It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Like lets say you found yourself in a NK work camp, what would you do? Would you try and escape?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

not bad sounds like guerrilla tactic. As for me I'd do the lone wolf thing like the dude. I'd try and get a hold of a guard uniform and stash that. Then I'd wait until and opportunity to perhaps stash it somewhere near a fence. I'd wait for an opportune time to be sent out to do something or work somewhere near where I have it stashed. Then I'd change outfits and hop the fence. The only challenge might be if it's an electric fence. I'd figure out a way to either go threw by cutting a hole, or digging under it, or climbing over it. I'd do it at night wearing the guard uniform. Then I'd just slowly stroll away. once I'm far enough away from there I'd either follow the road or rail road going into the place. But I'd stay off the road into the wild and just walk paralell to it. I'd focus on traveling by night and sleeping by day. Eventually if I could find a river I'd follow that. Maybe eventually find a boat and take that down river. Again just travelling at night. Eventually when I got to the nearby town I'd only stay for long enough to get some food and rest. Then I'd continue onto a few more towns until I'm far enough out that it would be hard for them to find me. From that point on it shouldn't be reasonable that you could potentially make it into south Korea and from there even other places. Eventually I'd make my way to the south of france where I'd marry a beautiful woman and live a life of comfort and luxury. So as you can clearly see my careful planning and covert opps training would pay off for me in the end.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   

TheOneElectric
I laughed at your post pretty damn hard. Thanks, chap. You've really riled me up in a jolly ol' manner.

Seriously? It all depends on how one got in the situation in the first place. Because I don't have that information, I can't answer. Am I a Kryptonian who fell from space into N.Korea fully grown and not adjusted to yellow sunlight? Am I a time traveler who's lost and sporting an American flag hologram across his clothing? Am I a secret agent sent to spy on them? I don't have enough information.

I do have a question for you though.

What would you do if I told you that making another "What would you do?" thread would result in your immediate ban from this site?

There is no harm in it, Electric. Yeah, we get a lot of them from this individual, but we do not need to feel obliged to read. Big up yourself, rise above, rise against. Missed you lately.

Back to the op,
I wouldn't have been born in NK since I chose to be me. I had no desire to return as a starving animator for western cartoons.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Merely escaping unjust imprisonment would be an option. But unjust imprisonment is not all that is alleged to happen in such a place.

I have a highly developed (some might say over developed) sense of justice. If I had seen people die of starvation, executed for essentially no reason, entire families victimised over idealism, then I would not be able to accept mere escape. I would however kill as many guards as I could before being killed myself.

There are two main reasons for this. Unexpressed anger, unreleased rage is bad for ones digestion, that is one reason. The other, is that no matter how powerful an oppressor is, there must always come a time when consequences befall that oppressor. Whether those consequences fall upon lackeys or generals depends on circumstance, but fall they do in time.

One would assume that such an endeavour would be short lived, but you have to consider that prison camps on the scale that we are told are in North Korea, are not run by overwhelming numbers of guards, but on fear. Given that, I would expect to be able to quietly knock off at least two or three bastards before my activities were discovered, and maybe a couple more after that, assuming I had learned any useful lessons during the first few killings. More than that would be overly ambitious, since even if I snagged a guards weapon, it is likely that using a firearm to stalk the guards would merely give away my position.

I could not, if I had been in a prison camp, rely on my ability to overcome more than five guards using quiet methods, due to the punishment such an existence would inflict upon my body and state of physical readiness. I suppose if I played the long game, and managed to learn to evade the troops and use the terrain to my advantage, draw them out into wilder places, avoiding kill zones around the perimeter, push a few bastards a day off a cliff, set traps, make diversions... MAYBE I could make a horrid mess numbers wise.

But mostly, I would go for making as many bastards pay as possible, before getting made dead.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 06:45 PM
link   
An NK work camp? I would find the quickest path to suicide and take it. There are some fates worse than death, and that is most definitely the case here.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I would work my butt off, make suggestions for increased productivity until I was slowly promoted through the ranks until I became Minister of all the North Korean Work Camps. From there, as a trusted adviser of Un, I would impress all of the other advisers and military officials until they trusted every word that fell from my lips.

Then I'd stage a military coup and free everybody from the work camps.

P.S. Being of nordic descent, I'll need facial reconstruction and hair dye to accomplish this.
edit on 6/1/14 by WhiteAlice because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Rationally speaking I think I would realize my chances of a successful escape are slim-to-nil, so my only hope would be to be able to take a guard with me when my time is up. A simple sharpened stick or sliver of wood to the neck would do the trick.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 07:58 PM
link   
My understanding is that many of the members in these camps have family back in NK that would be murdered if they were to try and escape.

