It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange lights in sky aren't UFOs; they're 'earthquake lights,' scientists reveal

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Strange lights in sky aren't UFOs; they're 'earthquake lights,' scientists reveal

The very real – and rare – phenomenon of lights appearing in the sky just before an earthquake strikes has been solved. They are not UFOs. Instead, researchers say the lights likely are the result of crystalline structure of the magmatic stones, which when subjected to intense pressure releases electrical energy.

According to the website designtrend.com, the new findings have been published in the journal Seismological Research Letters. Researchers analyzed 65 documented occurrences of earthquake lights from 1600 to the present, among them the Great San Francisco Earthquake in which people saw streams of light running along the ground two nights preceding that great earthquake.

The study noted an electrical current that flows out of some earthquake fault lines as...

I'm just as open minded as anyone else about ET but this makes sense and could account for a few of the 'Sightings' I'm not going to throw in the towel on the little guys coming to visit/study us just yet. I wonder if this explanation can account for all the sightings in the Peruvian desert or in California right before they experience an Earthquake?

Does anybody know if people in either China or Japan see these lights right before they get hit?
edit on 6-1-2014 by SLAYER69 because: Spelling, slaps a bug too

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Cool find. I'm not big into UFOs or anything but it almost seems hard to believe that lights appear because of rocks. Just saying but im not a scientist

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I didn't think this was new, or news?

Naturally occurring Piezoelectric "Earth Light" events have been recorded and documented for awhile now ... I thought.

Hmmm.

I'm guessing I'm just taking it for granted that this is common knowledge?

Ah well.

Cue the resistance to Science crowd.

edit on 1/6/2014 by AliceBleachWhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I think this is one of those things I'd have to see to believe, or at least have a better explanation to the phenomena than what they've given here. This just seems like a "Ah, well there you have it.." moment where all strange lights in the sky are explained. If the evidence was so concrete, I would imagine there would be far more interest in it for earthquake forecasting.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Hmm perhaps they meant these lights:
Sichuan, China - 2008. Earthquake lights 30 minutes before the earthquake:

Christchurch, New Zealand - 2011. Earthquake lights days before the earthquake:

Sakurajima Volcano, Japan -2011. Blaze of light and smaller floating balls of lights shooting out of the earth:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

Those are neat. I'd like to see a video of the event at the Volcano in Japan. As interesting as these are, it doesn't look at all like what it seems they're talking about.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:58 AM
link   
...and was there an earthquake?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I think the one in Christchurch looks like a sundog
2nd

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I wonder if this is related to earthquake booms? Like lightening and thunder?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
As for the OP's picture, that was in Ireland.

Link

Which turned out to be lanterns?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Ecidemon

I'm going with Earthquake lights.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Wow....... no offense at all to OP but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Im not knocking anyone that believes this story but I just cant fathom it.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Maybe when we truly understand this phenomena, we too will be traversing the universe in craft utilising these lights.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
There can be other causes other than earthquakes for these phenomenon. They are sometimes found near swamps or can even manifest over certain geological areas where energy flows through the earth. They have found the path that forms them, now they just need to research the path better.

Energy builds in water as it flows. This can also form above large water bodies. A lightning strike to the water energizes the surface tension on top of the water and this energy can be routed through a high point and attach to a molecule to make it form it's own spherical energy tension sort of like the energy that flows around a high tension wire. I am assuming this from reading many articles, I have no way of testing this hypothesis.

When a surface tension builds up on metal or a glass it reflects light and can change the frequency of other energy to make light. We see ourselves in a mirror because the surface tension reflects the energy of light that we reflect from the light in the environment. We absorb what we do not reflect. this is what color is all about.

So maybe now someone will test this. I hate it when Science denies something without investigating it, this makes the the person who witnesses something lose credibility. I understand the rules of science, something is not real until it is proven real and the reason it happens is understood. This makes some people who have seen this kind of stuff be considered a little looney by their peers who do not understand how science works. Scientists say there is no evidence, this is the clue. They usually do not say it does not exist unless there is evidence to prove it does not exist. I wish people would understand the difference.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I know a person that claimed to have seen earthquake lights at the time of a minor quake (4.3) in Pennsylvania in the early 1990's.
I was familiar with the term, but it wasn't established by science at the time that they really existed AFAIK.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I never heard of it before but it seems also discussed in Nature

A new catalogue of earthquake lights — mysterious glows sometimes reported before or during seismic shaking — finds that they happen most often in geological rift environments, where the ground is pulling apart. The work is the latest to tackle the enigmatic lights, which have been described by eyewitnesses for centuries but are yet to be fully explained by scientists

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Ahhh... yes... the debate continues.

Some call it " earthquake lights " while others call it "earth stresses" while other people call it UFO sightings.

Are all reports related to Earth stresses?

To the Alien believer the answer is no. To the non believer the answer is yes.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Daver2056

Wow....... no offense at all to OP but this is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. Im not knocking anyone that believes this story but I just cant fathom it.

Ya, "earthquake lights" sounds WAY more unrealistic than little gray men in flying saucers. LOL!!

This MUST have something to do with global warming!! (end sarcasm)

The pic in the OP isn't a good representation of what 'earthquake lights' actually look like but I have no doubt they do occur.

edit on 6-1-2014 by seabag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:01 AM
link   

AliceBleachWhite
Cue the resistance to Science crowd.

I don't resist science, but I don't totally buy into it either. Science is just like religion. Constantly proved wrong. But sometimes they both get things right.

Though I'm thinking that this one may be right. Could we be looking at a big event soon? Only time will tell.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Daver2056

but I just cant fathom it.

Then you shouldn't have an opinion at all champ...

S69: Most likely accounts for a high percentage of sightings, but I doubt it could be applied to all, so it's still 'up in the air'...get it? 'up in the air'..'?

I know - lame...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join