United States sending more troops and tanks to South Korea

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:18 AM
link   
United States sending more troops and tanks to South Korea

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States said on Tuesday it will send 800 more soldiers and about 40 Abrams main battle tanks and other armored vehicles to South Korea next month as part of a military rebalance to East Asia after more than a decade of war in Afghanistan and Iraq.

The battalion of troops and M1A2 tanks and about 40 Bradley fighting vehicles from the 1st U.S. Cavalry Division based at Fort Hood, Texas, will begin a nine-month deployment in South Korea on February 1.

A Pentagon spokesman said the personnel would remain for nine months but on departing would leave their equipment behind to be used by follow-on rotations of U.S. forces.

"This addition of forces to Korea is part of the rebalance to the Pacific. It's been long planned and is part of our enduring commitment to security on the Korean peninsula," Army Colonel Steve Warren said.

Then there is this -
North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un's Aunt May Be Dead: Report

Less than a month after North Korean leader Kim Jong Un executed his uncle Jang Song Thaek, reports are now circulating that his aunt, Jang’s wife, has died.

Chosun Ilbo, a major newspaper in South Korea, reported that Kim Kyong Hui, 67, has either "committed suicide or died from a heart attack" according to a South Korean government source. The newspaper said that South Korean intelligence sources have yet to confirm her death.

North Korea's Kim Jong Un lauds purge of executed uncle Jang Song Thaek

(CNN) -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Wednesday praised the recent purge of his uncle and former protector, saying it brought greater unity within the secretive, nuclear-armed state.

"In the seething period of the effort for building a thriving country last year, we took the resolute measure of removing the factionalists lurking in the Party," Kim said in a New Year's address, referring to the North's ruling Workers' Party of Korea.

"As our Party detected and purged the anti-Party, counterrevolutionary factionalists at an opportune time and with a correct decision, the Party and revolutionary ranks were further consolidated and our single-hearted unity was solidified to the maximum," Kim said, according to the text of the speech carried by North Korean state media.

Relations with China are in the tube as his uncle was the go between. There were reports the uncle might have been executed over a new pending nuke test. China has warned North Korea about doing another one, and throughout 2013 has increase their military presence on the border. Supposedly the uncle argued with Un over the test, citing the Chinese position. Since China is one of their few allies, pissing them off is going to cause more trouble with N. Korea.

North Korea 'preparing to carry out new nuclear test'

North Koreans pledged their allegiance to Kim Jong-un on Tuesday, the second anniversary of the death of his father, as South Korea warned Pyongyang could be preparing to carry out a fourth nuclear test and launch a long-range rocket.

Cho Won-jin, a senior member of South Korea's parliamentary intelligence committee and the ruling Saenuri Party, said on Tuesday that the North is attempting to shift the attention of its citizens away from the execution of Jang Song-thaek, his uncle and mentor, and to play up external threats to the nation.

A new nuclear test and the successful launch of a rocket would also serve to enhance the image and prestige of the young dictator as the nation marks two years since Kim Jong-il's sudden death.

North Korea has already conducted three underground nuclear tests, the most recent in February. Analysts believe that nuclear engineers attempting to miniaturise a warhead so that it can be fitted to a ballistic missile have made good progress in the last 12 months, but still need to carry out at least one more test.

North Korea threatens to strike South 'without notice,' sends warning via fax

North Korea has threatened to attack South Korea "without notice" in response to demonstrations held in the South to mark the anniversary of its former leader's death.

South Korea’s Defense Ministry said a letter from the North’s National Defense Commission was faxed early Thursday via a military communication link between the two sides, warning of a "merciless" attack on the South, The Wall Street Journal reported Friday.

The letter objected to the "repeated extra-large provocations to North Korea's highest dignity taking place in the middle of Seoul" and threatened "a merciless retaliation without warning," ministry spokesman Kim Min-seok told the newspaper.

South Korea issues stern warning to North Korea

SEOUL: South Korea’s president on Tuesday warned Seoul would react “mercilessly to any provocations” from the North, describing the situation over the border as “ominous” as she visited a frontline guard post.

Seoul and Washington have been increasingly concerned over the stability of the North Korean regime following the execution two weeks ago of Jang Song-Thaek, a high-level official and uncle of young leader Kim Jong-Un.

“The security situation on the Korean peninsula is very grave. North Korea’s internal situation is ominous, raising concerns about provocations,” said South Korean President Park Geun-Hye, wearing a military uniform on her first visit to the tense border since taking office in February.

