It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

man is executed when judge overturns the jury's verdict of life

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:15 PM
link   

blackthorne
as i stated, i did not want his to be a debate on the death penalty. this was meant to discuss the judge over ruling the jury giving this man life, and the judge saying, "nope! this man get's the chair!" the man in question did not actually pull the trigger and fully cooperated with police when caught. not saying he was an innocent by far. yes, he did deserve prison time. a lot of it!

Yes but he was EQUALLY responsible for putting the victims in that situation by entering armed. He was also the ONLY person who could have saved them.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:30 PM
link   

The vast majority of states that have a death penalty require a unanimous vote by a jury before the death penalty is applied. But three states—Florida, Alabama, and Delaware—do it differently. This is how Beauford White came to be executed against his jury’s wishes.
(Op Link)

That's pretty backward if you ask me, and it's just not right. The only real safeguard the system has for punishments on the extreme ends IS the Jury system. A judge SHOULD have the ability to DOWNGRADE what a Jury assigns, if the Judge sees emotion or other factors ..However, a Judge should *NEVER* have the ability to UPGRADE from a properly delivered Jury sentence recommendation.

The whole point is that Judges are more likely to be jaded and cold beyond reasonable for what we want our system to be. Especially on Death. This is just totally wrong.

new topics

<< 1   >>

join