It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World's Most Dangerous Path - Would You Risk It?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
There a mountain in China called Mt. Hua Shan. At its base, you’ll find a gigantic set of stone stairs, called “The Heavenly Stairs.” These stairs go so high up the mountainside, it’s hard to see where they end. If that wasn’t enough, the precarious stairs lead to the world’s most dangerous trail, the Hua Shan plank path. The plank trail leads high up the Hua Shan mountain just outside the city Xi’an. You will not be forced to wear safety gear, although it’s strongly encouraged. The trail itself is dangerous and stunning, but you will never guess what is at the top.

You start with the beautiful carved stairs which in themselves are daunting.

Little villages and house have popped up along the stairs.

Once you high enough, you will reach gondolas that will take you to the southern peak, where the true challenge starts.

This is where the plank path (and sweaty palms) begins.

There is almost nothing keeping you from falling.

There are sections that must be climbed using the toe hole cut outs.

Almost there...

So what's waiting at the end of this dangerous journey? Enlightenment? The secrets of life?

Tea. The very top of the southern peak is a Taoist temple that was converted into a teahouse.

Thousands of people make the dangerous climb every year to drink tea.

So what say you? If you were there, would you take the climb? At first I think it's completely nuts, but it would also be a once-in-a-lifetime chance. The views would be breathtaking (and possibly life-taking) and I'm sure the sense of accomplishment would be second to none. For me, I'd probably do it, especially seeing normally equipped everyday people doing it right in front of me. That's not to say I wouldn't be scared out of my mind though.

That better be some really, really...REALLY good tea.

Sources: Reddit
Mt. Huashan Tea House

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Loverly shots but hell no im far to much of a scaredy cat to even pretend i could make that climb.

Also its a bit chicken and egg, who put the path there and how did they do it?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I would do it. Of course not being stupid I would bring a climbing harness and two short lines with carabiners so that I always had one attachment point. They have similar trails like that in Europe but with steel cables and mandatory harnesses.

Great pics, stunning trail.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Also, how do they work the two-way traffic on that thing? Going back down would be much scarier, but also having to get around people. I envision lots of unintentional dry humping going on.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Um, no.

Ill be happy knowing others enjoy that. Meanwhile, Ill cuddle up with the misses and try to stay warm.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by jtrenthacker

ha thats a good point, its all very well focusing on the top, but going back down, you HAVE to look down hehe

while dodging other people too!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Ya know I'm terrified of heights and I really don't like tea, but if I was there I'd have to do it. What's the point in living life if you don't have any experiences. I have a strong sense of adventure and if I had the chance hell yeah I'd do it. Great story for the kids and grand kids. When I'm old and I look back on my life I don't want to say I lived an okay life. I'd say hell yeah I experienced an amazing life.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Wanderer777
Ya know I'm terrified of heights and I really don't like tea, but if I was there I'd have to do it. What's the point in living life if you don't have any experiences. I have a strong sense of adventure and if I had the chance hell yeah I'd do it. Great story for the kids and grand kids. When I'm old and I look back on my life I don't want to say I lived an okay life. I'd say hell yeah I experienced an amazing life.

My sentiments exactly. Thousands or normal people do it every year. That would give me confidence. I would still be a wreck the whole time though.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

I'm with Biigs…who in the hell built the original path? How and why?

I would have to do it for the experience for sure. Even if I was sweating and shaking the whole time.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Holy Ginseng Batman!

My heart skipped a beat just looking at the pictures.
(I have a slight fear of heights.)

It is truly beautiful to look at, but unless that tea gives me infinite knowledge and eternal youth, I'll stay here on the ground where it is safe.

Really lovely pictures though.
Thanks for sharing.

edit on 7/1/2014 by Rainbowresidue because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
If the "tea house" was a cannabis dispensary, I might consider it(grins). Or maybe a good shot of whiskey with a cold COLD beer chaser. No, I'd need that BEFORE I climbed all the way up there. I don't know; I'd probably do it as I am a lover of pretty views. Pretty cool stuff! S&F

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

If the "tea house" was a cannabis dispensary, I might consider it(grins)

adrenaline and THC don't mix.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Wow, S&F ....I don`t like heights to much, so I think I`d be OK with some parts only
edit on 7-1-2014 by CosmicDude because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by Fylgje

If the "tea house" was a cannabis dispensary, I might consider it(grins)

adrenaline and THC don't mix.

While thats true, if there was a HUGE water slide back down i might give it a try HAHAH weeeeeeeeee

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Yes, when I was younger & with no kids. Full on climbing harness gear etc. Steep & this is just the start.

Now I will enjoy my tea and enjoy the pics. Thanks for sharing & asking.
Link with a slew of pics, scroll to the bottom as pics are worth it. www.ssqq.com...
*&F

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I cannot help but to notice that the people in the photos are walking one way.... hmmmmm looking again at the photos surely this is a one way passage.... So how does one get back down????

Okay I vote for a fireman's pole and silicone gloves lol..... or base jumping.... If I am wrong how does one pass on the width of 3 narrow planks?????? or Toe Holes???

Magic experience for those who do the trek... Wonder if any of the locals go there daily, that will keep them young!

S n F - thanks for posting this would have been better to receive a posted plane ticket to do the walk LOL

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I don't mind heights but I have to feel safe. If there's a nice, safe fence or I'm in an aircraft then I love it but just looking at these photos sends strange shivers down my spine.

I'm one of those people who just feel like they want to jump off when at great heights like this.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
I guess I would do it if the reward was great enough.

If the reward was just seeing what it looks like from some of those perches.... then NO, not me.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Granted the beautiful views, that trail is the stuff my nightmares are made of.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Fylgje
If the "tea house" was a cannabis dispensary, I might consider it(grins). Or maybe a good shot of whiskey with a cold COLD beer chaser. No, I'd need that BEFORE I climbed all the way up there. I don't know; I'd probably do it as I am a lover of pretty views. Pretty cool stuff! S&F

Yeah, I'm with you, but there would be no way I could handle that climb with THC in the system. I would just curl up and suck my thumb. It would be nice at the tea house with the beautiful views, but I would definitely need to "come down" before I come down.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join