“We should react sternly and mercilessly to any provocations by North Korea,” she said, calling for “watertight security readiness.”

Her warning came as Kim, flanked by senior military officials, visited the mausoleum of his late father in Pyongyang to pay his respects on an important anniversary.

Kim visited the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, which houses the embalmed bodies of his late father and grandfather, the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

As always, we are one bad bottle of tequila away from a continuation of the war on the Korean peninsula. The links above go back to summer of 2013. We can see the buildup of where this might be going. If he went so far as to execute his uncle, coupled with his age, I think we are witnessing the end of north Korea. I think Un has decided he has something to prove to the world and is going down that road of making the attempt.

While the North Korean people seemed indifferent or supportive of the execution, they apparently hold his aunt in high regard. The reports of her death, which is not yet confirmed, bounce between suicide, a medical issue from failing health, ot a heart attack which was possibly brought on by the uncles execution.

I am wondering if China, S. Korea and the US are contemplating action against the north in order to head off a disaster.
edit on 8-1-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:26 AM
link   
1st Cav ,me old alma mater. They are agmenting alright.Ist Cav usually is the army's heavy QRF unless they've changed something.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

cavtrooper7
1st Cav ,me old alma mater. They are agmenting alright.Ist Cav usually is the army's heavy QRF unless they've changed something.

I was wondering.. Of all the North Korea news over the last few years this is the first time vie seen them send tanks over. There has been a lot of talk about north Korean provocation, which apparently can happen if you sneeze the wrong way with him.

He was possibly drunk when the uncle was executed. Not a good sign when it comes to common sense, especially when nukes are involved... I really do think Un is stupid enough to use them. That nation is so bass akwards that Un probably believes he is invincible.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Let's hope that a further Nuke test by North Korea does not happen.
It looks as though China is beginning to lose patience with them over the prospect, could lead to an interesting alliance though?
I don't really believe the Chinese would pick a full-on scrap with the US of A as you owe them too much money...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Shuftystick

I think China is beyond pissed with N. Korea... The Chinese people are openly calling for their government to cut / modify their relationship. Its amazing how alliances can change when one of those allies has managed to bring their country to the 21st century while N. Korea is stuck in the 50's.

since Chinese media is state run it would suggest the Chinese government agrees with her people.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

North Korea threatens to strike South 'without notice,' sends warning via fax

This headline kills me. "We are warning you we will attack you without warning!"

If you look throughout history, many times a sheltered royal heir can turn really mad once in power. Like Cambyses II… Cyrus did all the hard work conquering everything and Camby was just busy killing off his brothers and marrying all his sisters, then killing them for criticizing the sibling-cide.

Swell fellow!

Too bad Un didn't just follow that motif, oh wait…

Has he married a sister yet?

Sometimes it's worrying what a person like that can do, with the types of stuff they may be able to get their hands on. Or what reality they actually live in. People must be scared witless to challenge him, and someone unchallenged often becomes a raving lunatic.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

He was possibly drunk when the uncle was executed. Not a good sign when it comes to common sense, especially when nukes are involved... I really do think Un is stupid enough to use them. That nation is so bass akwards that Un probably believes he is invincible.

I just wonder how deep the loyalty and nationalist conviction goes. As in, would the higher ups actually be willing to wage war or invade SK on the whim of Un, or would they find a dagger to plunge into his kidneys? Most of them are sycophants simply because of the rewards of having a top commission. And then there's fear too…

I think you mentioned NK is like a country living in the 50s…

Which makes you think about the state of the world just a few years earlier.
edit on 8-1-2014 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:45 AM
link   
Bear in mind we only know what we are told from a media that is compromised and mostly always has been.I patrolled the DMZ and married a bipolar bargirl in 86. Trust is not something so easily given after what we have found out was done in our name,some of which I DID as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I cant wait for North Korea to step out of line honestly...our response will be overwhelming and utterly devastating. Boy I hope I can enlist and train up before this happens, I wanna be there exacting some justice on them commies!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:36 AM
link   
If Kim had more nukes that could be launched on missiles I have no doubt he would use them at first chance. NK does have nuke capability but no decisive means to deliver them yet. I have no doubt there will be war there again in my life time.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I think that 'lil Kim is starting to grasp at straws. He's alienating his allies and pissing off the rest of the world. And knows his jig is up before to long.

