It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

John Kerry on Military Support for Iraq : "this is their fight."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 08:13 AM
link   

John Kerry on Military Support for Iraq : "this is their fight."

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry has responded to the extremist occupation of the cities of Fallujah and Ramadi in Iraq, saying that the U.S. will assist the Iraqi government through non-military means.

Kerry stated that the U.S. will not put boots on the ground, as they consider the occupation of Fallujah and Ramadi by terrorists as "their [the Iraq Government's] fight."

While i am neither Iraqi or American, i find Kerry's response to the situation distasteful, particularly considering the US started all this crap by invading Iraq in the first place. That, and the fact that they left the country in a state of disarray and ruin. It was only a matter of time before terrorists began to retake land in Iraq, thus threatening not only the region, but Western nation-states as well.

While sending troops over to take back the cities would be controversial, the USA should probably go and finish what they started.

After all, it is pretty arrogant of the USA to completely destroy a nation and leave it in ruin, only to tell them later that the occupation of key cities in their country is their own fight.

Real classy, America.

www.foxnews.com...

www.bbc.co.uk...

news.sky.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   

After all, it is pretty arrogant of the USA to completely destroy a nation and leave it in ruin, only to tell them later that the occupation of key cities in their country is their own fight.

Why are you just talking about America? America wasn't alone in destroying that nation it had help. The United Kingdom, Denmark, Australia, Poland and the Ukraine was with America when this happened so cry about them as well. The new government in Iraq needs to learn how to run their nation. So you need to change your whine about America thread to a whine about the coalition thread.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
And if Kerry had garenteed military support you would all be crying about why are you sacrificeing more Americans for a foreign problem.

Eitherway no win.

PS before some blockhead calls me a Obama and Kerry lover Im not. Im just pointing out a fact.
edit on 6-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The Obama administration didn't make a SOFA Agreement.

This sucks. But it'd suck either way.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Oh, come now Buster. Iraq is 100% bought and paid for American Disaster. Britain is a close 2nd for credits and headline space, since they did outright control a whole sector of the nation for a good part of the war. The other nations tho? We have to all but drag them and they barely gave anything ...generally speaking as a group.... anyway. The bear's share of troops AND casualties were split between Washington and London.

We broke it. We bought it and Kerry should be ASHAMED of himself. HE of ALL people...is pathetic to extremes.

Did he say in 1975 that the South Vietnamese had their own fight, so too bad, hope it all works out and we had nothing to do with it?!

Oh...wait.. HE didn't have to own that one as a leading member of the Government that MADE it. He had the luxury to be public then, as he was, and certainly wasn't giving America any breaks THAT time.

Iraq is as bad or worse for the endless fight we've left behind us..in what started as merely ONE madman and his pack of jackals running the nation. Now it's a 3 sided fight to the death for the Soul of Iraq itself.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The way this war(s) was fought, leadership should be ashamed.

The military did it's job, what they could, with all the influence from DC.

Blame Bush, blame Obama, it's not going to bring back the dead. And an inept leadership would probably make things worse.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

buster2010

Why are you just talking about America? America wasn't alone in destroying that nation it had help. The United Kingdom, Denmark, Australia, Poland and the Ukraine was with America when this happened so cry about them as well. The new government in Iraq needs to learn how to run their nation. So you need to change your whine about America thread to a whine about the coalition thread.

Indeed other countries were involved in the Iraq War, but they were only a small presence when compared to the USA. Furthermore, they weren't the ones who mislead the international public in order to instigate the invasion of Iraq, the USA was. Also, the smaller countries didn't disrespect the nation-state they once occupied by telling them the battle is their own, after leaving the country in such a disadvantaged way.

Yes the Iraq government needs to learn how to run their own country, but they are very low on the ladder for stable countries. I am surprised they are not yet classed as a failed state. obviously a country in such circumstances would need direct help from the largest country of which left them in such a position.

No, my problem is not with the other countries. My problem is with Kerry's obvious disrespectful remark to Iraq, after his country completely abandoned the nation-state in such a way.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:33 AM
link   

If the USA and UK could fix it then I would say maybe finnsih the job.

But can Iraq really be fixed?

If the USA and UK go back in a whole new generation of troops could end end sacrificeing themselfs for a problem that most likley cant be fixed.

Just going in with good intentions and hopeing for the best could very well end up getting more people killed for nothing.

As breezer said. Let the blame for the mess lye with Bush, Obama, Blair and Brown, blame the leaders, demand that they stand trial for warcrimes. Dont send another round of American and British troops into the meat grinder, they did their job, not there fault the job was flawed from the beguining by our leadership.
edit on 6-1-2014 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:36 AM
link   

beezzer

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The Obama administration didn't make a SOFA Agreement.

This sucks. But it'd suck either way.

