It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Big Mistake: The Personification of 'God'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 08:21 PM
link   
God is absolut neutral. God does not have a shape or form because God is absolute infinite. God takes up all Space there is.

God is a absolute constant, God will never change. God never changed even when God formed finite existance. Only finite existance will changes as intended. Not God.

God formed finite existance as a singularity in the beginning. The singularity had all the Properties within it to form life as we know it, the universe; everything, when it was created. Even the future of man kind and all life that is to come. The expansion time line from when the singularity was created until now proves it.

Genesis verse 3. God said let there be light. I gues the singularity emitted a very Bright Light as it was being compressed into a energy mass/singularity.

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Dark Ghost

The human thought that God looks human is a very serious mistake borne out of ignorance.

Fundamental logic removes that doubt very easily for a rational mind.

There are so many stars and planets out there easily suggesting existence of countless human (or intelligent) races, in addition to countless other species.

If a GOD exists, it has to be a God of all human races, and other species as well. So if God looks human, which human species does he look like? Obviously each human race may think He is one of them.

'Veda' clears this doubt. Veda says 'ekam sat' - God is only one. Further the qualities of God like 'present everywhere in the universe' means He cannot be confined to a human body. God makes the Universe run - both inanimate and animate objects. God must be understood as a life force or 'power' rather than a body.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:49 AM
link   

ganjoa What does "god" need with our worship?
If "god" is personified then all the shortcomings of "personhood" apply - "god" defeintely has an "ego" in this scenario.
Doesn't really seem like the timeless, omnicient, omnipotent super-being responsible for all creation, does it?

I agree. And it's terribly difficult to get people to realize that Jesus was only one avatar, amongst many, of the god/matrix.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

God did not make man in "His" image...

MAN MADE GOD IN MANS IMAGE.

Now, was that so hard?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:57 AM
link   

3NL1GHT3N3D1
The verse about being created in God's imageis extremely misinterpreted. Look in the mirror, you are created in God's image in that situation because you can see an image of yourself. We are created in God's image in the same way a painting is "created" when we look at it, we collapse the wave function. God's image is the image that we see and that image is the light of the world, it is the image of the invisible God and the light of life.

The image is what we see, we are the image because everything we experience is from the image we see. If everything we experience is part of the image then we are the image.

Interesting interpretation, but I was wondering: Given an image is formed by the contrast between an object and its surroundings, then if God is infinite and has no boundary, how can you get an "image" of God?
I think the problem lies in the translation of the Bible. What was the exact meaning of the Hebrew word(s) in Genesis that got translated into English as the word "image"?

Similarly, on the topic of God's person-hood, I'm wondering whether God can have a human-like personality at all, given his sheer magnitude. Let's face it, something did a fantastic job in setting up the universe as we see it, from the subatomic all the way up to the cosmic level- it all works together to support life. That's pretty smart, agree? Isaiah remarked- "For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways and thoughts are higher than yours."

But human intelligence is just a tool for survival, like teeth and claws. It lets us take what we need from the environment. But since God is always giving, giving, giving, in survival terms, that's just plain stupid. So God wouldn't register as an intelligent being, just a vast source of favours.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by captainradon

I read somewhere that the highest class of intelligence would be immortal, undying. It would be everywhere, and would exist as long as there is existence. I can imagine why a mind like that wouldn't mind spending a few sectillion years as innumerable ignorant organisms scattered across a vast masterpiece we call the cosmos. But that's all just theory. Quite frankly, I don't see that as being any sort of intelligence at all. So many disparate lives tangled together in the longest movie in existence? You wouldn't have any identity. You would be a drone. But doesn't every action have a single and opposite direction? So what's the opposite direction to that? Living a life of a single gluttonous materialist creature enslaved to the laws of nature and doomed to mortality? What does this intelligence have to offer? A game walk through. It's over in an instant. Hmm, choices...

