It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surprise! Walmart health plan is cheaper, offers more coverage than Obamacare

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:49 PM
link   
WHAT?

Yes that's what it says and apparently it's true.

Walmart's employee plans are cheaper and seem to have lower deductibles and they have "Access To" more hospitals and doctors.

Now they tell us !!!

Maybe Walmart should have been the exchange site !!!

Walmart health plan is cheaper, offers more coverage than Obamacare

New Obamacare health insurance enrollees may feel a pang of envy when they eye the coverage plans offered by Walmart to its employees.

For many years, the giant discount retailer has been the target of unions and liberal activists who have harshly criticized the company's health care plans, calling them “notorious for failing to provide health benefits” and "substandard.”

But a Washington Examiner comparison of the two health insurance programs found that Walmart's plan is more affordable and provides significantly better access to high-quality medical care than Obamacare.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Interesting , I thought their benefits was primarily based on gov't assistance if you weren't an executive?

www.dailykos.com...

Wal-Mart's poverty wages force employees to rely on $2.66 billion in government help every year, or about $420,000 per store. In state after state, Wal-Mart employees are the top recipients of Medicaid. As many as 80 percent of workers in Wal-Mart stores use food stamps.

edit on 7-1-2014 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

www.forbes.com...

As a result, it has long been left to the taxpayer to provide healthcare and other subsidized benefits to the many Wal-Mart employees who are dependent on Medicaid, food stamp programs and subsidized housing in order to keep their families from going under.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

I've seen that too.

This Walmart deal must be for the full timers and some part timers who can afford it.

It will be interesting to see what they do when they are forced to cover all people over 30 hours.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

I would like to get my hands on the actual study to see how they came up with the results.

Something doesn't appear right to me here even though I'm no fan of Obamacare.

Regardless its not a good place to be as a taxpayer between these two behemoths (Super Corp versus Super Gov't )

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

And WalMart's website even works so that puts them 2 - 0 over the government.

I haven't looked at their plans but having so many (part time) employees probably got them a good deal. Or do they self insure?

Now if they only paid enough so their employees could actually afford to buy the plans things would be good. I mean buy the plans and be able to eat during the same month without food stamps.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Bassago

Yeah I vote for giving them the money to pay for it in the first place also. I certainly don't mind paying a bit extra for goods so people will have the money to um live...

The problem is that Obama should have increased the minimum wage 5 years ago. But now suddenly he wants to do it to compensate for Obamacare costs. Well, I have news for him, the economy can't handle it right now. You can't throw Obamacare costs and a minimum wage increase at businesses at the same time. He will destroy them and our economy. I think it is about time he stops playing robin hood with everyone else's money. I can't take anymore stupidity. Breath El, breath...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Well I work at Walmart and im a nobody, im not management or in good with anyone. Im going to college and was looking for a part time job, I was hired as an unloaded/recurve at 19.00 an hour for 33 hours a week considered fulltime so I can get benefits. They worked with my school schedule so I work 2am to 2pm on Sat Sun Mon.
I may not agree with all there policies and procedures but giving unskilled people jobs at minimum wage( and im sure most of you have experienced the service they provide, definitely worthy of minimum wage). where I work is SO strict we must maintain 95% production and 99.8% accuracy.
On the other hand their hiring process was like an indoctrination into the SS. But I do get a decent paycheck and GREAT benefits.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by iwontrun

Great job at sacrificing today and taking advantage of your existing options to place yourself at a better negotiating spot in the future.

Raising the minimum wage is a political move and only helps the MAN in the long run.
Hypothetically, today business makes 30% profit but tomorrow they incur a 5% increase on labor costs. Surviving Businesses aren't typically charitable in the long run when it comes to operating costs , so they pass that 5% increase to the consumers.

The kicker is that Business are also aware that consumers don't like to see prices go up , so they take advantage of an opportunity and skew the numbers a bit. So while the 5% is the actual increase in operating costs the consumer will most likely see a 5.5% or 6% increase.

So the results are
1. The minimum wage employee makes more money, but lost a .5% to 1% in buying power.

