It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Big Mistake: The Personification of 'God'

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:41 AM
link   

edmc^2

Maverick7
Remember 'The Lord, thy God is a jealous God...'

There are more than one of them? And he's 'jealous'? An omnipotent, omniscient super-being who has everything is jealous? Really?

Really, because you're not reading and understanding what you read in CONTEXT.

To put it in human terms - how would you feel or react if your spouse starts devoting his/her loyalty and love to others instead of you?

Might you be 'jealous' - even a bit?

Well, same thing with God in regards to His relationship with the nation of Israel. After they were freed from slavery in Egypt, they (the Israelites as a people) promised to God to serve, honor and be faithful to Him. In turn God said that He will make them his people if they obey his commandments.

The nation agreed. Thus as a warning, they were commanded not to serve any other gods but him alone for he is jealous as a loving husband.

That's what it meant by "a jealous God".

Now if you're not jealous if your spouse betray your love, then there's definitely something wrong with you.

In reality something is wrong with YOU if you are ruled by 'jealousy'.

It's an immature, pointless attribute or character flaw.

If someone started devoting their time to another, I'd look at MYSELF first to see how I had failed to meet their needs.

What gives YOU the right to tell someone that if they aren't immature and self-absorbed there's something WRONG with them?

And, NO, a GOD would not have an immature emotion, unless they were not actually a 'supreme being'.

Consider that the God you think you know is not the 'real' Supreme being.

Yahweh might be the God of the current Universe, but who is the Supreme Being over the Multiverse?

Who is the Supreme Being of ALL possible Multiverses (infinite possible Universes)?

You think someone that advanced (the God of the 9th dimension) would be getting all p*ssy over someone failing to worship them? No. In fact the Biblical memes are what is wrong with the true picture of a possible 'supreme being', not the concept.

HTH

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverick7

In reality something is wrong with YOU if you are ruled by 'jealousy'.

It's an immature, pointless attribute or character flaw.

That's the problem with human "jealousy" - it's oftentimes warp.

But with respect to God it's totally different than that of humans.

God's point of view is much higher than ours. Way higher.

To get a clearer understanding, some Bibles translate it in much better way.

Like the Good News Translation (GNT).

Here's how it renders Ex 20:5

5 Do not bow down to any idol or worship it, because I am the Lord your God and I tolerate no rivals. I bring punishment on those who hate me and on their descendants down to the third and fourth generation.

Compare with the KJV:

(Exd 20:5 KJV) "Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God [am] a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth [generation] of them that hate me;"

In short, the "jealousy" He is referring to here is no other than an "Exclusive Devotion" to him!

As one Bible scholar puts it this way:

“When applied to God, the concept of jealousy does not carry the connotation of a warped emotion, but, rather, of an insistence on the singleness of worship of Jehovah.” - G. H. Livingston,The Pentateuch in Its Cultural Environment

So if you truly love God, then your loyalty is to Him only.

Jesus Christ captured it perfectly when he said:

29 Jesus replied, “The most important one is this: ‘Listen, Israel! The Lord our God is the only Lord.[a] 30 Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ -- Mark 12:29-30 GNT

Yet in spite of the command and the advance warning, what does the nation of Israel do?

(Psa 78:58 KJV) "For they provoked him to anger with their high places, and moved him to jealousy with their graven images."

But in human terms and relationship, when two couples get into marriage, there's a sacred VOW and promised between the two. That BOTH with love each other no matter what. That their loyalty is towards each other.

Of course since humans are imperfect, thus we all fall short of our promises.

God on the other hand CAN'T break His promises for He can't lie!

As the scripture says:

(Hbr 6:18 ASV) "it is impossible for God to lie"

edit on 11-1-2014 by edmc^2 because: reword

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:32 PM
link   

m3lh4d0
A higher being; God, within my framework of understanding could/should be able to take the form and speak the language he/she desires. For we lower beings; creation, constitute its creation. Thus understanding only what that higher being wants us to be revealed about his/her personality based on mind constructions pre-loaded by his own hand.