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   
God is a human-like alien and he/they made us in his image. Simple explanation really, what's the fuss all about?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

captainradon

3NL1GHT3N3D1
The verse about being created in God's imageis extremely misinterpreted. Look in the mirror, you are created in God's image in that situation because you can see an image of yourself. We are created in God's image in the same way a painting is "created" when we look at it, we collapse the wave function. God's image is the image that we see and that image is the light of the world, it is the image of the invisible God and the light of life.

The image is what we see, we are the image because everything we experience is from the image we see. If everything we experience is part of the image then we are the image.

Interesting interpretation, but I was wondering: Given an image is formed by the contrast between an object and its surroundings, then if God is infinite and has no boundary, how can you get an "image" of God?
I think the problem lies in the translation of the Bible. What was the exact meaning of the Hebrew word(s) in Genesis that got translated into English as the word "image"?

Similarly, on the topic of God's person-hood, I'm wondering whether God can have a human-like personality at all, given his sheer magnitude. Let's face it, something did a fantastic job in setting up the universe as we see it, from the subatomic all the way up to the cosmic level- it all works together to support life. That's pretty smart, agree? Isaiah remarked- "For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways and thoughts are higher than yours."

But human intelligence is just a tool for survival, like teeth and claws. It lets us take what we need from the environment. But since God is always giving, giving, giving, in survival terms, that's just plain stupid. So God wouldn't register as an intelligent being, just a vast source of favours.

Perhaps there really are two Gods, as referred to in the Bible? A good God and a vengeful God?

The good God would be the original, mystical, inexplicable God who created the universe. Something that has no resemblance to humans, a greater force, creator of design and laws of the universe.

The vengeful God is merely an alien who came passing by Earth one day, saw a bunch of baboons and at some point, as the Sumerians say, did a few genetic modifications on the natives and produced an intelligent human workforce to work and serve Him...don't worry, it's all fully aligned with the account in Genesis.

We are basically mere slave machines, a slave race, if not serving our immediate creator then we are serving his deputies, the chosen people, the Jews.

Outlandish? Not at all, it makes perfect sense if you really think about it, or ancestors pointed to it, but now we have vastly more experience and awareness to understand what's really going on. We were created to serve, and 1% were created as the chosen people to rule over the other 99%, and that's exactly what we are experiencing today, unfortunately for 99% of us Sentient beings.

edit on 8-1-2014 by FrankPoster because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Remember 'The Lord, thy God is a jealous God...'

There are more than one of them? And he's 'jealous'? An omnipotent, omniscient super-being who has everything is jealous? Really?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   

solongandgoodnight
I appreciate this thread. I was just talking to my preacher the other day about how I no longer view God (purposely) in human terms, but rather something truly beyond my comprehension and grasp.

Then the question naturally arises, if something is truly beyond our comprehension on any level, does it even exist to us? It's hard to imagine something like that, which can't even be classified as a "thing." Something that when you try to think about it just produces a void in your mind. Like a color that doesn't exist. Or a number too big to calculate or represent.

Very possibly not. If "God" is ____________________. Then what?

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Maverick7
Remember 'The Lord, thy God is a jealous God...'

There are more than one of them? And he's 'jealous'? An omnipotent, omniscient super-being who has everything is jealous? Really?

Really, because you're not reading and understanding what you read in CONTEXT.

To put it in human terms - how would you feel or react if your spouse starts devoting his/her loyalty and love to others instead of you?

Might you be 'jealous' - even a bit?

Well, same thing with God in regards to His relationship with the nation of Israel. After they were freed from slavery in Egypt, they (the Israelites as a people) promised to God to serve, honor and be faithful to Him. In turn God said that He will make them his people if they obey his commandments.

The nation agreed. Thus as a warning, they were commanded not to serve any other gods but him alone for he is jealous as a loving husband.

That's what it meant by "a jealous God".

Now if you're not jealous if your spouse betray your love, then there's definitely something wrong with you.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by edmc^2

To put it in human terms - how would you feel or react if your spouse starts devoting his/her loyalty and love to others instead of you?

