It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Father loses 40 pounds to save baby's life

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
[wasn't sure if this is the right forum to post this]
[Also, I did a search and nothing came up, the story is from December 31, if it's a double post apologies]

Eduardo Camargo's youngest daughter, Jazlyn, was born with a condition called biliary atresia that left her needing a liver transplant. Camargo didn't' want his daughter to have to wait for a donor, so he went to doctors to see if he could give the 5-month old part of his liver. Doctors told him he needed to lose weight.

I've heard friends and family members complain about how difficult it is to lose weight, and I often tell them, "it's just your will power, it's your motivation, you lack both" I often get a bit overweight myself and once it gets too noticeable I start to eat differently and I hold off on the fattier unhealthy foods, and that is difficult because those are the foods that are the most delicious.

When the life of someone you love is on the line though, getting the motivation and will power is easy. My hat goes off to this man for pushing himself and keeping his daughter first in his thoughts.

Father loses 40 pounds to save baby's life
edit on 6/1/14 by JAK because: URL correction

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Your link doesn't work (for me at least) but you are correct. The right motivation can do wonders.

Not understanding that part where it talks about him giving "part" of his liver. She does not need a complete new liver and they can make one off part of her dad's? I can see how it is possible because shes an infant but the idea of using part of a liver to make one is a bit muddy (the technical application).

Will check back to see if the links up, very interested in this.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Majestic Lumen

That's a great story.

Indirectly you can motivate yourself to lose weight so you can be there for your kids, wife or even friends by staying healthier and able to do more things.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Lostmymarbles
Your link doesn't work (for me at least) but you are correct. The right motivation can do wonders.

Not understanding that part where it talks about him giving "part" of his liver. She does not need a complete new liver and they can make one off part of her dad's? I can see how it is possible because shes an infant but the idea of using part of a liver to make one is a bit muddy (the technical application).

Will check back to see if the links up, very interested in this.

If they transplant a part of a liver into someone, the liver will regrow itself. It only takes a piece for you to grow a whole liver. The donor will regenerate their liver back to full size, and the recipient will also get a full sized liver in the end, as well.

Wish all organs did that lol

Liver Regeneration

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lostmymarbles

The article was short, but Jomina was kind enough to explain a bit and post a link explaining liver regeneration.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Metallicus
reply to post by Majestic Lumen

That's a great story.

Indirectly you can motivate yourself to lose weight so you can be there for your kids, wife or even friends by staying healthier and able to do more things.

That is true, being healthy ensures being able to enjoy what life is really about, spending time with loved ones, partaking in all sorts of memorable activities, those are the priceless treasures and fortunes that money can't buy!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

Wow, I did not know the liver could do that and that is awesome that it can do that though seeing the process would be interesting as well. For some reason I thought the liver had a hollow spot which is probably why I had a difficult time in picturing the process.

*Face Palm*

And yes, it would be super super awesome if all organs could do this.

new topics

top topics

join