It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GMO Foods in our children's schools.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   

31 million GMO school lunches are served a day to our children in America.

These meals also contain food dyes, pesticides, synthetic chemicals and high fructose corn syrup which have been linked to diabetes, autism, food allergies, ADHD and auto immune diseases.

www.momsacrossamerica.com...

This information should really piss you off! At a minimum we should demand labeling of genitacally modified foods personally I advocate banning them like so many other countries have. Feeding GMO foods to children while their brains and bodies are still developing is asking for trouble, and it is all in the name of profits?

What are the risks, you ask?

Animal studies suggest that GM foods pose a significant health danger and, at the very least, need to be subjected to extensive testing. In a recent independent study by a Russian team of scientists led by Alexey Surov, hamsters fed a diet of genetically modified (GM) soy were sterile by the third generation. In an Austrian study, similar results were shown for mice. Other studies report significant damage to the livers and stomachs of laboratory animals, along with higher rates of cancerous tissue, when fed a diet of genetically modified food.

www.nycgreenschools.org...

What crops are commonly genetically modified?

More and more foods and products are being genetically engineered or contain genetically engineered ingredients. Here are eight of the most common to look out for. If a product contains these ingredients and is not labeled non-GMO Verified or Organic Certified, there’s a good chance it contains GMOs:
1.Alfalfa
2.Canola
3.Corn
4.Cotton
5.Papaya
6.Soy
7.Sugar Beets
8.Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash

ALSO high-risk: animal products (milk, meat, eggs, honey, etc.) because of contamination in feed.

action.greenamerica.org...

Let's not forget about the Enzymes used to make Beer, Wine, juices and soft drinks. Many of these are produced with the help of genetically modified microorganisms.

animalrights.about.com...

Are Hybrid and Seedless Fruits GMO?
Short answer: No.
Long answer:
www.incrediblesmoothies.com...

Comments ATS?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I could go on and on about this subject but I will just state the facts pertaining to what is going on here. It is way more complex than just GMO.

There is no long term evidence that GMO food, in the quantity and consistancy that we are consuming them, is safe.

We jumped the gun and boosted consumption quickly while other countries are just waiting to see if something will happen to us, using moderation in their consumption.

We are the Guinea pigs of the world. There is no law that holds any corporations leaders liable as long as the food is approved by the FDA for consumption. The regulations take into consideration that any unknown side effects of consumption are unknown so nobody is liable. What is not known is their defense.

Corporations will not do testing that will jeopardize their continued income, the FDA does not do much testing at all, and the testing done by the FDA is only for known problems.

So there is evidence that consuming occasional small amounts won't harm us yet the stuff seems to be in most foods we eat. We were led to believe they are safe, when in fact there is no evidence saying they are safe at the levels we are eating them. Sure, you won't have effects for a while, but they can blame the future sickness on us saying we are flawed or we ate the wrong diet.

Look at all the people on Meds today. Look at all the people with Cancer and new diseases. We lived and died before, we weren't always this sick. So now the only way we can survive is to take medications....because they say we messed up. We did not approve all this bad chemistry in foods, the FDA did.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

So because the FDA approved them that means we should just go along quietly?
At a minimum label them so we know how much we are consuming and can leave them alone if we so choose.

14 year old Rachel Parent debates Kevin O'Leary on the issue of Genetically Modified Food

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   
We should have the ability to know if genetically modified material is in our food. Being that these corporations have BSed the businesses to buy their products doesn't mean that we should not be required to know if they are in there. If people want to eat them and become part of an experiment, I see no problem. The right to know is what I want. All the label has to say is that they are in there and it would nice to know the percentage of GMO material used in their products. This includes a percentage in the animal feed used to feed the animal. A little GMO occasionally isn't going to hurt anyone much. Having them every day could be a problem. I don't know if the oil produced will be more of a problem than the fact that we use too much vegetable oil in the first place. We only started consuming vegetable oils about two generations ago, before that only animal fats were used broadly. We were lied to about vegetable oils being good for us also. Maybe now, after two or three generations, we have got more used to them. They are hard on the gut flora though. We should have a lot more diverse population in our guts to protect us and keep us healthy. Oils kill off a lot of good bacteria, allowing some to get too populated.

We got a mess here that goes back a hundred years. The mess had misapplied scientific evidence backing it. Be careful what you believe, those who want to profit from us may bend the truth and cut it with lies.
edit on 6-1-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   
I to find genetics and the application of it's use fascinating and a bit scary because of the unknowns - the anomolies we will see resultant of it's applications.

I've faced the reality of it - though. We are going to tinker. We just can't help ourselves. Whether we should or shouldn't we just want to race to the knowledge first. Not just with our foods, but our medicines and own self also. Body modification at the cellular level - it's not the future - it's here.

Working in the field of medicine - I know what early results we are noticing, and it's down played in the media and news. Nevertheless, autoimmune disorders have increased at impossible rates, allergies, and a few neuro-biological disorders are likely linked to genetically modifying our food, medicine, and ourselves. It's the price we pay playing alchemist.

Yet with all that said, I still support the field of genetics and feel we must continue on. We just need better ethics, unbiased honesty, and a willingness to dump what's bad even if at a loss of profit. Just label the stuff already and continue forward.

CdT

new topics

top topics

join