posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:22 AM
For conspiracy speculation ... an oldie but a goodie ... Superman George Reeves.
Murder conspiracy or suicide? Questions and speculation remain.
The Players -
George Reeves ... Superman star. Shot to death. Ruled suicide. Divorced. Involved in long affair with Toni Mannix while she was married to Eddie
Mannix. Everyone knew about the affair. He dumped Toni Mannix for a younger woman named Lenore Lemmon. Reeves died of gunshot to the head three
days before he was to marry Lenore.
Toni Mannix ... Former Ziegfeld Follies showgirl 8 Years older than Reeves. Had long affair with him. She worried about 'younger women' and the
affair ended when Reeves met younger Lenore Lemmon. Toni was said to be possessive, protective, and jealous.
Eddie Mannix ... husband of Toni Mannix. MGM Producer. MUCH older than Toni. Died four years after Reeves and his wife ended their long affair.
Lenore Lemmon... Divorced. Quickly entered into a relationship with Reeves and became engaged to him. Also said to be possessive, protective, and
jealous. Was in the home the night of the death.
Carol Von Ronkle ... Guest at the home the night of the death.
William Bliss ... Guest at the home the night of the death.
Robert Condon ... Guest at the home the night of the death.
Other information -
- George Reeves Last Will left everything to Toni Mannix. His fiance wasn't mentioned.
- Other bullet holes were found around the death room.
- Reeve had a volatile relationship with both women.
- Toni Mannix was known to stalk Reeves after their affair ended.
The Mysterious Death of Superman - George Reeves
The Guardian - The Mysterious Death of George Reeves
- No fingerprints were found on the gun.
- There were no powder burns on the head wound, which would imply the gun was held several inches from the head at the time it was fired. This is
unusual for a suicide. The victim usually has the gun held directly against the head.
- His hands were not tested for gunpowder residue, so that's no help one way or the other.
- The spent shell was found under his body. How could that have happened?
- Other bruises were found on his body. How did they get there?
- The gun was found between his feet. In nearly all suicides involving a gun, where it falls is usually consistent. If the victim is sitting or
standing, it falls to his or her feet. If he or she is lying down, it would fall next to the head. It is believed that Reeves was lying down at the
- The police were not called for at least half an hour to 45 minutes after the death. The theory is that Leonore and the houseguests had to sober up
so they could get their stories straight.
- Over the years, the general assumption has been that Reeves was depressed over the Superman show's cancellation, and this depression caused him to
take his own life. He was supposedly unhappy over being "typecast" in the Superman role and unhappy over not being able to get any other roles.
However, his supposed "slump" was over by the time of his death, and his friends agreed he was happier than had been in years. He was looking
forward to his marriage and to another season of the popular TV show, which had just been rescheduled for the following season. Money wasn't a
problem either; he got residuals from the Superman reruns and other sources. In addition, he had reportedly signed a five-picture deal with Paramount
Who Killed Superman?
In 1999, Beverly Hills publicist Edward Lozzi claimed on the tabloid-TV show Extra that before her death a bedridden Toni had confessed to her
priest, while Lozzi was present, that she had had George killed. Lozzi said that none of the thugs who worked for Eddie Mannix were alive any more and
he now felt safe to talk. Recently he told the LA Times Toni had confessed "because she was absolutely terrified of going to hell". Again, her
confession provides no practical explanation of how the TV star was killed with a house full of witnesses.
Other mysterious bullet holes were found in the house. Two were in the floor, with one bullet lodged in the wall of the downstairs living room. Lemmon
claimed they'd got there after she fired the gun in an argument with Reeves. Lemmon's volatile nature and Vesuvian temper tantrums have long made
her a prime suspect in projected murder scenarios, but here again there is no satisfactory evidence. She did however claim, 30 years later to a young
reporter when she was in her declining years in New York, that Bliss had concocted her step-by-step "predictions" of Reeves' suicide.
George Reeves Basic Info
The police report would have you believe that while entertaining his fiancée (Lenore Lemon) and three friends in the house, George suddenly and
with no explanation impulsively decided to commit suicide.
"The LAPD report said he simply went up to his bedroom, placed a pistol above his right ear and pulled the trigger."
Weissman says Reeves was playing one of his favorite practical jokes -- firing a blank pistol to needlessly alarm party goers.
Weissman believed the blank bullet was replaced by a live round by either MGM tough guy exec EDDIE MANNIX or his 25 years younger sexbomb wife TONI
who had been carrying on an affair with Reeves right under the nose of her powerful hubby.