I think this idiot will start a war before to long, all the while saying others started it.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by 8fl0z

If it does you may be drafted. Korea is very hilly start running to get into shape and take a combat martial arts course.
Systema, Krav Maga are a good idea and of course practice your marksmanship.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 06:50 AM
link   

cavtrooper7
reply to post by 8fl0z

If it does you may be drafted. Korea is very hilly start running to get into shape and take a combat martial arts course.
Systema, Krav Maga are a good idea and of course practice your marksmanship.

You forgot to add that he is going to be ordered around like a peon.

Everybody starts at the bottom in the military, whether officer or enlisted.

Personally, If I had this guy in my Det, I would probably have him transferred. If not Psych eval'ed.

Video gamers need not apply when it comes to runnin' and gunnin' in real life.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:02 AM
link   

boncho
This headline kills me. "We are warning you we will attack you without warning!"

Yeah it sounds goofy.

North Korea does their sharks and jets routine in order to scare / force others nations to send them money / food / etc etc. Their nuke program is a prime example... They have constructed it, put it in operation, shut it down, rebuilt it etc all inorder to get the aid. They also have consistently saber rattled, threatening surrounding nations with annihilation.

Un is unstable... Nothing like be unstable with your hand on the nuke controls.

If he continues with the purges in the military I could see the military turn on him and seize control of the government themselves.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Xcathdra
If he continues with the purges in the military I could see the military turn on him and seize control of the government themselves.

This could a good thing for once.

A military coup de tat to prevent a war.

How ironic that would be?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Well Obama and Biden did spend the last half of 2012 saying military strategic focus would be the West Pacific and China.

He's working real hard on getting us into a war we cannot win, for how he's setting us up to lose ....but what can we do? I hope China realizes the moves this is likely just starting for a series of is NOT what the American PEOPLE want. It's what a couple madmen at the top want and are determined to see happen.

40 tanks? What is the point of this, aside from peeing in Kim's Cheerios? They will make ZERO difference in that theater for the brutal, all out kill or die that war would be in a 24-48hr period of total madness ...but they will be VERY effective in raising tensions for absolutely NO other good reason.

How about..WE WANT OUR MEN HOME!?! ...and that includes the speed bump force absurdly sitting in the ROK, waiting to me run over when idiots like Kerry miscalculate just one time too many.

I guess this is what happens when they run out of Arabs to fight and Iran won't play... It's off to find Asians again. Re-runs of history and some people can't help but play a sequel.

Oh...I'd give anything for a strategic resignation before this show gets any further along.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:18 AM
link   

TDawgRex
This could a good thing for once.

Im not so sure.. The military taking control is the final step in that process. Before you can get to that level, someone will have to come out as the winner over the factions in the military. We have seen this thru the purging of aids. Not to mention if you go and watch their propaganda, you will see the various people around him (military / generals) have been demoted / promoted, removed only to be reinstated, re-promoted etc etc etc

Un has ethics that would raise eyebrows in the Court of Caligula...

He reminds me of the "Brazen Bull", which was made by Perillus (back in the day - 550 BC +/-. It was made out of metal and was designed to put a person inside of it and lock it up so they cant get out. They would then start a fire underneath the bull, and as the heat / temp goes up, the person inside will start screaming. The screams would come out of the bull as high pitched sound (like a bull call from what ive read).

In the end, Perillus was overthrown and was executed by the the very bull he created.

TDawgRex
A military coup de tat to prevent a war.

In another thread I posed the question - Should Un be taken out via assassination in order to prevent him from starting a war that may very well go nuclear? Or should be leave it alone as we are doing now and hope for the best?

TDawgRex
How ironic that would be?

I would call it poetic justice...

However, as for Obama -

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:35 AM
link   

TDawgRex
I think that 'lil Kim is starting to grasp at straws. He's alienating his allies and pissing off the rest of the world. And knows his jig is up before to long.

I think this idiot will start a war before to long, all the while saying others started it.

I wouldn't dismiss how powerful being delusional can be.

Being constantly surrounded by 'Yes' men 24/7 is intoxicating from what I've read.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Being constantly surrounded by 'Yes' men 24/7 is intoxicating from what I've read.

You mean Kim or Obama?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:39 AM
link   

SLAYER69

TDawgRex

I wouldn't dismiss how powerful being delusional can be.

I myself never could stand ass-kissers. I tend to like people who think for themselves even though I might not agree with them.

I guess I'm safe from the delusional side of things. Kim on the other hand...I'm not so sure.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join