2. The middleman lost the most, because he did not get the mandatory pay increase so he loses the full 5.5 to 6% increase.

3. The man gained a .5% to 1% bonus

So the problem with minimum wage , Obamacare and other gov't programs is they are tools used by the gov't to obfuscate the real intentions or propaganda.

The gov't along with the media has become the lobbyist used car salesman and they give you a bait and switch or sell you a lemon.

edit on 8-1-2014 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Evil Walmart and their evil ways. Making 0bama look like an idiot.

It has to be that Walmart is racist. Has to be.

I bet that the Health Care is made from baby bones and GOP sacrificed virgins with Dick Cheney at the alter praying to the Bush family.

Not surprised.

Locally, Walmart pays $16 an hour. That is pretty good for low/no skill work.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Wal Mart like all other starter positions should be at the beginning of your career path. If you have 3 kids to support you need to look at your priorites making babys should come after a job to take care of them. People should quit whining.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Insurance through your employer is ALWAYS going to be cheaper, as they pay a portion of the monthly premium.

I get it that you have an axe to grind on the ACA, and that's fine, but paying for an individual insurance policy, outside of any plan offered by your employer, has always been more expensive. For example, I have BC/BS. I pay approximately $280 a month for family coverage, and my employer pays the rest of the premium. If I were to go get the same BC/BS insurance for my family as an individual, this year or any past year, and that monthly premium would be (or have been) $700-800 a month.

So, of course Walmart offers insurance at a cheaper rate than the ACA. Although my past experience with retail is that the insurance offered is pretty crappy.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by iwontrun

Wal Mart pays you nineteen ($19) dollars an hour?! What do you do there?

I've been in law enforcement for 10 years, have a degree and I make less then that.
for you
for me

I may need to put in an application.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by macman

I'd love to see that proof.

The average wage for Walmart associates:

Cashier: $8.51
Overnight Stocker: $9.63
Customer Service Associate: $9.23

I'm not saying that there isn't potential for one to make $17 an hour, but the vast majority of Walmart employees make less than $25,000 a year, so I don't believe that your particular Walmart is bucking the trend...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

That and the fact that the majority of their work force are only 'part-time' [Never scheduled with enough hours even though many of those 'part-time' employes would love to work more] and don't qualify for the superior 'Coverage'
edit on 8-1-2014 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Well don't worry. When the employer mandate kicks in, Walmart will likely drop its plans just like most other employers and everyone will be equally screwed. Then, we can all be miserable together. You all have one more year to gripe about this inequality, comrades. /sarc

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

I guess you will just have to take my word for it.

There is a couple that lives down the street, where both are night workers and make around $17 an hour each.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:20 PM
link   

you know what the whole obamacare thing should be set up like Bc Care. Where you only pay $50 and that covers all your basic medical. Then you are able to additional coverage from another company, which you can look around to find good rates.
Here in canada you can have two insurance plans and still not spend as much as the lowest price of obamacare. I really feel for all americans because you are getting raped hard by your government, sort of like how your government rapes the rest of the world.

If the creators of obamacare did any research they could have realized that there are so many better examples of universal health care. What most Americans don't realize is that we DO pay for our healthcare, its not free here in Canada.

theres 300+ million americans times that by $50, that would be what around 15 billion dollars? That should be enough money for a reletively good universal healthcare system. It works here so it should work there.

There are always better solutions to the problems, it just doesnt have to cost people an arm and a leg.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Wait......This actually surprises you?

What did you expect a zero co-payment and 100% coverage in and out of network with Obamacare??

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TorqueyThePig

I just unload trucks and receive freight at a distribution center. I was just as surprised when they offered me the job. Then I found out that the order fillers get 21.00 and can get up to 27.00 with production incentives!

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

Yes, you are correct. Wal-mart has eliminated the middleman and the warehousing is done at the store. We get product in and it's out the otherside on it's way to stores
In about 12 to 18 hours.
Scary thing to me is if logistics stops the supply chain is empty in 24 to 36 hours.
edit on 1/8/2014 by iwontrun because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join