It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Hello ats! I've been in a typing mood as of late and with my surge of interest in politics, I figure I would write out a list of things I think should be implemented or taken away from our current system. This is not in any order, just random things on my mind.
1. The education system should be completely revamped from 6th grade on...
2. The FDA should have representatives the people vote for
3. The states should have much, much more power than they have right now. While I realize you cannot give them too much power, I believe a state should have a lot more say on what happens with their land, and their social/economic issues. This would serve to allow States to choose as they'd like when it comes to issues such as marriage rights, or unemployment. I realize some rules and regulations have to apply across the board, but believe different areas have different concerns that cannot be met by a one size fits all approach.
5. Presidential elections should be changed on many levels, I believe today's technology could help in this advancement. Being able to vote for someone whom actually has the same ideals as citizens is tough, but I believe through the use of the Internet, a larger pool of candidates could be taken through phases, eventually leading up to the lower amount we vote on now days. I believe through social media, online forums, and basically candidate profiles, we could get a better and wider selection of who we could vote on, which would include a lot of much needed options, such as candidates that don't get attention simply because they throw millions into campaigning.
6. Congressman, senators, and judges need to be from the people, for the people. The bad side of rich, elite, greedy, and morally deficit should not be in the lead of our country, and while many people say it is on the citizens to blame, I have never been properly introduced to a way to peacefully remove these men from office and start a new, or the proper ways require far too much effort for a nation controlled by the government to do something about. I believe that once again technology, and education could help citizens see more options, and choose better who they want to represent them.
7. Taxes should be more of a percentage, less based on income.
Thank you for your reply! I thought this thread would have no replies.
While you did bring up a good point, why did I not bring up the other groups/programs/agencies etc, the FDA is something I feel more passionate about than the others.
The FDA controls what manufacturers allow to put in foods ( sometimes unlabeled ) they could get rid of unknown/possibly harmful practices such as GMO...
I believe there should be a much wider pool of candidates to choose from, and people should get a real view of who they want to vote for, etc. I believe better education could help with these decisions, and I believe technology could help spread people that could/should be voted in without said candidate spending millions in campaigning, traveling, or throwing money towards any agenda to get votes.
Why on earth do we have to choose from two different devils? I believe if the position of president were open to more people, and these candidates had more of a fair playing field, we could come up with someone the people actually like. Rather than what it is currently, where the least hated/despised/feared/etc gets voted in.
I believe judges/senators/congress should have limited terms, maybe not as short as the president, but definitely not lifetime careers doing that either.
Second, how easy is it to replace every corrupt/not for the people- member of senate and congress? Especially right now where the approval rate is, what, ~10%?
Percentage based, and the same percentage for everyone. My taxes, at below poverty level are around 18% of my check, my employer, being a small business, I have been told is closer to 40-50% ( cannot verify ) and another thing I cannot verify is tax loop holes, etc making fortune 500 companies have a lower tax percentage than myself.
I just mean the SAME percentage, everyone gets taxed 20% regardless of what they make. I would want this to apply with an America that's CHALKED FULL of small businesses, not the current situation. Some restrictions would apply, but the 20% for all would further encourage small business, because right now, if the 40-50% numbers are indeed true, we are discouraging small business.