to trial, from a prosecutor 'What did you mean by that statement?'
He can't have an answer that works. He did nothing but dramatically increase the time spent on the call by not only the police officers, but EMT's and added a coroner!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

True there... If this was an accident, as I suspect it was? It hardly matters now and that won't really help him with anyone but a D.A. for a plea deal.

I think if his radio call had been "OMG!! I accidentally shot this kid! Roll medics quick!!" He might just have come out of this with something intact? Maybe not.... Still, it would have been the standup thing, right?

Now we see him arriving, shooting and starting a cover-up..all in less than 2 minutes time. Whoa.... A Jury may well not care to hear what the 3rd, 4th or 5th versions of events are from him, as the first one speaks for itself on outcome ..and the second one is laughably absurd to imagine as having happened.

Self Defense? Talk about a sad knee jerk reaction for an answer ..and doesn't even pass a logic test, I'd think?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:06 AM
link   
self defense?

yeahright.

two officers already on the scene and had the 90lb kid subdued [the situation had calmed]

...and along comes deputy dawg to 'show em how we do dis'

less than two mintues later the kid's dead, and he's crying self defense.

good luck with that 'defense', chief

edit on 1/8/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Seems to me like it's too soon for any of them to be cleared, though it does seem to be SOP to separate yourself from the pack. This article really isn't very detailed at all. Nothing different in the reporting or exposition here other than "two cleared."

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

~Lucidity
Seems to me like it's too soon for any of them to be cleared,

dunno about that.

seems the other two made quick and to the point that they had the situation under control [ calmed] until officer fife arrived on the scene.

wouldn't hesitate a second if in their shoes either.. given what we've been told of the situation thus far. (?)

[ETA]

still have to agree with Wrabbit, in that he [like the BART officer] probably thought he was reaching for his taser instead... Oooooppppssss....

little too big an ooooppps, if you ask me. kid's dead now.

edit on 1/8/2014 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

little too big an ooooppps, if you ask me. kid's dead now.

You got that right.
The anti-gun folks never seem to forget that guns are only for killing people (I don't agree), so a cop ought to know the difference between all of those things that dangle from his belt.

I once had a cop pull me over for a traffic stop and he kept fingering his Taser the whole time. I asked him if I were to be putting my hand on a gun on my belt how he would react.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   
The 2 officers that have been cleared are not part of the death of the victim. That action resides solely with the detective. Based on all available info so far it sounds like Vassey took an action without the other officers knowing what he was doing.

DISCHARGING WEAPONS / DEVICES / TOOLS
Basics 101 - Absent something extraordinary you don't discharge your fire arm in the manner described in the article. Bullets can fail / guns can fail / people can fail. That action not only killed the victim, it created risks for the officers. I have no idea where the parents were standing but if they were in front of the barrel then they were placed in danger as well.

Even tasers fall into the basics 101 category.

SITUATIONAL AWARENESS / OFFICER / 3RD PARTY DAFETY
Im not sure what their training requirements are but generally speaking if the officer was going to discharge his weapon then he should have notified the 2 officers of his intentions before, and not after, the discharge. Same with tasers - you announce it (when possible / appropriate) when there are people in close proximity.

Sometimes none of the above is possible and an officer must act.

QUESTIONS
* - Was Vassey requested to respond by the officer / deputy who had primary jurisdiction. ( I would not put a lot of stock in the jurisdiction definition).

The other thing im curious about (having started my career in a small department in a county with limited resources) is Vassey's presence. Generally I didn't leave my jurisdiction / city unless I was specifically requested to by the other agency. For high priority calls (serious physical injury / death / etc) I would start that way on my own initiative until more info became available.

On those calls I would always defer to the officer who had jurisdiction. Baring something major, I am not going to screw up their call by taking an action on my own, let along stroll in 15 minutes later.

TASERS
* - was Vasset quipped with one?

We need some more info on this part. The article says the victim was tased several times, however it does not say which officer / officers performed that action.

Secondly a lot of agencies have requirements on where a taser is on their dutybelt. Ours require it to be placed on the opposite side of our duty weapon - cross draw. This can prevent the mistake of taser and duty weapon confusion.

Now we get to the hurry up and wait portion of this incident.

Since there are 3 different agencies involved I would say information release on this one will be slower than most we talk about.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

~Lucidity
Seems to me like it's too soon for any of them to be cleared, though it does seem to be SOP to separate yourself from the pack. This article really isn't very detailed at all. Nothing different in the reporting or exposition here other than "two cleared."

Do you think we should merge the threads? If so ill send in the request.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

unfortunately we can no longer 'merge' threads.... since years ago.

your mention of having various weapons holstered in a manner so as to avoid/eliminate 'confusion'.

yeah. that's how it should be for ALL those carrying multiple weapons systems while on duty, or otherwise.

as for 'who tased and when'.... it would seem the nod goes to the two officers already on-scene.... since their radio call(s) suggested/stated ' the situation had calmed' or some such, similar. prior to the detective's arrival.

the 90lb kid was on the ground with two 'arresting officers' on top of him. then within less than two minutes Vance shows up and shoots him dead ..... even shooting between the two assisting officers.

my guess:

he's got a lot of 'splainin to do (??) .... both for the kid's death AND his personal actions throughout.

? self defense ? aint gonna win him no 'support' on this one.

hopefully the inter-agency shuffle doesn't 'preclude' otherwise pertinent evidence from making its way to the jury/ dept heads, etc.

kid dead 1
ruined career/life 1

???

new topics

top topics

join