So he wants to be married to us? Isn't that asking for a bit much? I prefer the single life, thank you.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Maverick7

The notion that a supernatural super-entity along the lines of "God" would have needs of any kind -- even the need to create -- would tend to suggest that he/it is lacking in some way. Which is an inherent contradiction and paradox.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

AfterInfinity
reply to post by edmc^2

So he wants to be married to us? Isn't that asking for a bit much? I prefer the single life, thank you.

What ever you do, even before you do it. God knows, because you are a part of a much bigger happening than you can understand.

Our lives and Our future are already preplanned. We are the only once who dont know the future.

From day one since the Big Bang, everything have been going exactly according to Gods plan. Everything have evolved exactly at the right time.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Interesting thought. Not to mention it also raises the question. Where do HE reside? If we give him a personification that means that he must live somewhere . ( and I know the Bible says in his kingdom) but where would that be located? Another thing we couldnt possibly comprehend.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I don't think the big mistake is necessarily the personification of God, per se. This is just how humans try to cope with or relate to things. We've been doing it throughout our entire existence I reckon. Heck, I talk to my dog like he's a human!

Obviously a human God would not represent the Universe properly. However I would bet that intelligent, conscious beings from another planet have their own explanations for what the Source or Creator is.

I think the mistake is taking the word of the Bible's (or another religious text) account of God (and our creation) as literal, and completely forgetting (ignoring?) that this is an account of our existence rooted in symbolism.

Now, if we want to delve deeper, we can most certainly trace these religious accounts back to its origins. And I have a sneaking suspicion it'll take us back to the ancients, who had a completely different, and perhaps even a deeper understanding, of our existence.
edit on 8-1-2014 by PhotonEffect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Blue Shift

To me God is a force I do not understand.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Religions make God look like that even worst because its a man desire to use his name to spread fear so you fear the man thinking its HIM.It also leaves the idea why some claim he is true devil due so many characterizations and personality.

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The book of Enoch:

[Chapter 14]

1 The book of the words of righteousness, and of the reprimand of the eternal Watchers in accordance 2 with the command of the Holy Great One in that vision. I saw in my sleep what I will now say with a tongue of flesh and with the breath of my mouth: which the Great One has given to men to 3 converse therewith and understand with the heart. As He has created and given to man the power of understanding the word of wisdom, so hath He created me also and given me the power of reprimanding 4 the Watchers, the children of heaven. I wrote out your petition, and in my vision it appeared thus, that your petition will not be granted unto you throughout all the days of eternity, and that judgement 5 has been finally passed upon you: yea (your petition) will not be granted unto you. And from henceforth you shall not ascend into heaven unto all eternity, and in bonds of the earth the decree 6 has gone forth to bind you for all the days of the world. And (that) previously you shall have seen the destruction of your beloved sons and ye shall have no pleasure in them, but they shall fall before 7 you by the sword. And your petition on their behalf shall not be granted, nor yet on your own: even though you weep and pray and speak all the words contained in the writing which I have 8 written. And the vision was shown to me thus: Behold, in the vision clouds invited me and a mist summoned me, and the course of the stars and the lightnings sped and hastened me, and the winds in 9 the vision caused me to fly and lifted me upward, and bore me into heaven. And I went in till I drew nigh to a wall which is built of crystals and surrounded by tongues of fire: and it began to affright 10 me. And I went into the tongues of fire and drew nigh to a large house which was built of crystals: and the walls of the house were like a tesselated floor (made) of crystals, and its groundwork was 11 of crystal. Its ceiling was like the path of the stars and the lightnings, and between them were 12 fiery cherubim, and their heaven was (clear as) water. A flaming fire surrounded the walls, and its 13 portals blazed with fire. And I entered into that house, and it was hot as fire and cold as ice: there 14 were no delights of life therein: fear covered me, and trembling got hold upon me. And as I quaked 15 and trembled, I fell upon my face. And I beheld a vision, And lo! there was a second house, greater 16 than the former, and the entire portal stood open before me, and it was built of flames of fire. And in every respect it so excelled in splendour and magnificence and extent that I cannot describe to 17 you its splendour and its extent. And its floor was of fire, and above it were lightnings and the path 18 of the stars, and its ceiling also was flaming fire. And I looked and saw therein a lofty throne: its appearance was as crystal, and the wheels thereof as the shining sun, and there was the vision of 19 cherubim. And from underneath the throne came streams of flaming fire so that I could not look 20 thereon. And the Great Glory sat thereon, and His raiment shone more brightly than the sun and 21 was whiter than any snow. None of the angels could enter and could behold His face by reason 22 of the magnificence and glory and no flesh could behold Him. The flaming fire was round about Him, and a great fire stood before Him, and none around could draw nigh Him: ten thousand times 23 ten thousand (stood) before Him, yet He needed no counselor. And the most holy ones who were 24 nigh to Him did not leave by night nor depart from Him. And until then I had been prostrate on my face, trembling: and the Lord called me with His own mouth, and said to me: ' Come hither, 25 Enoch, and hear my word.' And one of the holy ones came to me and waked me, and He made me rise up and approach the door: and I bowed my face downwards.

