It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Largest Sunspot in 12 Years, Targets Earth' X1.2+

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

spaceweather.com...

SW is reporting one of the biggests spots in years will be crossing the center of the solar disk.

That puts any eruptions that occur, likely earth directed.

NOAA forecasters estimate a 75% chance of M-class flares and a 30% chance of X-flares on Jan. 7th.

sidc.oma.be...

An impulsive M7.2 flare erupted on January 7 at 10:13 UTC

[yvid]BSfzpEdOO-I[yvid]

Observation of solar wind pattern, that may be related to solar pole 'flip':

edit on 7-1-2014 by gardener because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
wrap everything up in tin foil!

Esp your head

Im guninly scared of a solar flare, 3 days of food in the stores they say..... Im not sure what i would do without my devices! Dark ages sounds damned scary to this clueless user.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Getting Bigger-Solar Ham just reporting X flare.
www.solarham.net...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Yep an X1.2 --- she's gettin' angry!

Awesome shot...

edit on 7-1-2014 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Oh wow S, I'll update the title

Surprised there isn't already a thread for todays biggie, im 3hrs behind most of usa

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I wonder if that's why I feel like crap today....

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Next couple of days are going to be good ones for our sun enthusiasts, the spot looks angry and active and I hope to get a few more good showings before it crests the limb, fingers crossed not to get zapped back to the stoneage, but then again who knows we might be better off. I dunno diabolical to say the least, hoping for clear skies and auroras where I'm at!!!

A day and a bit and we shall see what impact if any from these produces....

"Eyes on the Sky"

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
So do we know if that X flare came from the one facing earth? Or if there was a earth-directed CME?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wake me up when we have an X15+. We might have something to worry about then.

Thee may be some communication disruptions or even a minor blackout but that's about the limit of what something this size could induce.
edit on 7-1-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: Or not of

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'm a bit thick when it comes to CME's....but if this X flare has gone off, and I do understand the different magnitude scale and realise an X is something to be concerned about....how long, being earth directed, before it 'hits'? I was under the impression an X flare can literally take just 20 minutes or so to impact our magnetosphere.
Thanks
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
"We are what our thoughts have made us; so take care about what you think. Words are secondary. Thoughts live; they travel far." --Swami Vivekananda

S0 News January 7, 2014: Polar Vortex SPLITS, Solar Flare Uptick

edit on 7-1-2014 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Solarham now reporting a bright CME detected generated from this X flare.
www.solarham.net...

edit on 7-1-2014 by SeekingDepth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   

angelchemuel
I'm a bit thick when it comes to CME's....but if this X flare has gone off, and I do understand the different magnitude scale and realise an X is something to be concerned about....how long, being earth directed, before it 'hits'? I was under the impression an X flare can literally take just 20 minutes or so to impact our magnetosphere.
Thanks
Rainbows
Jane

Only because I care Jane and I get an alert for anything in the X category...NOAA Space Weather Scales

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

The SDO will be updating as we speak but this one did seem to come from 1944 and with its position will be earth directed and facing dependent upon speed at which the plasma is coming should be a day or two till we see effects in the monitoring equipment can check the NASA ENLIL SPIRAL or the NOAA ENLIL SPIRAL for estimated time of impact.

As well the SDO as I said should update on the hour with the most recent shots of the flare zone

Eyes should be open 1944 & 1946 still harbor the energy for further M & X class flares as I said earlier a good couple of days for us who enjoy watching the sun do its thing.

SaneThinking

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

guninly scared ....

I'm this scared too.

edit on 7-1-2014 by EA006 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
TS

Hmm, that one's become my new fave moticon for time being.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Folk stop worrying X1.2 is barely a blip the powergrids will hardly notice such a teeny flare
the worst this will do is cause some shortwave radio problems and maybe perk up the auroras
some (if) the polarity is right.

the time to worry is if we get an earth directed X10 + then maybe the grids will suffer some irritation.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
It was just bumped up to an R3 still not much to write home about...

SUMMARY: X-ray Event exceeded X1
Begin Time: 2014 Jan 07 1804 UTC
Maximum Time: 2014 Jan 07 1832 UTC
End Time: 2014 Jan 07 1858 UTC
X-ray Class: X1.2
Optical Class: 2n
NOAA Scale: R3 - Strong

R 3
Strong
HF Radio: Wide area blackout of HF radio communication, loss of radio contact for about an hour on sunlit side of Earth.

Navigation: Low-frequency navigation signals degraded for about an hour.
edit on 7-1-2014 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
I just bought six cans of spam for ten bucks at the store. Now I can start spamming everyone.

I guess I am getting prepped without even knowing it. I like fried spam sondwiches on toast occasionally, I got till 2017 before the expiration date.

What the heck are these new emoticans, you just get used to them and they change them.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by seasoul

I wonder what the status is of The Large Hadron colliser and HAARP?
Before anyone jumps in, but what if......I will rephrase that.
if I am right in thinking that the earth indeed needs cme's or flares to effectively charge the planet to its required state ( hope you get what I mean) then would it be possible to induce or provoke the Sun to produce a flare using such technology because after all the solar cycle has been piss poor.
So, is it possible?
edit on 7-1-2014 by jazz10 because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3 >>

join