It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ADHD a fake disorder, neurologist-turned-author says

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Yes but the real issue here is language and how words are being used to distort things. A gene does not make a person alcoholic. Different people have different genes and the most we can say is that some might be more susceptible to various factors in the world around them. A person with different genes might go for coc aine but that does not mean genes cause coc aine addiction.

As for adhd. From reading about the symptoms of it I suspect that being hyper etc. is a kind of longing for order and creativity. As if someone is in the wrong situation and needs to find a creative solution to their lives.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by webedoomed

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

I did not say there was a gene for alcoholism. I said there was a gene which increases susceptibility to addiction. That is different. Yes it's a distinction, but an important one. People get addicted to many different things. Not everyone with the gene will experience addiction, just as not everyone who carries the DNA for Cystic Fibrosis will develop it. Again, if it wasn't real then people wouldn't be investing money in methods to keep it from expressing.

As for the rest of what you said, the pattern of behavior one exhibits when drunk has nothing to do with DNA. Frankly, that sounded more like you were trying to convince yourself of something.
edit on 10-1-2014 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Krazysh0t

Attention Deficit Disorder = Won't obediantly absorb propaganda like a good little slave, so we put them on psychotropics to prevent potential troublemakers to the status quo of the total global slavery system.

posted on Jan, 10 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

antonia
reply to post by webedoomed

As for the rest of what you said, the pattern of behavior one exhibits when drunk has nothing to do with DNA. Frankly, that sounded more like you were trying to convince yourself of something.

Seriously?

I'm in complete disagreement here.

Not even sure how you could begin to say something like that with certainty!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Wow! I can soooo identify with those of you saying what living with 'ADHD' is like. My life is littered with incomplete tasks. I find it so hard to do things that bore me and get so easily distracted by something else, but give me a project I am interested in and it will take me over. I am also a perfectionist and need a time limit to actually complete something or it never will be done to my satisfaction. If I somewhere where there is a lot of people talking I find it so hard to concentrate on what someone is saying to me as I am picking up on so many other things. I also do this with people's mental states particularly zoning in to people who are distressed. Suppose I have always known I didn't seem to be like many others I met and was a bit different and used to be very anxious.

I have never been diagnosed with this but seem to have found a way to live with it and certainly never previously considered this. I used to have a big problem with zoning out totally when faced with boredom either finding it impossible to stay awake or stimulating myself by being the class clown. And I have to say that I have found stimulants very helpful in counteracting this. At the advanced age of 59 I actually feel quite blessed and realise that I have an enhanced ability to be able to stand back from situations and see all sides to an argument and generally the 'bigger picture'.

I also want to make the observation of how we live today being so different to 50 odd years ago. We now seem to expect both parents to work so how can we possibly give our children the time and attention they need. The last thing we can cope with after a hard days work is an active child and endless questions. Result - inability for parents to cope and medication of said child!

Also, what child today walks miles to get to school or is allowed to go off and play in the woods. We are kept in fear of a bogeyman around every corner and want to keep our children close. When I was a kid I used to roam for miles (not that I was actually allowed to but still did) and spent many happy hours knee deep in ponds etc. How many kids these days live in an environment where they can do this, the streets are a very different environment! Also there was a time when children were seen as an economic necessity to help with food production etc and we're not expecting to sit in front of a box with moving pictures and keep out of exhausted parents hair. This is still the case in parts of the world - do they identify ADHD? I suspect not but am about to wander off into cyber land to see if I can find out.

Raising children was once much more of a tribal or extended family affair - now we all live in our little boxes and most of us have little experience of children until we have them and can have very unrealistic ideas of what parenthood is really like. And now we live in a society that values the accumulation of money and we humans are so good at exploiting every situation to do so. Result - the drug industry! Do NOT underestimate their power and the drive to produce more and more pills to 'fix' things when time is so expensive.

There are so many different factors at work here and humans seem to think there is only ONE cause for everything - this is totally illogical when you really think about it?

Other things that may have a bearing on the topic - maybe it is due to the process of evolution and therefore very normal. Society's structure needs time to evolve with it but most people find change very stressful and when do humans agree on anything, as this and most threads on ATS show?

Right off to Africa, cyber speaking!

posted on Jan, 12 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   
And I've killed a thread again.

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Krazysh0t

Zero: That’s the percent of children suffering from attention deficit and hyperactivity disorder, a neurologist said in his new book, “ADHD Does Not Exist: The Truth About Attention Deficit and Hyperactivity Disorder.”

ADHD a fake disorder, neurologist-turned-author says

So this neurologist wrote a book about ADHD and in it, he says that the disorder doesn't exist.

he’s come to one conclusion: ADHD is only a collection of symptoms, not a disease or disorder in itself.

If this doesn't drive home that this disease was made up by the pharmaceutical companies to make more money, I don't know what will. This is probably the worst over diagnosed disease in this country and according to this guy (a neurologist I must stress), it isn't even a real disorder.

Go ahead and read the article (it isn't very long).

You know, God forbid that parents actually take responsibility for their children misbehaving. It just HAS to be some sort of mental disorder. What a crock. I apparently have ADD according to some doctor back when I was a teenager. I can function just fine and would prefer not to be medicated into boringness to overcome it.

The thought that many medications are over-prescribed is DEFINITELY a valid one. But, in this case, the condition is real. Rx's for ADD/ADHD definitely do not cause "boringness". I personally know people who have been diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, and with the medication prescribed they have nice results.
edit on 13-1-2014 by capone1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
I've often wondered if ADHD is related at all to being raised with commercial television?
For a thought:

Think about watching a sitcom - you are "trained" to a point to focus on the show for 4 - 10 minutes, then are "treated" to 3 or 4 different sales pitches. Those commercials.. each one different than the other... if you watch them, think of how many different ways your brain is focussed in a short amount of time.

Then, back to the "show" or "task" at at hand.

Think of how much commercial tv has played in the entertainment portions of a few of us.
How entrained our brains have become to focus, but only for short amounts of time.

Is there any relationship of the two?

posted on Jan, 18 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsEvolutionBaby

I don't think so. I had a rough life growing up, never much a chance to watch much TV, and don't think it has anything to do with the affliction to be honest. I've grown since childhood to also not wanting to watch much TV. I am lucky if I watch a few hours a week No.. I think it's a medical condition caused by an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.

I don't bear much hate for those who proclaim they know this is "fake." After all, supposed learned individuals were positive the world was flat, and then positive we were the center of the universe, and so on. People are ignorant, even smart people.

posted on Jan, 19 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

Thanks for your reply - just trying to make connections in this loaded world of info and disinfo.
Wishing you the best with all of it.

Also wondered - when are lives are out of synch how can our bodies not be as well?

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2014 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Reading this thread gave me ADD

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join