Raised Catholic, non-practicing parents (Church), bible in the house never tought how to read it or why to read it. 2 years ago babtized as a Christian my by own choice. Everything that i ask God with a humble heart he grants. But remember its you who needs to work for it, God grants it, but you work for it.

God is not a higher "being" as you understand.

God must be understood as a "power" like "light".

God is called 'agni' in Veda. The closest translation of 'agni' is energy.

Humans have a weakness that they personify God as human because they are in love with themselves - an egotistical attitude.

'Yoga Shashtra' defines 'samadhi' (or 'moksha') as 'soul regaining its original/natural state'. So libration of soul is not about realizing God but understanding God, and gaining natural powers of soul which are quite miraculous.

posted on Jan, 11 2014 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

God can never be jealous because God has no 'mind' as humans do.

God is pure and all His actions are natural and automatic.

The fact is that the penance and other methods that are taught by saints are for "self realization". You do not see God but yourself - your own true powers.

This is the biggest confusion which is clearly removed if you study "Yoga Shashtra".

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

"what if god was one of ussss, just a slob like one of ussss"

who cares

enjoy your life

"We are all playing the same game.
There is one dealer.
We don’t know all the rules.
We are not playing against the dealer
We are not playing against each other.
In the end we all fold."

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherTruth17

The issue of "what is God" and "what is soul" are very important.

Why people flock to religion or to belief systems must be understood. Very few people get what they want in life. A large majority are "silent sufferers". The people are often held together just by their belief systems.

Without such systems, anarchy will increase and people will become ungovernable.

Do you wonder why USA has such large prison population?

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
Any "being" that advocates the killing of children, the stoning of women, the unbending devotion from others through coercion is not worthy of worship

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by aoxomoxoa

It is quite possible that a belief system is wrong or has major flaws.

The correct way is to find the belief system that is logical, humane, and appeals to your soul.

I would advise you to learn more about "Veda". Please read thread about "VedaTruth" on ATS.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

I am familiar with the vedas, and I have great respect for Hindu etymology. But as with all religious texts, parables and ancient belief systems have become twisted to fit into modern thinking.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:31 PM
link   

If you are a seeker, you may find the truth yourself.

It takes a lot of effort though. But a seeker can make the effort if seriousness is there.

Learning Sanskrit is a challenge. Learning Vedic Sanskrit is even a bigger challenge. But it is worth it. This way you discover the truth without somebody else giving a 'color'.

A teacher is always the better and faster way. But if you think you prefer to go alone, you can.

You may start with what is in the Vedas. Then you can learn Sanskrit and start a path of self study.

My best wishes to you.

posted on Jan, 31 2014 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

I am not a seeker. Especially of dogma

Experiencing life is more valuable than trying to understand someone else's opinion of life

posted on Feb, 2 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

You said it.

Only one question for you - how do you know what is dogma? Can you give examples.

posted on May, 15 2016 @ 08:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Dark Ghost

The entire Earth is a temple, and god, the Source, Consciousness, well it is everywhere. It is funny though, that humans unlearned to perceive it. For they are the only species in this state. It is the most representative aspect of the Kali Yuga, age of ignorance, so deep, entangling your consciousness with thorn like chains, constricting your creativity, your freedom to point of mental meltdown, reducing human vessels to mere emotional tetraplegics clones with reduced perception and total dependance to illusory concepts and false beliefs, enslaved to those that werent fool enough to fall so low, call them tbtb. The worst that could happen in short.

Now for those that have eyes to see, an infernal spiral is happening leading faster and faster towards global disaster of epic proportions, at the scale of the many "myths" of past apocalypses which oddly enough, are present in every belief systems in the world, even the natives got them. What does it say? That it was always bound to happen. The details are irrelevant. The end already was predicted millenias ago. But who could truly fathom such singularity happening this way? The World is great and full of terrors, like it or not, it is correcting itself in a way that only Consciousness can. A miracle is already happening, at every possible moment. Knowing this, rejoice.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join