It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Christian Library in Lebanon Burned Down - Owner Falsely Accused of Insulting Muhammad

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Greek Orthodox Priest Father Surouj ran a Christian library in Lebanon. It had a collection of 80,000 books. It is now in ashes because someone claimed to have found a pamphlet that was unflattering to Muhammad in one of the books and they blamed the priest. Lebanon has claimed to be religiously tolerant in the past. Some are saying this violence is a spill over from the war in Syria.

Lebanon Christian Library Burned Down after Owner Falsely Accused of Insulting Islam/Mohammed

A Christian library in the northern Lebanese city of Tripoli was intentionally burned down on Friday night after its owner, a Greek Orthodox priest, was falsely accused of writing an article insulting Islam and the prophet Mohammed.

Assailants set fire to the Saeh Library, destroying two-thirds of the collection of 80,000 books and manuscripts, the French news agency Agence France-Presse reported.

Father Ibrahim Surouj, a Greek Orthodox priest who owns the library was earlier accused of writing a pamphlet that was insulting to Islam and the prophet Mohammed, a Lebanese security source told AFP.

The unnamed source said that later, however, “it became clear the priest had nothing to do with the pamphlet.”

People in the area weren't happy with the library being burned down.
Yahoo News - Protests Against the Burning Down of the Christian Library

Hundreds of Lebanese took to the streets of the northern city of Tripoli on Saturday to protest the torching of a decades-old library owned by a Greek Orthodox priest.

The demonstrators held up banners that read "Tripoli, peaceful town" and "This is contrary to the values ​​of the Prophet," in reference to the Muslim Prophet Mohammed.

Assailants set alight the Saeh library belonging to Father Ibrahim Surouj on Friday night, destroying two-thirds of the 80,000 books and manuscripts it stored, a security official told AFP.

The priest forgives the attackers and is praying for them. A person at this website wrote that they read the pamphlet and it was about Muhammads sexual life - taken from the Kitab al Tabakat. From what I understand, that's an Islamic source. So I don't know why the people who burned down the library would be upset. But then again, they are ignorant enough to go burn down a library, so who knows.

Anyways ... a sad loss ... the burning down of a library by ignorant people.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:37 AM
link   
What is it with the burning of libraries? Has alexandria not cost us enough?

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
It saddens me when people go out of their way to destroy vast libraries of knowledge. Such places are perhaps some of the most important for the progress of human civilisation.

At least the people of Tripoli are supporting the priest and his now burnt library in the matter.

Thank you for this news.

- Daas.
edit on 6-1-2014 by daaskapital because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

3asya5pi3
What is it with the burning of libraries? Has alexandria not cost us enough?

AMEN! Burning books and the knowledge they hold rates a special kind of disgust and revulsion from me. Adding religious superiority to it as the logic just makes for 2 strikes. I'll throw the 3rd in free for being Lebanon.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:07 AM
link   
So that gives christians the right to burn down or blow up a mosque because that offends me. Damn sick and tired of hearing about these lunatics that seem to think murder and mayhem is justified for being offended yet fail to see how that is offensive.

And worse yet is how you can't speak out about it because that is offensive to muslims.
If a group of Christians were to start a campaign of blowing up mosques you know how fast they would be condemned.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Most libraries and book collections, mine included, contain at least one copy of the Koran, even Christian collections.
That being said, what is the penalty for burning the Koran? or does that only apply if it is knowingly burned?

The Lebanon blog A Separate State of Mind called the library a “true national treasure” adding that many of the books in its collection were, “ironically, books about Islam.”

www.theblaze.com... m-mohammed/
edit on 6-1-2014 by RedmoonMWC because: to add link

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by tinner07

I know right, it is ridiculous. I feel it is more so about revenge. I have a friend who one hand talks about all this peace, and on the other has a vendetta against Jews.

There is a quote I heard somewhere 'How do you forgive the murderer of your father?' I don't think I will ever understand their perspective. Violence breeds violence.

It must be said though, we must be careful not to stereotype Islam as a whole. The actions of a few do not reflect the intentions of many.
edit on 6-1-2014 by 3asya5pi3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

RedmoonMWC
what is the penalty for burning the Koran? or does that only apply if it is knowingly burned?

Good point. There were probably at least a few copies of the Qu'ran and/or Islamic
books in that building.

This isn't Lebanon but ... Pakistani Girl Faces Death Penalty For Burning Qu'ran

Wikipedia - Qu'ran Desecration

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:43 AM
link   
I would love to travel to the middle east, but with all this fighting over who has most powerful invisible fairy in the sky, i say screw it.

Religion a neurological disorder...

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 05:15 AM
link   

daaskapital
At least the people of Tripoli are supporting the priest and his now burnt library in the matter.

I was happy to see that. Considering how dangerous it is to go up against the nutters who burn down libraries simply because of a rumor about a supposed insult .. I'd say those folks are brave.

posted on Jan, 7 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

FlyersFan
Considering how dangerous it is to go up against the nutters who burn down libraries simply because of a rumor about a supposed insult .. I'd say those folks are brave.

Hear-hear!

new topics

top topics

join