It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Satan's Statue design unveiled in Oklahoma

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
The satanic Temple has presented the design of a statue they've been looking to erect in Oklahoma.
They had already submitted an application to the counsil and are still waiting for an answer.
There's more info about the story in this thread:
Satanists Demand Statue next to christian monument in oklahoma

“The statue will also have a functional purpose as a chair where people of all ages may sit on the lap of Satan for inspiration and contemplation.”

Sorry but i couldn't load the picture, in this article you will find the design.

These guys arent some die hard satanist, as i have seen before,they dont worship Satan in its biblical form but rather see him as “the ultimate icon for the selfless revolt against tyranny, free & rational inquiry, and the responsible pursuit of happiness"

They even have tenets, here they are:

1. One should strive to act with compassion and empathy towards all creatures in accordance with reason.
2. The struggle for justice is an ongoing and necessary pursuit that should prevail over laws and institutions.
3. One’s body is inviolable, subject to one’s own will alone.
4. The freedoms of others should be respected, including the freedom to offend. To willfully and unjustly encroach upon the freedoms of another is to forego your own.
5. Beliefs should conform to our best scientific understanding of the world. We should take care never to distort scientific facts to fit our beliefs.
6. People are fallible. If we make a mistake, we should do our best to rectify it and resolve any harm that may have been caused.
7. Every tenet is a guiding principle designed to inspire nobility in action and thought. The spirit of compassion, wisdom, and justice should always prevail over the written or spoken word.

Here's their website

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
It was worth reading this thread for the tenets alone. Not exactly what you would expect when you hear "Satanist".

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by payta

Interesting website....I noticed that The Satan Temple is really misleading the people in a way that is non-demonic....

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by payta

I see no harm in it. In fact, I find the tenants to be very reasonable, if not something i too would strive for. Far more reasonable (so far) than most other religions I can think of.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
People are so scared of the word "satan" and/or "satanist" but I really don't see a problem with this request. If they are going to contribute to the community in a positive way, why be hypocritical and hinder their efforts.

People fear what they don't understand, it's really that basic.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Not so sure about the design as it will freak a few people out but Im all for some sort of monument, whats good for the goose is good for the gander. Maybe they could turn the area into a place for all religions to erect some sort of monument to signify a sort of coming together and tolerance for each other?

The more I read about Satanism the more I like it, If I had a religious bone in my body Id say I was more Satanic than anything else.

Just to clarify for people I do not believe in the devil and would not worship any deity let alone the literary Devil.
That said from my understanding of the bible Satan seems like a better bloke than god, he basically gave us self awareness if you believe the bible to be true (I dont)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Its a free country, let them do it. Christians should know better than to let this up set them.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Here's the design:

Why are they still using a preexisting pagan god for Satan's head? Doesn't that constitute as slander?

Also, in response to the "tenets of Satanism" as listed above...it's pretty sad when Satanists impress me more than Judaics do. I mean, just look at it. Not one tenet regarding the worship of Satan. Not one command to respect and pay tribute to the Lord of the Underworld or whatever title he holds these days. Each tenet is concerned solely with principles on which to base our relationships with ourselves and others. Not one word wasted on anything other than the most important things in life. How selfless and humble is that? That's fantastic. I mean, just wow. I'm not being sarcastic here. That is truly a model to live by.
edit on 7-1-2014 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
BWAHAHAHA! They covered Baphomet's crotch!

Sorry, but the typical depictions of Baphomet unlike this statue have a phallic caduceus! The happy surprised (or is she fed up?) kids are nice touch though...

Really surprised it did not include some sort of eternal flame on the crown...ah well.
edit on 7-1-2014 by abeverage because: of eternal flamming heads!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

I might be wrong, but don't the circling snakes represent the womb? Not to mention that snakes often stand in as an icon of life and resurrection and renewal and all that good stuff that is associated with birth... Doesn't the entirety of the rod and snakes represent the inclusion of both masculine and feminine as elements of divinity?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
Here's the design:

Why are they still using a preexisting pagan god for Satan's head? Doesn't that constitute as slander?

Also, in response to the "tenets of Satanism" as listed above...it's pretty sad when Satanists impress me more than Judaics do. I mean, just look at it. Not one tenet regarding the worship of Satan. Not one command to respect and pay tribute to the Lord of the Underworld or whatever title he holds these days. Each tenet is concerned solely with principles on which to base our relationships with ourselves and others. Not one word wasted on anything other than the most important things in life. How selfless and humble is that? That's fantastic. I mean, just wow. I'm not being sarcastic here. That is truly a model to live by.

Ahhh I thought he would look like Santa since kids can sit in his lap.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

AfterInfinity

I might be wrong, but don't the circling snakes represent the womb? Not to mention that snakes often stand in as an icon of life and resurrection and renewal and all that good stuff that is associated with birth... Doesn't the entirety of the rod and snakes represent the inclusion of both masculine and feminine as elements of divinity?

The breasts represent the feminine and the rod of Mercury or the caduceus is the masculine. But I would ask Jack Chick as far as any other interpretations...lol

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:11 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I happen to be from Oklahoma. And while I personally believe in everyone's right to express themselves, as long as that expression does not harm others. The powers that be, in Oklahoma, do not necessarily share that belief. Being 'The Buckle of the Bible Belt', Oklahoma legislators will never let this pass. This is the same state that has just had a Tulsa Union school student expelled for ' casting a spell' on her teacher, because she checked out a wiccan book from the school library and then her teacher got sick.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:15 PM
link   

BWAHAHAHA! They covered Baphomet's crotch!

And a good thing they did
Would be difficult to sit on his lap and be inspired or contemplate anything with a 9inch Baphomet Phallus saying hello LOL

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I was right. The snakes can be interpreted as being the feminine aspect, in contrast to the rod being the male aspect. Sexual equality certainly seems to be a theme one would find unpopular in older times. Seems to me that Satan is the embodiment of all progressive concepts and ideologies, everything that a conservative fundamentalist would find offensive or questionable.

The act of placing the monument in such proximity to a Judaic monument, in itself, reflects a certain equality reminiscent of the progressive flavor which made Satanism so frightening and repellent. If they manage to pull it off, I'm going to laugh. But first, I will demand pictures.

ETA: oh, and they didn't just cover the crotch. They covered EVERYTHING, from the neck down. Seems a little conservative, but there's nothing wrong with that.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:19 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb

Well, now the Satanic god can share the spotlight, with a monument and a list of tenets to boot. I'm thinking we could use more people adhering to that list of principles. Seems like we'd make more progress with a bit of spice from that rack.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Satanist are free to choose their fate. To acknowledge Satan(The Adversary) and follow him is to acknowledge God and oppose him. That's a losing battle every time. Lets be logical for a second. God created Satan and everything else. Who decides the final outcome of a new building: the building itself, or the Architect?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join