It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Modern Day America-Why you DON'T call the cops to come help; (gotta read this one)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+26 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Parents call police for help, cops show up and kill their 18-year-old son

Two North Carolina parents are in shock after local police shot and killed their 18-year-old son in their own home, while they watched helplessly.

The family called police because they were worried about their son, Keith Vidal, who is schizophrenic and suffers from depression, according to local news. Vidal, armed with a small screwdriver, was apparently having a psychotic episode. Mark Wilsey, Vidal’s father, called the authorities to help deal with the situation.

SOURCE: dailycaller.com...

STOP RIGHT THERE! Now, what is the worst thing you can think could happen if this was going on in your home..... (I'll wait a few moments". Now, go read the whole article..... I look forward to hearing what you have to say.

For me. Another example of how in the last 20 years, or so, Policing in America has gone from one side of the pengulium to the other. They, collectively, Are Not Your Friends Nor Are They There To Help You! Remember that.
I don't want to write more yet as not to spoil you from reading the story.

I have been gone from ATS for over a year or so and upon coming back, I see a lot of the same issues going on, but worse. This one being one of them. What are we to do, as a society in whole. If we don't start standing up to brutal authority, you will be under their boots.

[SNIP]

edit on 1/6/2014 by anon72 because: Edit for pics and clean up

edit on 7-1-2014 by Gemwolf because: Snipped off-topic political jab

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:27 PM
link   
This doesn't sound right at all.

According to Wilsey, Vidal was pinned on the ground by two of the officers when a third said, “we don’t have time for this,” and shot Vidal, killing him.

Also, this sounds a lot like this incident last year: woodstock.patch.com...

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   
After reading the rest of the story, it's even worse. The family is destroyed all because the officers "didn't have time". I had to double-take that part. Also, the fact that this 18 year old kid was only 90 pounds is really sad, he clearly had some issues.

Now, we all know the cops will get off with a slap on the wrist. I agree though, don't call the cops when you need help these days.

edit on 6-1-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I thought I had already seen this or was having a serious case of deja vu but then I found this.

A Georgia family claims they called 911 in order to get medical help for a member of the family suffering an adverse reaction to diabetes medication.

But instead of an ambulance, the dispatcher sent two police officers, who proceeded to shoot and kill the 43-year-old Jack Lamar Roberson in front of his mother and fiance.

Read more: dailycaller.com...

It would seem I had seen this before only it was a different case but very similar. Family calls for help with their mentally disturbed child and cops come in and kill them.

What the heck is going on in this country with cops?!?! I have never in my life been afraid of law enforcement until recently. Call me paranoid but I swear it seems cops are taser and trigger happy now a days. So many become cops that clearly shouldn't be. Whatever happened to handling the situation without violence? I've known many cops and they were decent people but you have those out there that give the good ones a bad name. It seems like anyone can become a cop now and it's scary because so many power hungry idiots become cops and then you have situations like these happening.

The story you posted... The kid was 90 lbs!! These two cops couldn't take down a 90lb teenager with a screwdriver? They had to kill him?! I'm sorry but it is clear they can't handle the job nor the position. I think more mental screenings should be done on law enforcement because clearly there isn't enough.

People should not fear calling for help!! I know now when I see a cop behind me I get nervous. I NEVER had that happen before. I'm not doing anything illegal but I have seen enough situations to know that you don't have to be doing anything wrong for them to go on a power trip. I have had a few instances where I was harassed while being pulled over and all three were bogus reasons as to why they pulled me over. I found it odd that those three situations where I was pulled over for no real reason other than their made up ones are the times i was harassed. All the other times i was pulled over and ticketed were legit. I have only had a few tickets for speeding or a broken tail light but those three times where I was clearly being harassed I wasn't too happy and I was slightly freaked out. I mean who was I going to call?!?

This teenager did not have to die. Those cops should be charged with murder and locked up.

+4 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

According to Wilsey, Vidal was pinned on the ground by two of the officers when a third said, “we don’t have time for this,” and shot Vidal, killing him.

Vidal had just turned 18, and weighed a mere 90 pounds.

Ok, the first two officers were at least restraining him, as they should have. The third did nothing more than blatant malicious murder. There needs to be some sort of public outcry to have him charged just like anyone else would be for murdering a defenseless person in cold blood.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:40 PM
link   

~Lucidity

This doesn't sound right at all.

