It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Whaling "Research"?!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Mamatus

starfoxxx
The sea shepherd and their captain are going to get someone killed.

They are only allowed to kill so many whales for research, so what if they are researching
different ways to cook, eat and prepare?
They should be able to reasonably kill x amount of whales
for food. It is no ones business if they want to eat whales.

It's no ones business if I want to kill and eat you either. Other than it is illegal. Oh wait, so is whaling inside a whale sanctuary....

It is not illegal, it is for research.. Take them to court. Using violent means against
the whalers is not right. They are using them for research!!!!

They are researching ways to prepare, cook, and eat whales.. BIG DEAL

Like deer hunting has regulations, so all the deer are not killed off, same with whales..
As long as they are not threatening their existence I say bon apitite'.
edit on 6-1-2014 by starfoxxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Mamatus

Well, I'm a leftist acctually...

I'm all for saving endangered species, but I'm really against risking fellow sailors' lives. Having been in life threatening situations at sea I know what it means to trust other boats in your vicinity.

The Japanese whaling fleet are skirting the rules of international whaling treaties, and I hope they can at some point adhere to them in the same way as Norway and Iceland. Australia and New Zealand are doing a great job in that regard.

But my feelings towards the idiot Paul Watson stands. Ratings are obviously more imortant than whales, his crew's life and that of the crew of the whaling boats he attack.

And btw, I eat minke whale every summer. Raw, thinly sliced on flatbread with onion and crème fraiche, delicious. Beer or wine on the side, your choice. Caught a couple of miles outside my living room, within a sustainable quota of course.
The price lies around 50$us per kg. (For prime cuts).

edit on 2014-01-06T11:15:04-06:00amMon, 06 Jan 2014 11:15:04 -0600ambam2014 by carabao because: To add prime cuts.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wow, the "Blaster Bates" syndrome once again I have seemingly dropped a hand grenade into the cesspit!

I take my hat off to a couple of you posters for your knowledge and experience.

Lifting the lid on the dolphin slaughter was a fine achievement, if it's the particular filming that I saw you put yourselves at risk from Japanese fishermen and Law Enforcement never mind nature itself.
The whales, dolphins, orca or whatever, cannot speak for themselves, well, not as we can quite understand just yet, but that's another story.

Earning a living at sea earns my respect. I used to earn mine between the Scillies and the Shetlands so have seen a wee bit myself and sailed for pleasure for decades including across Biscay. I never had any desire to endure a round the world race or solo event but have nothing but respect and admiration for those that do it.

I have mixed views about Watson, but do remember all the crews volunteer and know what could happen if TSTF in any way. They are however prepared to put their lives on the line in highlighting the plight of the whales and the barbarity of the Japs, but as they never accept they ever do or get anything wrong don't expect any change soon.

Watson, I believe was originally a co-founder of Greenpeace, which I continue to have supported from the days before the original Rainbow Warrior was sunk by the French with the loss of a photographers life. Good luck to Sea Shepherds I say, they are prepared to do what they do for the right reasons. Those that sponsor openly or otherwise that movement deserve respect and recognition.

The Japs don't need whale meat to exist, however, for those that practice traditional, subsistence whaling, I have a tolerance for their way of life. Those that hunt as per the Japs, I have nothing but contempt for and splashing whaling for research etc. across the whaling or factory ship is pure theatre.

Not sure what, if anything will stop these butchers activities but at least Watson and crews are keeping it in the media and ATS.

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Shuftystick

Isn't "Jap" an ethnic slur?
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 6 2014 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I see it as no worse than being referred to as Taff as a Welshman, Brit for a Britisher. yank for an American, pole for a Polish person, Swede for a Swedish person and Dane for a native of Denmark.

It's an abbreviation, although I accept that in the USA in particular it might be considered offensive, but more due to its other meaning viz. Jewish American Princess, which is derogatory.

Anyhow, apologies to anyone offended, no disrespect intended.

Regards

A Taff!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join