It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pretend for a Second that You Are Very Intelligent

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by HyphenSt1

Pretend? Do we have to pretend?

My mummy said that I'm very clever.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

IkNOwSTuff
That was not music and actually made me feel ill

I wish I had of read your post first because after hearing that I would not be able to take anything you said seriously

Nor should you.

edit on 7-1-2014 by DeadSeraph because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:18 PM
link   

I didn't like the music, but I get what you are saying. I actually don't think you will ever see most people taking you up on your offer of trying and creating a better world based on whatever they want it to be. It's way easier to let it all burn because heck I bet we can keep it going until after I am gone.

This is the easiest time ever to go on your own road and become who you want to be, but it's also the easiest time ever to stay on the path more traveled.

I mean what do you expect? The majority of people are lazy, and we got that way from overabundance of food and energy. I think it probably works like a sine wave. Just a cycle that we go through. We work hard and acomplish so much that our kids don't need to change anything and the stagnation starts. It will continue until it no longer works (sometime soon). Then we start working at it again.

As for me I am doing my own thing and I spend a lot of my time learning. Havn't found what I want to do yet with my life, but to be honest I don't want to do anything except maybe spread ideas. I enjoy the peace of mind that comes from not doing much. I like being chill while contemplating existence. This is my path.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

care to point out some good alternatives

I think you outlined why many people are not able to enjoy music which falls outside of an established genre or nostalgia.

Which is perfectly okay!

I certainly don't think R Stevie Moore is revolutionizing the entire world of music, but despite your dislike of it, he has thousands of fans and I think that speaks for itself. are you aware of The Locust, Genghis Tron, The Melvins, or Sleepytime Gorilla Museum? I'm sure you'd puke if you delved into their discography, but they are very successful, professional bands, and put more care into their music, than all of the top 40 combined. I don't listen to music for popularity or "prettiness", I'm merely wondering why many of these artists don't get included in the history of music if their music was truly "bad" or "harmless"..

Even Frank Zappa (one of the most popular Avant-Garde musicians in history) is rarely discussed or studied, and this seems bizarre to me.

When I go on this site and look through the music forum, I mostly see people who are still fixated on bands who have their t-shirts sold in the mall and their music played on the "mix everything together" radio stations... The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, Rolling Stones, The Who, Pink Floyd, Journey, AC/DC, etc etc... these bands (more often than not) sound like complete watered-down crap to ME, but the funny thing is that i don't go out of my way to condemn these people either.. They just aren't worth the time! so i do find it interesting that the song i posted at least evoked a reaction out of people, enough to where they felt obligated to speak-out against it! haha..

I usually can appreciate ASPECTS of songs in the popular arena, but hardly ever the entire song itself.. so i think to myself.. what's the point?

why are people (especially in this generation) insistent on only focusing on the music that has been heard over and over and over and over and over and over (and then re-released and included on greatest hits) over and over and over...? perhaps comfort is motivating listening to the music in the first place, rather than inspiration..?

From my point of view, R. Stevie Moore has many different sounds and experiments and knowing this was enough to get my attention. once I looked into his music further, I found something which I don't hear in the work of most other artists: sincerity.

If that's not valuable to you, then i have no interest in persuading you or explaining why it is valuable to me..
I just see one of us getting enjoyment out of it, while the other makes a point of showing how much "pain" it causes them haha..

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

I appreciate your honest and objective response!

I feel the same way about my direction, and figure that "my path" is dependent on where I am at any given time.. definition and stubborn-ness can only result in ignorance and the limitation of what is available to be experienced..

I agree that it seems the majority of people are content with laziness and being led, but I also think that if those of us who are aware of this fact, try to spin Innovation as being "the hip way to be", then they could change things in spite of themselves haha. who knows.

the only different i see between my point-of-view and some of the folks in this thread, posting memes in hopes to somehow illustrate their "point" haha.
(very intelligent fellas
South Park is where i go for MY wit.. oh wait, it's a show that the retarded people that i work with find incredibly entertaining and is one of the only shows they follow.. what's that tell ya..?)

I can only hope to put ideas out there and hope to learn something from those gracious enough to humor the train of thought.. for those folks who are baffled or angered/threatened, all i can do is sit back and enjoy the free show

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:37 PM
link   

I like music from all genres and I couldnt care less what the lyrics are about, what their trying to convey, how much effort they put into it or who else likes it, to me it either sounds good or doesnt, that sounded awful to my ears LOL.

