It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Moon affects the Earth’s climate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:18 AM
link   
Does the Moon affect the Earth’s Climate ?

The Sun is the main driver of the Earth’s climate .. but the Moon affects the Earth’s climate as well

The Moon is the principal cause of the ocean tides...the Moon also can generate gravitational tides within the atmosphere ....

what effects should we expect to see upon the climate::

During the lunar month there are 2 so-called spring tides when the Moon and Sun align so their tidal effects sum up. The above hypothesis would imply more stormy rainy weather with the spring tides. Another effect is the precession of the lunar orbit with a timescale of about 18 years. This actually changes the inclination of the Moon in the sky, effectively moving the tidal bulge to a more or less northerly position.

this is interesting ,,given that the current cold spell is occurring during this time "New Moon" and the last time temperatures got this cold has been nearly 20 years

A lunar nodal cycle in all time-series indicates that there is a forced Arctic oscillating system controlled by the pull of gravity from the moon, a system that influences long-term fluctuations in the extent of Arctic ice.

The influence of the lunar nodal cycle on Arctic climate

there is also evidence that the new crop of sun spots occurring also has a relationship

Apparent relations between solar magnetic cycle, lunar nodal cycle, and ocean surface temperature

edit on 8-1-2014 by Blowback because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Blowback

Welcome to our planet sir!

As Earthling's, we are taught what you just learned in something we call school. Usually this knowledge is gained in 5th or 6th grade(10-12 yr old) on our planet..

Not all inhabitants of this planet are as friendly as myself, but I would gladly help you with some other questions you may have about our home. Maybe you wish to know why the sky is blue(except for the obvious chemtrails) or why the grass is green?

Once again, welcome to our planet and please enjoy your stay!
edit on 8-1-2014 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by freedom12

so Al Gore never learned about it at school?...that climate chances ALL the time? hihi

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:52 AM
link   

freedom12

Welcome to our planet sir!

As Earthling's, we are taught what you just learned in something we call school. Usually this knowledge is gained in 5th or 6th grade(10-12 yr old) on our planet..

Not all inhabitants of this planet are as friendly as myself, but I would gladly help you with some other questions you may have about our home. Maybe you wish to know why the sky is blue(except for the obvious chemtrails) or why the grass is green?

Once again, welcome to our planet and please enjoy your stay!
edit on 8-1-2014 by freedom12 because: (no reason given)

I knew the moon is responsible for tides but not weather, i guess i'm glad to arrive to your planet too earthling

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:04 AM
link   

S, you beat me to it!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a "refresher" never hurt anyone. Given the latest polar drama, this is relevant but mostly forgotten by people 40 yrs out of school.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Nice post OP S&F

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Exactly what parts of the OP did you learn in Elementary School? It's been a very long time since I was in the 5th grade, so the curriculum must have advanced considerably. In the 5th grade, I remember that I learned about the Moon's effects on spring tides. I'm pretty sure that I was in High School before I learned anything about the 18.6-year lunar nodal cycle.

The paper "The influence of the lunar nodal cycle on Arctic climate," was published in the ICES Journal of Marine Science in 2006. The author used "wavelet transformation to identify the period and the phase in these Arctic time-series." I assume that you must have gone to one heck of an advanced Elementary school to have been using wavelet transforms on time-series data.

Dex

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:11 AM
link   
I think the idea has been debated for a while now...

The Moon and the Weather

1935 E.G. Hogg

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:20 AM
link   

Thanks Blowback for providing an interesting new perspective on this most recent Polar Vortex phenomena. S&F!

I remember the winter weather about 20 years ago. As I recall, there was so much ice on my front porch and steps that I used a piece of cardboard to slide down the hill to get to my car to go to work. It must have been a humorous site to see a grown man in a suit and tie attempt to ride a piece of cardboard down a hill.

I've bookmarked the articles that you reference and downloaded a couple of related PDFs. I don't have anything useful to add to the thread at this point. Once I've had a chance to digest this information, I may be able to make a few salient comments about these new theories.

Dex

new topics

top topics

join