It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Aberree" magazine, a treasure trove of 1950s psychic, UFO, and Scientology-like data

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Aleister

My apologies, you are correct, this thread is about the magazine "Aberree" and the information contained within it. Which as you stated are written by "former and present members and associates of the Dianetics and Scientology", who are known to use brainwashing and thought control techniques in their writings:

Robert Lifton identifies eight features common to all forms of what he calls "ideological totalism," eight psychological themes common to an environment in which brainwashing is present: Milieu control, Mystical manipulation, The demand for purity, The cult of confession, The sacred science, Loading the language, Doctrine over person, and The dispensing of existence. Each of these features can be found in Scientology.

www.cs.cmu.edu...

The purpose of this paper is to show how mind control is used in Scientology. In order to do this, I have used the four components of mind control from Steve Hassan's Combatting Cult Mind Control: Behavior control, Emotional control, Thought control and Information control and have given examples of how Scientology uses each of these. I am assuming that the reader of this paper has read and is familiar with the concepts outlined in this book. This is not meant to be an exhaustive study of mind control techniques in Scientology, as that could fill an entire book! This is just to give you a start in getting an understanding of how mind control is used at the very beginning levels of Scientology. If a person gets more deeply involved, for instance, and gets into auditing, joins staff and/or does advanced courses, there is much more. I will be writing papers to deal with these issues. The techniques I discuss here, however, have proved quite sufficient, unfortunately, to get many people hooked into Scientology.

www.garloff.de...

I believe that perhaps some form of warning should be provided to anyone who might wish to read ANYTHING from ANYONE who is associated with such a group. I think it would be extremely irresponsible, if one is not provided a warning of possible mind-control/brainwashing materials being put forth anywhere from such a group. It can be dangerous. Even if such materials/articles may seem innocent and/or innocuous at first glance. But hey, that's just like, my opinion.

edit on 8-1-2014 by AutOmatIc because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 9 2014 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AutOmatIc

Agreed, which is why I make that clear in the OP. Thanks for the additional warning.

The website where the magazine archives are loaded is run by an anti-scientologist, and links to several anti-websites are provided there. The only stuff I know well in it are Schroeppel's articles, which are a mix of yoga, early scientology (not the later Xenu nonsense), and the best of other things he found. And because I knew he had published there, non-copyrighted like all their contributors, I thought people here might find some good information in other areas. The UFO material looks promising, for historical purposes, for instance. Information is free seems to be one of the magazine's guidelines, and the scientology organization would disagree with that principle of society, as they have tried to hide their high-level techniques and info. Aberree was published in a different spirit and a different time, and in a way it's like a time-capsule for historians interested in the era and the field to pick through.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Um, not sure I should be reading this thread... very interesting. Even more interesting is to learn of your interest

Cool. I highly recommend Scientology to any person. It amazingly helped me and many others to enjoy life more and succeed at life better.

posted on Jan, 23 2014 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Blister

I think much of the data and discoveries about the human mind and body in Scientology are good up until the point Hubbard played with Lds (ha) and went into his Xenu mode, thus derailing much of the good that he did in terms of reputation. Much like David Icke, his beneficial information can now easily be discredited with the smear brush. That said, the organization itself probably needs to change its approach to people, but I haven't kept track of it in many years so maybe it is trying to reform in some areas. My main connection to it was through Harold Schroeppel's history in early Scientology, and hearing of his experiences with Hubbard (he traveled with him to the lectures and worked with him and some of the other early founders on the techniques for two years during the formation period in he early- mid '50s). You may enjoy Schroeppel's articles in the magazine.

The thread was put up to point to a historical resource which contains much more than scientology data, a sort of FATE magazine but of a little higher quality of writing at certain points. I haven't gone through much of it, so I thought that by creating a thread that others could find some gems in there.
edit on 23-1-2014 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join