Also you are asking people that haven't grown up in NK to state what they would do if they were in one of these. My mentality is not the same as those people. I grew up in the country where I knew how to read/write at an early age and had my own shotgun and how to use it. I have been surrounded by independence and free spirits since I was a child. I don't understand even Americans half the time because of growing up away from people exercising independent thought. My childhood and life have been far different than men/women in NK.

Either way for these people they don't try to escape for the same reason Americans don't just stop paying taxes. We as humans are trained little doggies and if the master threatens our families it's even worse.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I would rather be eaten by 120 starving dogs than have to set foot in that country, but if I found myself there in a work camp, I would tell a guard to please pass along this message to Kim Un: "Congratulations Kim Un, You are now the most prolific idiot in the entire world for constantly showing the entire world very idiotic baby tantrums when your toy weapons get broken, and you are the sickest kind of filth that exists. Your uncle comes out smelling like a bouquet of flowers compared to the awful smell you emit. People can smell you overseas you stink so bad."

Actually as soon as I found myself there, I would try to kill the first person I found wearing a uniform and continue on until death found me.
edit on 6-1-2014 by alienreality because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

It's good to be back. I've missed you and the d̶y̶s̶f̶u̶n̶c̶t̶i̶o̶n̶a̶l̶ ̶ ATS family as well. Once a conspiracy theorist, always a conspiracy theorist.

Yeah, I'm just teasing the guy. He's making these threads all in good fun. It's his way of finding enjoyment and maybe catching a relief from the world at large. Who am I to judge?

Honest answer to the OP's question: I'd either stop and sit Zazen or force them to shoot me immediately. If the American government knew that I was there, I would be a good prisoner and wait until Dennis Rodman came to the rescue.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Hi OP - According to this short essay no American POW escaped from North Vietnam and reached friendly forces and most of them were trained - so what makes you think Joe Schmo (especially the 'net warrior types) would successfully escap N.K prison camp? Better hope you're important enough to negotiate for.
edit on 6-1-2014 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:23 PM
link   

spartacus699
Lets say you found yourself in a North Korean work camp, what would you do? Would you try and escape? What if you're family was also in the work camp would you try and escape anyway even if you had to leave them behind? How would you escape? Where would you go from there?

I'm currently reading Escape From Camp 14 and it is absolutely freakin horrible. It's beyond any horror story I've read before. I'm only able to read a few pages at a time and then I have to put it down and let my mind rest awhile.

When you read the story your able to understand the psychology behind why it really is better if your going to escape, just go. The people born in the camps may be related by blood but that's where it ends. They're conditioned from birth through pain of torture or death to be snitches on everyone including all family members. And family members do not live like family members. They view each other as competitors for food. They're treated like animals and they treat each other as such.

So in answer to your question, If I were in a NK prison camp what would I do? Escape, alone, don't look back. Put as much distance between me and that pit of hell on Earth as humanly possible. How would I do that? On foot through the mountains and live on next to nothing because if you've just escaped from a NK prison camp your already conditioned to near starvation and so it would not be nearly as bad a hardship as you might think.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Wow....i am an idiot??
I must be an idiot....I have slept in thunder storms on purpose,slept in sub zero temperatures,spent a few weeks alone in the woods....but I am an idiot??
I have pictures to prove it....what have you done??

All the what ifs....I have dealt with for real kiddo.

edit on 6-1-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Octave

you got a good point, you'd be use to hunger

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:55 PM
link   

DrumsRfun

Wow....i am an idiot??
I must be an idiot....I have slept in thunder storms on purpose,slept in sub zero temperatures,spent a few weeks alone in the woods....but I am an idiot??
I have pictures to prove it....what have you done??

All the what ifs....I have dealt with for real kiddo.

edit on 6-1-2014 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

woooo you spent a few weeks alone in the woods. That makes you a survival master doesn't it. Especially with all that gear and food to keep you going. Anyone could do that. And ya I've done something similar many times. It's nothing. Those aren't survival scenarios. It's backwoods camping. Generally you leave you car a short hike away. There's no survival there? Hardly anyone has been in a real survival scenario anymore in this modern world. No one knows what it really is anymore. I suppose that's a good thing. All we're left with is to run "what if" scenarios which feeds our reptilian mind. Besides why do you have to pess and moan about my thread? I'm talking about a real life incident that happened to a real person.
edit on 6-1-2014 by spartacus699 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 04:36 AM
link   
you would have to know where you are, first.

but then again, die inside or outside.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:12 AM
link   
It is very easy to escape in the DPRK, the escape grows freely along roadsides.

Seriously though, I would watch others trying to escape and learn from their mistakes. Maybe kill a guard and steal his uniform?

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Be the most lazy aSS pathetic worker ever! They will want to release me!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join