It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hundreds of Lebanese protest in anger over burning of Christian library.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Angry Lebanese protest over attack on priest's library.

Tripoli (Lebanon) (AFP) - Hundreds of Lebanese took to the streets of the northern city of Tripoli on Saturday to protest the torching of a decades-old library owned by a Greek Orthodox priest.

The demonstrators held up banners that read "Tripoli, peaceful town"...

The attack came a day after "a pamphlet was discovered inside one of the books at the library that was insulting to Islam and the prophet Mohammad," the official said at the time. Later, however, "it became clear the priest had nothing to do with the pamphlet," said the same source. "Then on Friday night, the library was torched," he added.

Sectarian violence involving the city's Christians has been extremely rare in recent years. But Friday's incident comes amid a backdrop of growing religious radicalism in Lebanon related to the war in neighbouring Syria.

Dont think its a coincidence that these incidents are on the rise as Western backed radicals from Iraq to Egypt are responsible for tension and violence where none previously existed.

Impossible to know who was really behind this.

Seems like theres a handful of people in a couple of governments who are keen on starting civil wars within the ME to justify even more violence and intervention.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Burning a library over a pamphlet found in a book... Savages.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   
reply to post by gladtobehere

I do think its time these conscienceless meddlers were brought out into the open, shamed, punished personally and made to pay retribution for their hideous crimes. These are people at the top of governments and their various services, so living a luxurious lifestyle, whilst the victims of their actions, many injured, sick having lost everything they owned are now living in tents and suffering, whilst these meddlers sip their champagne.

What really gets me is not the stupid mentality of the people who carry out so-called religious hate crimes its the fact that once religion is introduced to men, they are so easily led by the nose into doing things, they would hate, were those acts carried out against their own family members. I honestly believe that religious teachings need to be thoroughly examined and changed so that they actually improve harmony and helpfulness and do away with their destructiveness and murderous meanness altogether.

Do as you would be done by is an ancient belief and is all religion needs to instil in each heart it touches.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   

My God its 2014 and Humanity is still managing to ignore all superior logic and common sense by burning what essentially amounts to our own knowledge and history!

Will this bull crap never end!

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Impossible to know who was really behind this.

I have an idea, check my sig.
Divide and conquer, the oldest tool in the book.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I was thinking that the problem that gets high lighted here, a "Christian" library... Isn't right.

As the people coexist in peace in the country, with no real history of hate between religious followers.
But...
It make sense that others take advantage of the issue, to support their own fight against another religion.
It is an assumption that many will believe.

However... The problem was a flyer in a book.

Some people really get pissed, when they see their religion gets some bashing, or even gets bashed at all.
Since people often have a hard time controlling their emotions... Someone lost it and burned the whole building down.

They could have just burned the book... But when their isn't a fire place around... Lighting a flame wouldn't be the best way to burn a book. Lighting the curtains, seems like a logical next step, to reach their goal.

So...

Since all people should be a little less paranoid, I suggest that we try to look at the situation first.

Is their proof that it was a hate crime ? Or was it just a hot tempered individual, who would have burned any other building, instead of this one. Trying to destroy the source of his emotional state of mind ?

I'm not saying that it's not an extreme measure though. I'm saying that it's not okay to blame it on religious hate without a doubt.
It will cause more tension, and that's something you should try to prevent. Don't you agree ?
The people are already letting themselves being pushed and divided, by lies and deceit.

If we ever want to free ourselves from this form of control, we must start by being skeptic of any news they tell us.
The words of that priest aren't a trustworthy neutral source, imo For all I know, that priest mocked the person and his believes, after they complained. Causing the conflict to get out of hand.
Maybe the one that did it, had a psychotic mental issue.

You can see how fast a small incident escalates into a big one. With only the info given here, there are to many blanks to fill.
But people crowd together and protest immediately.

I won't make religious hate bigger then it is, only one part of the story.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Burning even a book in anger is stupid.

Believe it or not, Lebanon used to be a modern, secular country more like Turkey pre-Erdogan. Then the power balance shifted, and it became the place we all know today.

But this isn't that far from the mentality that will shoot a 14-year-old girl in the head because she wants to get an education.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

But this isn't that far from the mentality that will shoot a 14-year-old girl in the head because she wants to get an education.

An extremist government or an individuals religious hate crime, aren't even closely related, and the comparison is ridiculous.

The hate crimes committed by another extremist group in the country, against the individual hate crime.
Is not a good comparison either.

Basically you say that burning down a library is as normal as murdering a 14 year old, with their mentality.
Enlighten me please on what you think that is so different in the mentality US citizens.
Murder, torture and abuse of people, happens there to.

The reasons people or governments use to explain their motives might be different. Blaming peoples mentality is discrimination, and aimed at the M-E only it might be racist even.

Edit:

I agree by the way, that it's stupid to burn a book. However, not so long ago western society burned books as well.
We still ban them these days.

edit on 1/7/2014 by Sinter Klaas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   

And yet if a koran is burned they murder christians even though muhammed never heard the voice of god and never had the holy spirit in him but supposedly recieved his guidence from the angel gabriel, married a six year old whose hair fell out after the wedding night (god love the poor kid - Aisha the rose of damascus) and expressed an interest in a infant whom could not walk yet, promised his men the persian woman would lie on there backs for them to RAPE and many other things that are so alien to the christian way that these two relgions can never co exist, remember the Syria, Lebanon, and Jordan as well as palestine and most of that part of the world were christian countrys that were invaded and subjugatet, it is a militant religion and one that preaches war and bloodshed, moderates claim otherwise but if you look at its history the moderates are the new version.

top topics

join