It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Sexy New Space Suit for Mars Exploration?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Very intresting
cant wait to see what even future space suits will be!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

crazyewok

JadeStar

I like these space suits! I would wear one!

I would but only on mars .

Damed if you would ever get be doing a EVA in space.

I don't think these are envisioned for a vacuum environment.

Something about floating about in a void of infinate nothingness turns my stomach

I find that same thought exhilarating!

edit on 8-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   

JadeStar

I don't think these are envisioned for a vacuum environment.

I guesed as much as you would need a whole layer of temprature control equipment.

JadeStar
I find that same thought exhilarating!

edit on 8-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

Haha each to there own. I would rather have my feet on the ground or at least on a ship

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it "sexy", it's certainly less bulky & more range of motion functional to me. I look forward to hearing more about this over time, it's a big, big step up from the Lego suit we're all used to.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:20 PM
link   

crazyewok

I would but only on mars .

Damed if you would ever get be doing a EVA in space.

Something about floating about in a void of infinate nothingness turns my stomach

Some folks just aren't meant to be space explorers.

Keep in mind the current space suits weight about 300lbs, and regardless the weight reduction factor of microgravity, or lower planetary gravity like the Moon or Mars, mobility is still extremely impacted compared this new model under development.

This new suit would be safer too considering space suits haven't really changed much technologically for near 40 years.

I'd wear one.

If they weren't too pricey and the environmental management as far as thermal control systems were already in place I'd buy one simply to have an excuse to walk across a desert in thermally regulated air-conditioned personal spacesuit comfort, or the same with a visit to any sufficiently cold winter environments where I'd be toasty spacesuit warm.

Sure I might look like a total dork walking around in a spacesuit on Earth, but, my chances of going even LEO any time in the next 100 years aren't that high, and there's extreme environments on Earth that I think would be a blast to explore in the comfort of complete thermally regulated comfort.

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 01:01 AM
link   
The best thing about these new space suits is the amount of mobility. The martian colonists, explorers, etc will need a much larger degree of movement on the Mars surface than the Apollo astronauts did on the moon.

One big problem on Mars is dust. The more complex the space suit (think of the suits they wore on the moon with the hard joints etc) the more apt it is to have dust become a problem.

Mars dust is very fine and gets in EVERYTHING so these space suits beyond just looking very chic are also dealing with one of the things the Mars environment presents us with which could have been a problem with traditional space suit designs.

Thank you so much Alice for posting this thread. Star and flag for sure.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Ohhh, why I was under impression that Kate Upton latest photo shoot had something to do with space....

www.dailymail.co.uk...

BTW, that suit on OP topic really looks good and very advanced compared to current suits.

posted on Feb, 19 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Will the Martian suits have an appendage to allow men to pee onto martian rocks? They had one for Antarctica exploration, in order to prevent their willies from freezing.

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:11 PM
link   

wildespace
Will the Martian suits have an appendage to allow men to pee onto martian rocks? They had one for Antarctica exploration, in order to prevent their willies from freezing.

Not if they still want to survive. There's the not so small matter of three things: 1) very low atmospheric pressure, 2) lack of breathable air and 3) temperatures often far below the coldest antarctic night.

MINA....Mars Is Not Antarctica

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:14 PM
link   

wildespace

Im guessing the sexy new space suit will still be stuck with the not so sexy space Diaper

posted on Feb, 20 2014 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I'd like to see them try it out by testing in on something challenging. Like climbing Mt. Everest. See how well it does in a cold, thin-air climate.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 1   >>

join