Yeah, i agree.

I don't think it would have hurt as much had Kerry not made that stupid remark. It's just adding salt to the wound.

I understand that the USA is supporting Iraq on the matter, but i think they need more than just operational support. I think Iraq needs some direct help in order to be able to combat these groups.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen.

The USA is indeed in a damned position.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Sounds like another Viet Nam . Fight a War our Goverment Refuses to Win , then Leave a Country to it's Own Inevitable Fate .....

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Kerry pretty much had to say that it is their fight. The voters would be outraged if we went back into Iraq. It would hand a supermajority to the GOP come November.

I have to roll my eyes at the hypocrisy in the Beltway.

But Iraq didn't want our people on the ground there unless it was by their rules. I don't blame them, it's their country after all, but we have to look out for our own as well (The SOFA that Beez mentioned).

But the conspiracy side of me says that this is orchastrated. Lose a bunch of towns to Al-Qaida and eventually the Iraqi gov't will be screaming for NATO to help out.
edit on 6-1-2014 by TDawgRex because: Missed a word

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Zanti Misfit

Sounds like another Viet Nam . Fight a War our Goverment Refuses to Win , then Leave a Country to it's Own Inevitable Fate .....

Yep. It is quite disappointing to see it happen in the 21st century. The USA/Allies should have learnt from past mistakes.

The same will probably happen next year when Afghanistan descends further into turmoil once the majority of the allied troops leave... :/

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Well, we can not go back in. No matter what happens now. As we have done before as a nation, we so totally wore our welcome, nothing but end times would have them willing to see U.S. military power back as a part of life.

Still, basically wishing them well and leaving them to die is hardly the right thing either.

This isn't like a fully independent nation we're talking about. We've controlled by stranglehold, their military supply/training/build up. They have no functional air force, a weak and what we viewed as controllable ground force (worthless to them now, essentially) and an experience corps of troops that know the U.S. as 911 on their radios ...little else.

This, after war, a decade of sanctions and another decade of war ..WE did... Kerry figures it's right to just write them off this way? Oh.. NO I say. This is so wrong it vibrates with it.

He'd better think very long and hard about *HIS* people in the Baghdad Embassy too. It may SEEM impenetrable, but history is littered with the ruins of impenetrable fortresses. That will add to the pile if we stay too long this time....especially with this attitude from Government on our side.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:47 AM
link   

No, my problem is not with the other countries. My problem is with Kerry's obvious disrespectful remark to Iraq, after his country completely abandoned the nation-state in such a way.

So telling another nation that they should solve their own problems is disrespectful? So you think America should be at Iraq's beck and call and we should solve every problem they have now.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

You forgot that it already spinning off into Africa as well.

I miss the Cold War. Oddly enough, things seemed to be a little more stable then compared to how they are now.

I did say "a little", not "a lot".

Of course, we didn't have the interwebz back then so the control of information made it easier to contain the fear.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Zanti Misfit

What was the goal of the Iraq war? To remove Hussein from office and form a new government and that was done. So where did the ignorant refuse to win comment come from.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:52 AM
link   
I know it's out of context, but I think this sums up the mentality of DC thinking in terms of Iraq.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

What is kinda ironic is that the US & the UK helped bring about these insurgents through the "Sons of Iraq" or "The Awakening" operations. We armed and trained them. They're mainly Sunni.

The thing that many people do not get about the various conflicts in the world (especially the Middle East and Africa) is that they are not civil wars, but rather a continuation of tribal warfare that goes back centuries. And until one side or the other is totally wiped out or subjugated, it'll continue.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

buster2010

So telling another nation that they should solve their own problems is disrespectful? So you think America should be at Iraq's beck and call and we should solve every problem they have now.

It is when the country issuing the statement had occupied the other country for years, before leaving it in disarray and ruin...

No, i do not believe that. I believe that the USA (and maybe some larger allies) should be responsible for overseeing Iraq's path into the near future. They left the country in a bad way, so they should be guiding it in the right direction.

The USA claims to be fighting terrorism. Well i don't know if your government knows, but leaving a country to be engulfed by terrorists and destruction is no way to win the war of which they had declared.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Iraq, Afghanistan, America did not go into iraq only for saddam.. America
had to go into the middle east to break up the terrorist strong holds.
They were getting TOO powerful. Look at what Bin Laden was able to do with a rag tag group.
We will be back in the middle east, it is not over..
Anyone who thinks it is over is kidding themselves.. Someone had to go in and kill off some of them off.
Kerry I do not like him, but what do you want him to say? All we can do is wait now and let them give us
another excuse to go and bust them up again...
The world IS SAFER because of this war, it was not a total failure.
The terrorist can not keep their leaders alive long enough right now to plan anything big..
We have them on the defense... Iraq government better buck up or they will get run over again.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join