Also, this sounds a lot like this incident last year: woodstock.patch.com...

My jaw dropped at that statement.

They didn't have TIME!! What?! So their reasoning was to kill this person because they didn't have time. Well there are clearly in the wrong line of work.

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:42 PM
link   
It used to be that anyone wanting to be a cop genuinely wanted to help people in most cases.

Now it seems that the megalomaniacs, egocentrics, power trippers, cruel and malicious, psychotic members of a society are the only ones with a badge and gun.

Damn I hate cops. I'll protect myself before calling any to my door. Less violence that way and my dog will survive the encounter.

Peace

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

Here is another link.
Family says officers shot and killed son...

It says the family just recently lost a daughter to a car wreck. I can't fathom what they are going through right now.

edit on 6-1-2014 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheLieWeLive

Wow, and there is a live feed. Looks like there is some outrage over this, GOOD.
edit on 6-1-2014 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I surround myself with good friends that I can count on for help way more than I can the police.

I haven`t called the police in years. See lots going down and just can't bring myself to trust them to do the right thing anymore. Ever spend time listening to them on a scanner? They're like the weatherman, getting things right about half the time.

+23 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Sad statistic....

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I'm at a loss for words on this one...

While I hate second guessing officer actions when im not present (and not having all the info), my thoughts based on the info in the article Is this action cannot be justified. If they had him pinned then the officer should have tried to secure the screwdriver and then cuff the guy.

The only thing I could see changing the situation would be if the kid was actively stabbing / attempting to stab one of the officers. I don't see anything like that in the article however. I am also curious if any of the officers had tasers. While pinned, the guy could have been tased with an extended cycle in order to gain control as well. (Taser use is generally supported by someone with lethal force).

I am curious to see how this one plays out since the 3 officers present are all from different agencies.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Badges ARE REDCOATS..

None with HONOR and INTEGRITY would wear one today. "just following orders" is about the extent of intellectual capacity that is available.

If you call the cops to your home, good luck with that.

How many greivances are necessary before the country treats cops as they deserve.

LIKE REDCOATS!

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
So the question has to become this...why did the parents call the cops in the first place? If he wasn't really that bad of a threat, why take the time to call the police?

Are they now trying to downplay the psychotic episode?

They said he was only 18 years-old and Schizophrenic, the parents obviously knew he was prone to psychotic episodes and in North Carolina, there are two places they could send him for help, Dorothea Dix and Camp Buttner.

It doesn't seem rational for parents to become so frightened that they call the police for help, if the boy was not that threatening. Obviously he was very dangerous if his parents felt that unsafe. The police would have sent him to one of those places, but they didn't. And if two policemen were restraining him, that means he was more than just psychotic.

A lady in the building I live at had a psychotic episode and this little lady of 90 pounds fought off three policemen, two firemen and two paramedics. When they finally got her on the gurney she broke the gurney straps. The police here didn't shoot her. So there must have been something more going on with this kid that his parents don't want to talk about, after all, they are the ones who felt threatened enough to call the police in the first place.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   

According to Wilsey, Vidal was pinned on the ground by two of the officers when a third said, “we don’t have time for this,” and shot Vidal, killing him

Sounds like murder, premeditated.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

Yes, something more was going on in this case. The cops simply "didn't have time" for it so they shot him. It's a good thing your neighbor wasn't shot dead, it's a miracle actually the way the cops are acting these days.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by anon72

I usually try to take the view that the Police are generally a force for good with a small percentage of bad among them.

But this! Bloody shocking.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   

WarminIndy
So the question has to become this...why did the parents call the cops in the first place? If he wasn't really that bad of a threat, why take the time to call the police?

Because society in general has been indoctrinated into believing that this is what you do. You call the police to deal with any problem that falls outside of every day living skills.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Absolutely disgusting. Sometimes I wonder how far we have to be pushed before we start pushing back. Checkpoints at the road, cops killing innocent people, strip searches, unlawful searches... A failed healthcare system is being put in place that will hurt America, leaders wanting to go to wasteful wars killing innocent men, women and children.

I mean seriously, I just have to shake my head. My hearts go out to all the parents involved.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   

whyamIhere

Sad statistic....

Isn't that technically domestic terrorism?

Its said they're there to "serve and protect" but who are they serving and what are they protecting?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join