The thread title intrigued me which is why I clicked the song, got 2 min in and literally felt ill.
Maybe it says something about my mentality but I really didnt wanna know what the rest of thread was about if that was what you opened with haha, sorry

My experience with music like that is that liking it is more about rebelling against fabricated pop music than the actual music itself, something that was only reinforced by your reply to me.

Sorry if I was rude but that music was awful to my ears and my short attention span would not allow me to continue with the thread LOL

Ill give ya a flag because even though I was rude you responded with civility

EDIT: As for alternatives I would suggest anything, nails down a blackboard or cats fighting may be good choices if the song from the OP is your cup of tea

But seriously for me I like a bit of everything, have never heard 1 album I liked all the songs on but my tastes tend towards the more poppy, R&B and rap genre but I like some metal, some classical, some rock Hell Ill even admit to having a sice girls and backstreet boys song or 2 on my playlist

edit on 7/1/2014 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

though I have no way of judging your tone or intent in your comment, your words are related to what I am saying. Our mothers encourage us to "believe in ourselves" and "know that we're smart" which in a sense is simply telling the child "trust your own judgment" (I'm sure everyone has heard that age-old nag of their mother saying "you knew better than that.." or "if your friends jumped off of a bridge, would you?") and this is ALL I'm trying to say..

Everyone has an innate SORT of intelligence, and in a sense they CHOOSE which part of them grows and becomes more refined with time. If were all to trust in out innate intelligence (as our mother told us), we can ALL achieve great things haha. But this also requires that one be open to ANYONE'S ideas (hobos, madmen, religious fanatics, politicians) and hold condemnation back, at least as long at it takes to receive the entire message and then process the information and do with it what you will..

It's sort of humorous to me that people insult this song thinking that I'M going to somehow be hurt or disturbed that people don't enjoy it.. it's not MY song folks... but i do enjoy it, even in the face of opposition haha. so again.. i point out that one of us is getting enjoyment and inspiration, while others apparently get pain and confusion..?

I'm guessing it'd be simple to guess which one i prefer

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by IkNOwSTuff

Perhaps I made a mistake in beginning with the song haha, but all-the-same I think the song illustrates my point in terms of people limiting themselves in what they can "digest" mentally.

I'm really not trying to convince anyone to "like" this song, and in fact thought it would be perfect to lure those folks who are very reactive when it comes to music.. I just don't think that it is fair to ignore or deny that this man was making music in the 70s that shared much with styles that became popular in the 90s and 2000s.. ALL of his music isn't for everyone, but I would say that i bet i could find one of his songs to appeal to just about ANYONE... (i mean.. 400 albums... there's elements of jazz, classical, rock, ballads, synthesizer electro, folk, you name it: he has a song that reflects one or more of these qualities)

but I mean.. physically ill? I'm not going to say you're exaggerating, but personally I have only felt physically ill from music when (accidentally) attending a Dubstep show haha.. I literally felt feverish and nauseous for the entire day following that much BASS being pushed through my spinal column.. but then again, I have friends that listen to that crap all the time and go to dubstep festivals for DAYS unscathed haha.. so to each their own!

but just to be fair to R Stevie Moore, let me post this song just to provide a look at another one of his "sounds"

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

The majority of people are lazy, and we got that way from overabundance of food and energy.

Maybe it is more of a realization that we are going to die. Life is short and what does it all matter when you are not going to be around very long anyway.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:01 PM
link   

I find the "song" somewhat childishly conceived.

It is music concrete without the tension.

Its overall form is simple repetition of a single 4 note phrase and had no significant decorative changes which are required to add interest. Similarly there is no overall 'direction' or path through the piece.

It has no builds, crescendos or restrained passages. The song has no obvious rhythm and is devoid of harmony.

I have heard more interesting computer generated music.

I find that when I listen to great music, my imagination is boosted and empowered by the emotional responses it elicits. This does not happen for me with this piece.

I did not listen to the whole piece as I have other interests that I find more fulfilling.

My previous comment was because I don't have to pretend.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:31 PM
link   
ok, so I am going to pretend I am smart, for the rest of the evening.
I'm already getting a headache over it. But I will persevere until perhaps midnight.

In your opening Post, you mentioned Moondog. A name I haven't heard mentioned much in years.
However, I distinctly remember his music being used as a teaching tool in my middle School many "moons" ago (many).
One song in particular, has been embedded in my mind for all those years,.
and I found it on Youtube...

