It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Olympic response team: Security firm ready in wings

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   

A private crisis-response firm assisting the U.S. ski and snowboard teams for the Winter Olympic Games in Russia has up to five aircraft on standby in the event that medical or security emergencies require an evacuation from Sochi.

The extraordinary preparations are in response to what Global Rescue CEO Dan Richards describes as the "unique challenge'' represented in part by Olympic venues located in the shadow of a terrorist battleground.

Olympic response team: Security firm ready in wings

First, it sounds like this particular company has been working with the US Olympic team since 2006, so the idea that a private security firm is involved in keeping our athletes safe with an extra layer of protection isn't as shocking as it might seem at first. What I find interesting though is that this extra security and evacuation plan is apparently only for the ski and snowboarding teams because they have "high profile" athletes (in other words the names). I guess if you're the US Curling or Toboggan teams, you're SOL if the SHTF and your team didn't do anything special above and beyond what is normally done and what the Russians provide.

USA Hockey spokesman Dave Fischer declined to discuss the team's security plan and the involvement of private security, though he maintained that the safety of the team is "the first priority.''

"We have utilized various tactics over the course of history,'' Fischer said. "Private security absolutely is a tactic.''

I guess with the pro athletes, you can't be too careful, either. It sort of sounds like they have their own security arrangements, too.

They also seem to be worried about Sochi more than most, but with all the corruption that has gone along with the Olympics so far. That's not surprising. And it gets more worrisome with the two recent bombings in Russia.

"Our advance preparations are dramatically enhanced for Sochi, particularly considering planning for potential mass evacuation involving dozens or hundreds of people,'' he said. "Our medical evacuation, in contrast, is typically (for) just one or a few people.''

Yikes!
edit on 1/7/2014 by tothetenthpower because: --Mod Edit--Fixed URL.

edit on 7-1-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   
An extra lawyer of protection?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Cows11

I'd blow a raspberry at myself, but I'm not sure how.

Oh, well, proof that spell check doesn't always catch everything, and that when you read what you wrote back to yourself, your brain often tends to insert what you meant to write rather than what is actually there.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
I hate to say this because it may very well become true. Something bad is going to happen at the games. I would not take a free ticket if you gave it to me. Russia is simply too corrupt to imagine it being difficult to get stuff by security.

I sure hope I am wrong.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Pity this lot were not looking after the Libyan Embassy.

Statement not joke or cynicism.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

That would almost be a blessing in disguise for the long term. It would be horrible and I don't wish it for the short term.... However, Vladimir Putin would make Bush look like a bawling baby for vengeance after a MAJOR national attack like 9/11.

If the terrorists hid in a foreign embassy, Putin wouldn't even play at saying it was a mistake. He'd just level it. If they dispersed in a village? Well, Putin was a KGB Officer during the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan ....the whole village would just be erased. Nowhere on this planet would be far enough or deep enough to hide for anyone, to the last person, who had anything to do with it.

I think, honestly, Russian fury, if it comes to pass, will make Israel's response to Munich look limited and very slow.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

A pissed off Putin is not a good thing. Chechnya would be in deep poo. Unfortunately I doubt that Chechen Terrorists would give just about anything to pull of another Munich. Humans are incredibly stupid as a whole. Granted there are exceptions, although among terrorists there are not as many.

I am still trying to figure out why both the summer and the winter Olympics are being held in places that are clearly not safe for the athletes. A gold medal is worth a ton of money in endorsements (for the big events) so for some I am sure it is worth the risk. If I was on the badminton or curling teams I might take a pass this year.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

You need to get out of California, people ARE NOT stupid. A few are but most ,nope. They are just as intelligent as You and I but life gets in the way and there you go...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cavtrooper7

Maybe I should hit up that town Honey boo boo lives in.

Oh and WTF is mnky for this stupid emoticon? No idea, but it looks cool.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Mamatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Mamatus
I hate to say this because it may very well become true. Something bad is going to happen at the games. I would not take a free ticket if you gave it to me. Russia is simply too corrupt to imagine it being difficult to get stuff by security.

I sure hope I am wrong.

You get that feeling too, huh?

I think Volvograd was just the start and of course, the people responsible will view the Olympics as a great opportunity to cause more mayhem and carnage.

If anything does happen, then Russia will more than likely retaliate in some form. Let's hope they do it wisely and not like some other country, who destroyed another country because of one terrorist attack, which I think is a bit much and didn't really achieve anything other than quench a thirst for bloodlust and make some rich people a whole lot more richer.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Just keep your eyes peeled for the next month. Deaths on both sides will escalate dramatically. Which makes me wonder what the northern caucasus rats are planning next. All that hub but over xmas and new years yet nothing recently. Putin has known about this problem for quite some time and it's something they've been fighting with renewed force since the beginning of the 21st century. The only difference now is the recent events and ones that will soon occur will give Putin incentive to create more of these special task force units. It is also logical to assume that the aid extended to Syria will double or at least liven up as they are indirectly associated with the miscreants in Russia/Northern Caucasus. Either way muslims will die and that's all that matters.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Let us the rest non champions pray that we are lucky to avoid wrongdoings in this new globalisation war era.... since we get no planes to hush us away from harmsway

new topics

top topics

join