It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Further away planets 'can support life' say researchers

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Indigent
reply to post by JadeStar

I always wonder if mars cooled off quickly, or if had some time where it had current earth conditions, I guess my fingertips got the answer for that as you once suggested me, but i think ill keep wondering and be happier.

Well these are questions we're still studying. It's widely thought Mars cooled before the Earth did after the late heavy bombardment. We have some Mars meteorites that left the planet when it still had a substantial magnetic field and we know the ages of them.

There was a very good Beyond the Wormhole with Morgan Freeman which talked about this by the way.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Well from personal experiance I have seen Bactria survive and even grow in some extremly unlikley and what was thought impossible places.

If there a energy source I would not say life is impossible.

You have to think just because humans cant survive somewhere doesnt mean something else cant. Read up on extremophiles.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Infact to add Deinococcus radiodurans is a very good one to look at in reguards to moons and planets that could be takeing high amounts of radiation.
edit on 7-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:09 PM
link   
It's all about the atmosphere !

The heat that it can capture in it... Earth could switch with Mars, and you would only need to add a few extra green house gases, for the same temperatures.

Venus is so hot because it traps so much heat. Without the atmospheres green house gases it would reflect more heat, and traps less. Temperatures would plummet.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Battleline
reply to post by ketsuko

I believe the subject was "habitable planets" not rocky asteroid's. big difference I think.

So we should be tender of extremophiles on planets?

We can't touch our own extremophiles very easily.

I'm not as sure of finding deep extremophiles on Mars though unless they're ice/water based. Does it even have an active core anymore?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigent

It's is about making claims so preposterous that if said often enough everyone will believe it...until they come up with something else more plausible.

You see, if you are a scientist, it must be the truth....! (why are emoticons looking so pathetic this year?)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Everybody talk about planets, but if a moon around a gas giant (like Europa around Jupiter) can support life in its underground ocean, heated by the tidal forces from the gas giant, then the distance to the star doesn't really matter. A gas giant may be as far out as Neputune is from the Sun, and still support life in this way.

What's with all the bashing of the scientists? Looks like it stems from ignorance, to be honest. "I don't understand science or how scientific theories and hypotheses work, so they must be all lying and hiding the truth from us! Meanwhile, I'm gonna believe the Electric Universe, Nibiru, and any other "alternative" theory out there, because it makes sense to me!"

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:46 AM
link   

wildespace
Everybody talk about planets, but if a moon around a gas giant (like Europa around Jupiter) can support life in its underground ocean, heated by the tidal forces from the gas giant, then the distance to the star doesn't really matter. A gas giant may be as far out as Neputune is from the Sun, and still support life in this way.

Absolutely correct.

We also know of wandering giant planets that got ejected from their star systems during their formation. It's been quietly theorized that many of these worlds could be tidally heating their moons thus giving them an inner habitable area.

So stars may not even be necessary for primordial life.

What's with all the bashing of the scientists? Looks like it stems from ignorance, to be honest. "I don't understand science or how scientific theories and hypotheses work, so they must be all lying and hiding the truth from us! Meanwhile, I'm gonna believe the Electric Universe, Nibiru, and any other "alternative" theory out there, because it makes sense to me!"

Thank you so much for that. As a scientist in training it makes me sad to see such ignorance.

I do what I can to counter it though.
And i think some people have been helped from it.

One thing I try to do here on ATS is explain not just what the discovery or paper is about but why they know what they know. Often the way the MSM reports science stories fails to explain why we know what we know so people just think these things are just pulled out of thin air.

edit on 8-1-2014 by JadeStar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:50 AM
link   
They also say we all have or had an identical twin in this world.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
I don't doubt that there's possibility for this especially when factoring in elements like Tidal Heating of Gas Giant Moons, like we see in an extreme sense with the moon Io.

There's also the question that arises concerning Gas Giants that are essentially 'failed stars' or Brown Dwarfs that have collected their own satellite systems within a Solar System.
Are there Brown Dwarfs that give off sufficiently enough thermal output for any X number of its satellites to have their own Earth-Like goldilocks zone around them?

In that respect, we could wind up with Earth-Like planets just as warm and hospitable as Earth except for a poor reception of visible light (if located very far from Solar Primary, like an orbital distance similar Neptune, or Uranus), with complicated 'night' cycles alternating between rotational night and giant brown dwarf eclipse night.

hmm.
Fun stuff to think about and consider.

edit on 1/8/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join