It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do I get torn apart for having Right-winged ideas?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by InverseLookingGlass

That's flipping hilarious!

Where can I get some of what you've got? Or do I have to go to Colorado?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by deadlyhope

Progressives/Liberals are open to new ideas and believe the ideal state has yet to be achieved, conservatives pick a past state and declare it ideal. I laugh when conservatives argue about which past state was ideal. Was it 50 years ago or 300 or 700? ROLMFAO. Talk to the Taliban about how conservative you are, I dare you.

Conservatives have been on the losing side of every issue for the last 2000 years:

The teachings of Christ vs the rabbis of the temple
blasphemy punished by death
Marriage for love instead of arranged marriage
slavery
civil rights
women voting
women in the workplace
women driving
women holding office
interracial marriage
supply side economics
banking deregulation
Glen Beck being sincere.

I might not be considering everything though, so if you have some examples of conservatives being correct. I'd be open to hearing that new information.

You forgot being awesome.

Progressives are totally super-duper awesome.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by deadlyhope

there is no left or right, they would have you believe there is, makes there job easier.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I just cannot fathom why people still pigeon-hole themselves as left or right.

Seems pretty closed minded to me, and seems an easy way to be controlled.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:10 PM
link   
For all of those that believe I shove myself into a far right corner and identify as only that, it's definitely not true. People get pissed at me when I debate more intelligent alternatives to our unemployment system, people get mad at me when I suggest some social issues should actually be voted on the state or county level rather than everything being decided by the Fed.

Also, there has been and will always be different parties when it comes on how to deal with many of today's issues, and many will be able to identify with one of said parties. I do not think it's the most important thing, but still believe it's essential to the way America SHOULD be, which we are far, far away from.

My opinion is that people of different political parties are more alike than they think, the media makes it seem different but I believe everyone with a good heart has just that in common. How they want to be altruistic is up to them. Our government right now is extremely anti altruistic on both sides, greed has nothing to do with political affiliation, I personally separate people into being generally good people, or being generally bad people.

Unfortunately, the bad people conned, lied, stole, killed, whatever they had to do to get to the top.

Long story short, I believe social/economical issues still hold importance as it's key to balancing America out. The biggest problem right now, , however, is good vs evil.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Hiya OP,

Some other persons in the thread have hit on it, but it's really just faulty logic and disingenuous debating tactics I often see in American politics. Perhaps you're unwittingly falling into it yourself?

Example:

deadlyhope
with people who talk so much about equality, why am I treated like crap?

It just seems in American politics that everyone thinks if you hold one opinion you must hold five other ones that align to left or right. If you're pro gay rights you must be pro censorship and pro choice. If you're deeply encouraging of religious freedom you must also want to ban condoms and cut all welfare spending.

I've had people go on the most ridiculous rants telling me more about my opinions and thoughts than I ever knew myself over a handful of throwaway statements. I used to dismiss these people entirely, and sometimes you should when there is no talking to them but I've learnt something here at ATS in particular ...

Sometimes people are just speaking a different language. I consider left and right to be different concepts to some degree because I'm European, and sometimes it's literally having to remind yourself to stop, ask what the person you're talking to means when they say a word, and then explaining what you mean. The same applies to people's definitions of even simple words like 'racism' and 'prejudice'. Many persons actually consider these to be different words entirely.

I've met some friends this way on ATS who I otherwise would have missed out on with the bipartisan nonsense. My mind has changed, their mind has changed ... You can't always get past a bipartisan person's guard to get them to see the real you, and sometimes you're just so offended by the domino effect logic of them judging you that you become that person yourself, but trying isn't half the battle, it is the battle.

P.S: Stars for DocScurlock and other persons in the thread who I totally agree with, right and left in America are political parties, they shouldn't be your political stances.
edit on 7-1-2014 by Pinke because: PS

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join