Maybe

perhaps a little more palatable to some.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Skywatcher2011
You don't need to use big words in posts to make you look intelligent.

Agreed:

HyphenSt1
(mostly just in enabling the current stagnation to draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag)

That's way too big of a word.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

My previous comment was because I don't have to pretend

if this is really true, then I am preaching to the choir and our difference of opinion is just that.. a difference. However, the difference as i see it, is that i don't really have a formula like "needs crescendos and more than 4 notes" to be music.. nor do i need something to be intended as "music" for me to enjoy it as such.. If that was the case, i would ONLY be listening to the most avant garde of the avant garde, and the people in this thread would be even more irate at me posting John Cage and Steve Reich all the time haha. I can speak fluently about how Frank Zappa or even Scott Walker's careers also outlined what i put forth in the OP, but I'm not delusional enough to think the most folks would care! so far, i think the responses to the song in the OP have confirmed this assumption..

i am hearing a choir of raindrops on my roof right now, and that is much more entertaining to me than the Aerosmith discography haha, if that gives you any insight into the position I'm speaking from..

Its overall form is simple repetition of a single 4 note phrase and had no significant decorative changes which are required to add interest. Similarly there is no overall 'direction' or path through the piece.

well.. man i think you mighta missed the joke haha. the repetition and monotony just MIGHT be related to the observation he is making..

"
I am the one with the ego disease that

Puts me in a class of my own

But it's hard being ahead of your time

And i'll continue to grow

Rock n' roll is deceasing

Everybody knows it's repetition

Do it once do it over again

And again once more - no competition.

That is wrong.

Pretend for a second that you are very intelligent

Smile with knowledge of truth

It's simple to grasp a creative style

To use and continue to use

Cuz rock n' roll is constipated

Not only is it # but it's runny #

And it doesn't wanna stop oozing out

And you know i'm tired of it.

c'mon!

What in the world is wrong with you?

Explain why are you acting so dumb?

You can't fool me

I know you've got some common sense!

You should be unable to control

Your imagination like that

Let it out!

Enough diarrhea get smart!

You already are smart

Just cut the games!"

do you find that you relate to the lyrics out of the context of the music... because i have a feeling that a majority of ATSers WOULD... but that's largely the trouble with the typical ATS, New-Ager, is that they know the "right" buzzwords and concepts to discuss, but they can't bring it into their daily lives and "face the music"..

I just relate to what he communicates in the song.. I haven't paid money for an album or a show, i haven't bought a T-shirt, I just appreciated the message.. but even THIS gets opposition from people on here...? i mean, when i see people posting crap music that i don't understand, i just don't even respond or react to it... i just go on my merry way..

I just tend to agree that music (and EVERY industry) has become a sea of mediocrity.

it is marketing, genres, and "scenes" which get an artist attention from the masses, and not original compositions these days, but for ME it is new, fresh sounds which really intrigue me. I find that i only have this in common with no more than FOUR people on this Earth (including my father), and frankly i find that a little weird..
I especially find it interesting that on a site like ATS (with a lot of people from the fringes of society, with many creative-types) that there seems to be an epidemic of people who still think in terms of "good" and "bad" and unless something IMMEDIATELY falls into one category, they attack and ridicule, and then are on their way before they can absorb anything of the "opposing" opinion...
I'm interested in actually LEARNING and becoming exposed to new things, and that simply cannot be done with the terms "good" and "bad" or "is music" and "is NOT music"... it really means nothing besides indicating your receptiveness to what is being presented..

it seems like most people have no idea how to measure what music/film/art makes them actually FEEL good, so they follow general consensus, and i am trying to make the case that opening oneself to everything and anything, without immediate condemnation, is much more beneficial to a person who is interested in ACTUALLY being entertained..

I have heard more interesting computer generated music

so have i, but I'm sure folks around here would consider it music even less-so..

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by spacedoubt

one of my absolute favorite songs by him.. I've actually been meaning to make a Moondog thread for some time, but it is difficult to present his work to those who no nothing of it..

his work is also very child-like in spirit but also one of the most articulate, subtle, and innovative composers of the last century.. and he is hardly mentioned by anyone, and his music (which often seem to be MADE for modern films...) is hardly ever used.. This is truly a mystery to me!

This phenomenon confuses and interests me.. at least much more so than "why doesn't anyone get R Stevie Moore???" haha.

At any rate, getting some semblance of a real thoughtful discussion around here, is like pulling teeth..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join