It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. Avg Temp: 14.2° (What happens IF?)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Inconvenience is good for us.

What doesn't kill us, makes us stronger.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
For those that think "freezing" is no big deal.

Those who crave fresh citrus and want to harvest an orange, grapefruit, lemon or lime from the backyard, need to transplant themselves to the southern reaches of the country. These vitamin-C-rich fruits flourish out of doors in USDA plant hardiness zones 8 to 11 because they cannot withstand prolonged exposure to below-freezing temperatures. A hard freeze can destroy not only the year's crop but the trees as well. Read more: www.ehow.com...
People in Florida are already reporting damaged trees and crops.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Don't worry, we have better ways of fighting the frost giant today. The frost Giant of the Ruins was probably the glacier.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:53 PM
link   

snowspirit
Omg, I just did the conversion to Celsius.

14.2 F is only -9.8

I'd worry more if all of the US stayed colder, like at least -20 Celsius.

I'm blaming the US media here, I keep hearing about skin freezing after 10 min (CNN), and other exaggerations.
They're hyping it up.

You really are too smart to play the, "oh it gets cold here so why can't you deal with it", game.

When you have an unusual climate change affecting an area that isn't equipped with it, it wreaks havoc on the infrastructure.

Building codes are different, houses are built differently, people's vehicles are not weather proofed, their houses meet different building codes, permafrost layers are different for each different area affecting the piping.

I had several coworkers that had to leave today because of pipes busting. Most of the houses in my area are equipped with heat pumps, not furnaces, which are meant for milder temperatures, and not long term cold use and burn out quickly.

We have had huge water main breaks all over the city. People's houses are not insulated the same. A nursing home in my state had to be evacuated do to pipes bursting.

And cold related deaths are already rolling in from the OCMEs office. So yes, death kills.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:00 PM
link   

snowspirit
reply to post by WonderBoi

What happens IF the roads start freezing, to the point trucks can't deliver their goods?

???
Trucks function during deep freezes. Things do break, they get fixed. As long as there's power to the gas stations, trucks move.
The roads are actually less slippery if it's colder than -20 Celsius - the colder the better.
And then there's work for road crews in the spring to fix the potholes.

If the city has the money to repair them.

The city I work in is already in major financial issues, the roads are already crap. The conditions of the city roads already cost commuters an extra $1500 a year in vehicle maintenance because of the shoddy road construction. Your car literally rattles apart.

There was a car sized sinkhole in front of my building that took the city a year to fix. If the funds are not there, the commuters suffer.

Then they are already are facing a crisis of a very antiquated water system that is already fraying, and will cost billions to replace, which a very poor city does not have the funds to replace.

It is easy to be blaise when it isn't you location that is suffering.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:01 PM
link   

mikell
reply to post by WonderBoi

I guess I just don't get where your going . It's winter just a bit colder than last year been happening for thousands of years and man survived and he did it without the internet to tell him how cold it is. It's 0 F outside and has been snowing for 4 days we have about 3 feet on the ground and more coming but it's just winter and nobody can control it. Although a friend just spent 6 months in Brazil on weather expeierments to see what they could do but that's the way the government is.

There are cold records being broken all over the country. So no, it is not just "winter".

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   

WonderBoi
I understand that this type of weather has occurred before, but what i'm getting at is this: Our generation has NEVER experienced anything "inconvenient"; as a whole; how would we deal with a "plague" or a "mini ice age"? Could you see yourself living a "Day After Tomorrow" type scenario? How about something like, "I am Legend"? Could they happen??? Absolutely!!! That's not the question, the question is: Could you handle it, IF.....? Are you prepared, IF.....???

The US is more prepared for a "plague" more than any other country. Billions are pumped into the state and local economies to prepare for a pandemic scenario. That is the number one threat to the country, a serious flu pandemic could cripple society and the economy over any terrorist or bioterrorism event. If a serious pandemic were to hit, the US is the place you want to be.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join