[Chapter 15]

1 And He answered and said to me, and I heard His voice: 'Fear not, Enoch, thou righteous 2 man and scribe of righteousness: approach hither and hear my voice. And go, say to the Watchers of heaven, who have sent thee to intercede for them: "You should intercede" for men, and not men 3 for you: Wherefore have ye left the high, holy, and eternal heaven, and lain with women, and defiled yourselves with the daughters of men and taken to yourselves wives, and done like the children 4 of earth, and begotten giants (as your) sons? And though ye were holy, spiritual, living the eternal life, you have defiled yourselves with the blood of women, and have begotten (children) with the blood of flesh, and, as the children of men, have lusted after flesh and blood as those also do who die 5 and perish. Therefore have I given them wives also that they might impregnate them, and beget 6 children by them, that thus nothing might be wanting to them on earth. But you were formerly 7 spiritual, living the eternal life, and immortal for all generations of the world. And therefore I have not appointed wives for you; for as for the spiritual ones of the heaven, in heaven is their dwelling. 8 And now, the giants, who are produced from the spirits and flesh, shall be called evil spirits upon 9 the earth, and on the earth shall be their dwelling. Evil spirits have proceeded from their bodies; because they are born from men and from the holy Watchers is their beginning and primal origin; 10 they shall be evil spirits on earth, and evil spirits shall they be called. [As for the spirits of heaven, in heaven shall be their dwelling, but as for the spirits of the earth which were born upon the earth, on the earth shall be their dwelling.] And the spirits of the giants afflict, oppress, destroy, attack, do battle, and work destruction on the earth, and cause trouble: they take no food, but nevertheless 12 hunger and thirst, and cause offences. And these spirits shall rise up against the children of men and against the women, because they have proceeded from them

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Blue Shift

Maverick7

The notion that a supernatural super-entity along the lines of "God" would have needs of any kind -- even the need to create -- would tend to suggest that he/it is lacking in some way. Which is an inherent contradiction and paradox.

If you think in terms of humans, your logic is good.

However God is not human and has no mind or brain that thinks like humans.

'Veda' tell clearly about three 'swayambhu' or ever-present entities - 'prakriti' (matter), 'atma' (souls) and 'Ishwar' (god).

The creation and destruction of universe (visible matter is a combination of God's power with non-alive 'prakriti') follows a set pattern (like clock-work). After a certain time, the current universe will be destroyed, and then rise again after darkness lasting a pre-defined period.

There is a purpose to the Creation, and there is a purpose to human life. However humans have forgotten that purpose, and have become engrossed in pleasures and vice.

God is the Creator and the King who judges each soul, and awards results - good or bad to each. God is 'just'. God is 'kind' in the sense that God has given this creation to souls to live and evolve. However no 'karma' is forgiven. The Bible is wrong there. Each and every sin results in suffering for the soul.

edit on 8-1-2014 by GargIndia because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join